Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
MZ Plastic Gear Replacement

I received a reply from Eric yesterday saying he didn't have parts to repair the mirror getting stuck on my MZ-3. The spring that holds up the pop-up flash is either disconnected or broken too. Im guessing the mirror problem is being caused by the split plastic gear.

Does anyone know where I can get a metal gear, or is there someone else who does these repairs and has parts? Anyone here willing to fix these issues?

03-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are stacks of these for sale on ebay, for parts, as is, etc. I would guess mostly they have the same problems.
03-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There have been several threads here with repair instructions, including a source for the replacement brass gear.

Here's the first one I came across:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/39450-mz5n-mirror-blocked-service-manual.html

Good luck if you attempt the repair.

Chris
03-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You can buy the pivot for the flash which is what normally breaks from US Camera. Since it's the same part it will eventually break again. Both this part and the spring are broken on my MZ-50 so a DIY repair was unsuccessful. See the various threads on PF for DIY repair ideas. I tried the little brass/aluminum tube fix but because the spring is broken too it didn't work.

Genuine Pentax Flash Head Left Pivot Frame ZX10 ZX30 ZXM ZX5 ZX5n Replacement Spare Repair Part | 27250-q701 | uscamera.com

03-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the links, guys. I ordered a brass gear for the mirror motor. In the camera reviews, one says the MZ/ZX-60 has a brass gear, and another review says it still has plastic. Can anybody confirm which one it is?

Also, still looking for a volunteer to perform the repairs for a small fee. I have a ZX-50 to donate for flash pieces.
03-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm still wondering if the MZ-S has the brass gear? That is a camera I have thought about purchasing.
03-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The MZ-S was introduced later and was positioned as a professional model.
It bears little resemblance to the other MZ/ZX cameras except in name.
I'd be surprised if it shares the same multifunction motor. Eric would know.

Chris
03-21-2017, 03:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It's not the motor that fails but the plastic gear. The replacement part was a motor with a brass gear. Presumably it is just as easy to replace the motor and gear rather than remove the motor, repace gear and reinstall motor. I can hear the motor running in my MZ-50 - continuously since the gear isn't turning to complete the cycle.

03-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, that's what my MZ-3 is doing, the motor is making a strange noise and the mirror stays up. I can physically return the mirror to its lowered position, but when I take another photo, the mirror stays up again.

I can't find the motor available anywhere, so I just ordered the gear. I'd rather replace the entire motor, but...
03-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Later the replacement part supplied by Pentax was motor with brass gear.
Eric installed one of these units in the MZ-3 I had years ago.

Pressing the new brass gear onto the motor might be tricky.
Be careful not to damage the motor. Nothing in these cameras is overbuilt.

Chris
03-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've heard of these issues but haven't paid them much heed as of yet because my MZ-3 has worked perfectly thus far. Sounds as if I ought to be a bit proactive in the part procurement department. Was it one of you folks that just brought it to mind on a Flickr post recently??

07-27-2017, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #12

I successfully put one of the brass gears on my MZ-3. The level of force fit is "just right", so I don't see any risk of damaging the motor. It's very fiddly doing it with tweezers, but can be done. Nice not having to unsolder many wires from flex print.
07-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Shriver Quote
I successfully put one of the brass gears on my MZ-3. The level of force fit is "just right", so I don't see any risk of damaging the motor. It's very fiddly doing it with tweezers, but can be done. Nice not having to unsolder many wires from flex print.
Can you post more details on the process? What steps did you take, did you glue the gear, any challenges to be aware of, etc?
07-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Just press the brass gear on. You want to apply force on both ends of the drive shaft which should extend past the bearings on either end of the motor. Make sure the gear clears the bearing (you don't push it on too far).

07-29-2017, 02:10 AM   #15
Ani

I just fixed my Mz-3 a week ago, turned out it already had a brass gear (I bought it from jpn might have been fixed before?) but the issue was part of the mirror return leaver. The lowest portion that acts on the cam on the great gear was broken. A little creativity and super glue and it's back in working order.

Just home processed a roll from it and all's looking ok.