Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2017, 06:14 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Changing focusing screen in Spotmatic

As we know Spotmatic F is come with microprism screen.
I want to change it to split image. Can it be changes ? and where/how to find the parts ?

Sorry if I use some strange English
Thank you

03-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's an older book by Carl Shipman which covers the later Spotmatics, K series, ME and MX cameras, which suggests that the Spotmatic and K series focusing screens are interchangeable, but only at the service-department level, and I think at least one reviewer of the Spotmatics here on this forum had a split-screen viewer installed in a Spotmatic body.

Eric Hendrickson in the US could do it for you, but the expense of sending it might be a barrier for you.
03-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, what he said.

The Spotmatic series, including the F, had screens that dropped into the frame from above. To replace a damaged screen, for instance, would require taking off the top cover, removing the prism and the meter movement - all to be able to lift out the condenser lens and then the screen.

I would expect a K1000 split screen would be a direct drop in replacement, but that would be hard to find too.
03-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

Actually I don't want to do it myself I would take this to the local technician.
What I want to know is what the model that have the screen which can fit to my Spotmatic. If I know, maybe I can find it on eBay
I'll find info about K1000. Hope it works.

03-22-2017, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Be aware that many K1000's and some other K-series (KM, KX*, K2) bodies also had the plain focusing screen fitted, so if you buy a "parts" camera just to get the focusing screen, make absolutely sure you get the right one!!

* = also be careful not to confuse the film-era KX with the digital K-X when you do your searches.
03-22-2017, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, the K1000 SE usually came with a split screen - at least around here they did. Standard K1000's had the microprism centre.

However, since all 35mm focusing screens have to be really close to 24x36mm in size, a talented repair guy could likely make another brand of screen fit. I could imagine a Canon AE-1 screen transplanted into a K1000. I've never tried it myself, but it might work.

Adjustments would likely have to be made for differences in screen thickness (focus), and screen brightness (metering), but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
03-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
So, all K-series have the screen can fit to Spotmatic but need to check it's or not exactly split focus screen, isn't it?

03-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by middnight Quote
So, all K-series have the screen can fit to Spotmatic but need to check it's or not exactly split focus screen, isn't it?
Yes. You need a reliable and trustworthy seller who either knows what to look for or can take a picture through the viewfinder and demonstrate it to you.
03-23-2017, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

As we know Spotmatic F is come with microprism screen.
I want to change it to split image. Can it be changes ? and where/how to find the parts ?

Sorry if I use some strange English
Thank you
English clear and good

Tense errors
is come should be 'came'
changes should be 'changed'

English is quaint!

The normal screen needs a prescription eye piece if you don't have good eye sight.
They may be available still.
03-23-2017, 06:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
English clear and good

Tense errors
is come should be 'came'
changes should be 'changed'

English is quaint!

The normal screen needs a prescription eye piece if you don't have good eye sight.
They may be available still.
Thanks. Mr.Xmas. And I'm so appreciate for fixing my tense

My eyesight have no problem. In the scene with daylight, the microprism is very clear and works great but indoor scenes or some objects with low contrast. I assume the split-image can help me for that situation.
03-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if I remember correctly Eric once told me that the K2/K2DMD have different screens that the K1000/KM/KX.

Phil.
03-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
if I remember correctly Eric once told me that the K2/K2DMD have different screens that the K1000/KM/KX.

Phil.
I believe he also told me the same. The KX split screen option was produced on significantly fewer than half the bodies. I regularly buy $10-$25 KX'es on the chance that I'll pick up more split screen bodies. I have 11 KX'es, 4 CLA'ed (1 ea style in black and silver), but no extra split-screen bodies to sell
03-24-2017, 06:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks. Mr.Xmas. And I'm so appreciate for fixing my tense

My eyesight have no problem. In the scene with daylight, the microprism is very clear and works great but indoor scenes or some objects with low contrast. I assume the split-image can help me for that situation.
It can help if there are strong lines in subject but you need to be aware that the screen image may be for example at one meter so in poor light you eye needs to be able to focus at 1 meter.

SLR are not wonderful in poor light photo press used Leica M3 or Canon VI for available darkness close in or flash.
03-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I believe he also told me the same. The KX split screen option was produced on significantly fewer than half the bodies. I regularly buy $10-$25 KX'es on the chance that I'll pick up more split screen bodies. I have 11 KX'es, 4 CLA'ed (1 ea style in black and silver), but no extra split-screen bodies to sell
Yeah the KX split is hard to find, I've just got the one in chrome/silver.

Phil.
03-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #15

Original Poster
Or I should buy a magnifier eyecup ? lol