Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #1

Spotmatic help

Hi,
Being new, I don't know if this problem has been discussed, I looked on the forums but couldn't see anything.

I was given a Spotmatic. Everything seemed fine and I wound the advance lever and hit the shutter button. Everything was fine, shutter worked, everything. Next time I wound the lever, though, it stuck. Everything stuck. I thought maybe I had unknowningly used the self timer thing. I ran the lever, maybe not the best idea, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I can't advance the lever, the shutter stays closed. I read on this forum about the little lever on the bottom of the camera that can slip off it's track, so I opened it to take a look. Everything looked like it should. While I was in there, I cleaned it a little and put a couple of toothpick sized drops of watch oil on the gears. Then closed it up again.

It's just the same frozen completely.

any ideas? Should I just be glad I didn't pay for it and call it a day?

03-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am assuming that the camera did not come with a forgotten film that has come to its end. Try going through the film-rewind drill.
03-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I am assuming that the camera did not come with a forgotten film that has come to its end. Try going through the film-rewind drill.
Yup, the first thing I checked...nothing in the compartment.
03-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say the shutter curtain didn't complete its travel in previous shot. Open the back door and check the shutter curtain. If you're lucky, you may see a seam on it, where you may help it to complete its travel. The way to do is to use your finger nail to get hold of that seam and pull it to left I believe. Once it completes, you will notice it. Then, you should be able to wind again.

03-13-2017, 01:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have have always read that shutters should never, ever be touched. If the mechanics have seized then I think you need to look for the solution in there, not by trying to force the shutter.
03-13-2017, 07:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given it is a Spotmatic, I guess it is not worth to have it repaired. Plus, the shutter is cloth shutter, not as sensitive as metal ones. I have even tried on my ME Super's metal shutter, no problem at all.

But if it is indeed shutter travel issue, I think the problem will come back even if you may temporarily make it work.

Last edited by hyyz; 03-13-2017 at 02:16 PM.
03-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You may be able to sell it for a parts camera.

03-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
Given it is a Spotmatic, I guess it is not worth to have it repaired. Plus, the shutter is cloth shutter, not as sensitive as metal ones. I have even tried on my ME Super's metal shutter, no problem at all.

But if it is indeed shutter travel issue, I think the problem will come back even if you may temporarily make it work.
Thanks everyone. Sadly, no seam was visible. I gently...and then I admit not so gently tried to move the curtain along but no go. something is truly jamming the progress of the shutter curtain. I'm thinking this is going on my parts camera shelf
03-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check inside the mirror box. See if the mirror has moved up fully to free the curtains. Once I was able to free things by gently nudging a lever visible through a slot in the mirror box.