Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #1

PENTAX S2 with S/Nr. 528144

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello to the Forum,

i am new to this Forum, and i registered for the use of getting some information about the pentax S2 i recently got. It came from Japan, and though it obviosly is NOT a S2 Super, it has an incredibly high Serial Number engraved - 528144
I also tested the Shutter Speed Dial for accuracy, and it works well, so there ist no doubt this Dial is the original part.
My Question is - is this a regular S2 - or is it somebody replaced some parts, mixing an S2 and an S2 Super together...? Can it be that in Japan there were S2 Cameras of late series with these high numbers?
Anyway, i own some different Pentax Cameras, and though i am not a Collector, i definetly like this one S2, it being a rare Collector's Item or not...

Thank You for any Replies!
Greets from Vienna,
tilman

Attached Images

03-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a note in the Serial Number Database for an 'S2' in your SN range. The owner writes it is an 'SB2', a model sold only in Japanese military camps. The owner declares this camera is mechanically an S3, but not labeled as such. Maybe that clears things up - or maybe it adds to the confusion

[Edit] Not helpful. SB2 is engraved on those models per Pentax-SLR.com

Last edited by monochrome; 03-24-2017 at 12:36 PM.
03-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, sorry I know nothing about these cameras, but I'm sure some one will be along soon with some thoughts.
03-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to "Pentax Film SLR Discussion" forum...

03-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tilman Quote
My Question is - is this a regular S2 - or is it somebody replaced some parts, mixing an S2 and an S2 Super together...?
Edit:
I am going to amend my post here, and say that the OP has a later production S2 based on the S2 S/N range Baard-Einar posted below.

'my original post'
Your S2 looks like an early production 'normal' S2, as it has the older style manual reset exposure counter (the dial on the film advance lever), and it has a 6-digit serial number.
The later production S2's (S2-Supers only?) got the automatic resetting exposure counter from the SV line and 7-digit serial numbers (like the S2-Super pictured below).
I have now seen two S2-Super's with an older style manual reset counter and a 6-digit serial
Attached Images

Last edited by Moe49; 03-30-2017 at 09:08 AM.
03-25-2017, 02:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank Yoe, Everybody, for making me feel welcome on this Forum!
Thank You, Moe, for the Reply... and it's a very nice black S2 You have!
My Question is, i know only of S2 Cameras with, well, 6 digits in the Serial No., but all of these are very much lower, mostly 24xxxx. So i thought mine must be a very late model, but it definetily is not a S2 Super. i am confused, and i wonder, if maybe somebody mixed some parts in reassembling this Camera...
Greets,
tilman
03-25-2017, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The s2 and the s2 super were in the S/N range 223001-636891. Production might have overlapped since the Super was only sold in Japan. But in your case I would assume that your camera has been in for a repair and that the top plate was changed. Spare tops have serial numbers outside of the ordinary production run.

Collecting Pentax is fun, and the S2 by itself is fun due to many versions like Asahi Pentax S2 or H2, Asahiflex S2, Penta Asahiflex S2, Honeywell Heiland Pentax H2 and Honeywell Heiland Pentax H2 Store Demonstrator, then the ones marked Asahi Pentax SB, and the S2 model II called super sold in Japan as well as the SB2. Add to that chrome and black verdions. I've even come across a model engraved for sale via US bases. SB and SB2 were for sale to Japanese defence forces. A fellow collector found one of those in Manila.

Best of luck collecting all of these beauties.

Dont forget to use them.

---------- Post added 03-25-2017 at 12:54 PM ----------

I forgot to add that the S2 came with two types of speed dials, without or with notch for clip-on exposure meter.

The S2 super came with two different types of film counter, old version with manual reset and new version with automatic reset of the film counter.

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 09-13-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
03-27-2017, 05:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
Your S2 looks like an early production 'normal' S2, as it has the older style manual reset exposure counter (the dial on the film advance lever), and it has a 6-digit serial number.
The later production S2's (S2-Supers only?) got the automatic resetting exposure counter from the SV line and 7-digit serial numbers (like the S2-Super pictured below).
I have seen a S2-Super with an older style manual reset counter and a 6-digit serial
Hi

that is a really high S/n for a S2 Super. maybe this has been serviced with new top?

/Baard-Einar
03-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
that is a really high S/n for a S2 Super. maybe this has been serviced with new top?
I do not think so ( though I could be wrong ). As evidence: there are three S2-Supers in the PF serial number data base with 7-digit serials in the 17XXXXX range.

Another interesting thing about the S2-Super I have, is that it has the later style top cover. The later style covers do not have two screws flanking the viewfinder window.
Attached Images

Last edited by Moe49; 04-18-2017 at 01:47 PM.
03-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not think so ( though I could be wrong ). As evidence: there are three S2-Supers in the PF serial number data base with serials in the 7-digit range, 17XXXXX.

Another interesting thing about the S2-Super I have, is that it has the later style top cover. The later style covers do not have two screws flanking the viewfinder window.
Interesting info. According to The Screwmount Guide the S2 Super have the S/N range 423001 - 749000.

But the total number of S2 Super and Sv is 534196, about 52500 are the S2 Super. S/N range for the sv go up to 1985305.

I need to dig deeper into this material.

03-28-2017, 02:08 AM   #11

Original Poster
Yes, Baard-Einar, it is strange indeed. Thank You for digging...
The one S2 i have definetly is not a S2 Super - i can tell from the Speed Dial and the fact that it works well, that is performing as is indicated. So, the interior being a 'normal' S2, maybe someone replaced the Top Plate. But then, there are signs of use on this Camera, of course, but absolutely no signs of it having been opened. Probably, one wouldn't see these signs, but it is strange it looks just like it's never been openened at all.
Well, anyway i bought it because of this unusually high Serial No., but not only for that - i'm glad it works well and happy using it!
Among my other Cameras i have one black and one silver SV, one SP500, one K working and one K that is disassembled, and one AP that works almost perfectly... These old 60's Pentax are just my style, and are fun using.
03-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tilman Quote
Among my other Cameras i have one black and one silver SV,
Ah ! The SV, my favorite pre-Spotmatic camera for shutter-bugging about with.
03-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I love my SV as well. Mine is just back from Eric's along with my K. I can't wait to get it out and run a roll through it. Maybe this weekend.
03-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not think so ( though I could be wrong ). As evidence: there are three S2-Supers in the PF serial number data base with serials in the 7-digit range, 17XXXXX.

I found this on ebay from an Italian seller. The start price is really high in my opinion. But the sn is low, and outside the known range. The ready case also have a neat feature, you can leave the clip-on exposure meter on camera. Ive not seen that before. These old cases seems to crackle and turn to dust.

Moe, comments?

Look at this on eBay KIT ASAHI PENTAX S2 Super 1/1000 Type1 BLACK MINT- ULTRARARE (NOT 4 EVERYONE...) | eBay
03-30-2017, 07:06 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Moe, comments?
Apologies to the OP for the thread hijack

That Italian S2-Super is in superb condition and looks authentic for an early model.
It's S/N 264648 falls into the correct range you quoted from:
The s2 and the s2 super were in the S/N range 223001-636891.
If anyone actually mounts the viewfinder clip-on and meter on that camera, dinging up that pristine top cover in the process, ... well they should be beaten sense-less.

Last edited by Moe49; 03-30-2017 at 10:21 AM.