Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 02:04 AM   #1

Pentax KX maintenance and doubts

Hello everyone. I just bought a KX to make a jump again into the film world.

the camera is in good conditions but there are some things that I'd love to ask to understand if it is broken.

first the advance lever get stuck when it reaches the last degrees, and you can see in the attachment it scratch the shutter button. is it fixable? what could have happened?

second the diaphragm is very stiff on lower values. each lens I tried has the same behavior in the camera. is it only lack of lubricant?

third and totally unnecessary but... how do you recommend to paint the missing black in the "KX" logo?

thanks so much!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
MI 5  Photo 
03-21-2017, 04:45 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I can't tell from here, but the lever seems not to look right. Could be a lever from a different camera?
Diaphragm issues sounds like a problem with the link ring under the mount plate of the body. It is the part that indexes to the lens to work the potentiometer for the meter. It might be dry and needs grease or the some gunk or old foam is in there clogging it. Paint... sorry, not good with paint...flat black. Maybe the window trim touch-up for Toyota in flat black?
03-21-2017, 04:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has your KX been dropped? Is it bent or twisted? The film advance lever should not touch the shutter release.
03-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
Forum Member

Here's a picture of my KX to compare the winders,

Attached Images

03-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the appearance of the grub screws, your KX has been subjected to some form of amateur repair, perhaps subsequent to being dropped. The aperture stiffness you describe indicates possible damage to the coupling mechanism. If the camera was presented by the seller as being in working order, my suggestion would be to insist on a refund based on the aperture stiffness.

Steve
03-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
Forum Member

if you take the lens off you will see a peg on the right hand side at the 2 'o'clock position, you should be able to move it freely round to the bottom. If not it needs a CLA.
03-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
thank you all.

the amateurish repair was mine, as I already tried to remove the lever and see what happened. but I couldn't because it was too stiff.

I bought a pair of pliers and managed to open it and you can see what the problem was...it was sure dropped and aperture is oval, so it can't come back freely. anyway I removed a little of dust and it was working.

BUT while reassembling it I screwed somewhere with the speed dial and now everything is jammed and nothing work. I blame myself for believing I could fix it...

anyway the camera costed me 10€ (sold the lens it came with) and I can afford a CLA, hoping they can fix my disaster.

as for the stiffness, the peg can move freely but with some effort. it has no jams or clicks, same stiffness all over. probably with some lubrication it will be back to normal.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
MI 5  Photo