Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #1

Given a LX, but clueless about camera.

Looking for general info as to condition and value. There are a few lenses included, but from what I can tell, most of them are pretty cheap and not worth much.

Pentax - Album on Imgur

03-11-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can I suggest you visit
- who has some good information on the LX.

The LX has a few key known issues - relating the the electronics and the 'sticky mirror' syndrome. The status of these issues for a particular LX will be a determinant of the condition and value.
03-11-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax LX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Your gallery gives a 404...
03-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Thanks. Here's the updated link.

Pentax - Album on Imgur

03-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Your camera is cosmetically in so-so condition, though not as rough as some I have seen. To get an idea of value, completed auctions on eBay is a good resource. From appearances, your camera may need service (the mirror is not supposed to be in the up position). When/if you decide to sell, value would be enhanced if in working condition with a recent clean/lube/adjust (CLA) service. The marketplace on this site is a good place to sell Pentax gear (selling or promoting an auction listing from the forums is not allowed) should you decide to not keep the camera.

BTW...the last photo in the series of posted images is a different camera...Minolta X-700? It looks to be a good example...nice camera

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-11-2017 at 09:00 PM.
03-12-2017, 12:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can download the manual from here PENTAX MANUALS

password is Pentax
03-12-2017, 01:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your camera is cosmetically in so-so condition, though not as rough as some I have seen. To get an idea of value, completed auctions on eBay is a good resource. From appearances, your camera may need service (the mirror is not supposed to be in the up position). When/if you decide to sell, value would be enhanced if in working condition with a recent clean/lube/adjust (CLA) service. The marketplace on this site is a good place to sell Pentax gear (selling or promoting an auction listing from the forums is not allowed) should you decide to not keep the camera.

BTW...the last photo in the series of posted images is a different camera...Minolta X-700? It looks to be a good example...nice camera

Steve
Was going to say the same thing, either mirror lockup being enabled, or the mirror is jammed up and not supposed to be. I wonder what the CLA cost for a LX would normally be.

03-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
Was going to say the same thing, either mirror lockup being enabled, or the mirror is jammed up and not supposed to be. I wonder what the CLA cost for a LX would normally be.
Mirror lockup would have the multi-function lever off the center position. CLA for an LX is over $200, depending on what needs to be done.

Steve
03-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
CLA for an LX is over $200, depending on what needs to be done.
And the parts to do even a basic CLA are getting scarce...
03-13-2017, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Here is a nice review too. My LX just arrived, so curious to see what shape it's in once I get home.

Pentax LX Camera Review – The Best Professional 35mm SLR Around – Casual Photophile