Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Does anybody here shoot just film?

I happily noticed that we have a few people excited about shooting with film and these questions came to mind:

Does anyone of us shoot only with film?
Does anyone shoot flm with a small digital P&S for backup?

I expect most of us shoot both digital slr's and film slr's. I personally am going through a film renaissance. It has taken over to the point that I am almost ready to go with just film and only keep a digital p&s for snapshots. I went out yesterday set the K10 on the tripod waiting for some game to hit the field and took a full roll of film of my surroundings. After that I left and felt very satisfied not having snapped a shot with the digital. Just wanting to know what the make up here on the film slr discussion board is.

08-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
Forum Member

I do, because unless you count my ancient fuji digital P&S with 16mb xD card, left in a perpetually batteryless state and probably lost at the moment, all I have is a film SLR!
08-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, I shoot a mix, whatever I feel like at the moment.
08-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both...

Naw... I do both.

For run and gun vacation shots, candids and such I will shoot with my K10D.

For still life that I want to fiddle with EV, tweak composition and such I will shoot some film. Not to say I don't fiddle and tweak with my K10D, just that the process of shooting with my Spot and Takumars seem to slow me down and make me *think* about every frame I shoot. Thinking is good, I think.

germar

08-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #5

Film is so forgiving when it comes to DR, which is always an issue with digital with a image that has dark shadows. If digital ever solves that problem, I may give up film, but not until then!

I shoot both, with most of my images shot in digital because of the cost of film, but for serious work film is your friend.

Tom
08-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fishman Quote
Does anyone of us shoot only with film?
Does anyone shoot flm with a small digital P&S for backup?
No!
No!

Having answered the two questions posed by the OP I submit the following: I just got my first roll of Fuji Velvia 100 back two days ago. Erik just dit his thing to my Spotmatic. Can't wait to get is scanned at a high res and look at it.

Anyway, I called my friend the Professional Photographer this morning (I know he is a professional because he uses C***n) and asked him if he knew any place in El Paso (I live nearby) where I could buy a couple of rolls of Velvia. I received the following Email:

"Dear Film Addict,

Please be advised that neither my WD20 nor WD40 (boxed version) require film of any type, therefore I know not the whereabouts of said item. Also be advised that I do possess several Photoshop plug-ins which will simulate certain characteristics of said item.

To wit:

1) Velvia Vision v1.5
2) Genuine Fractals 5.0 Film Grain Simulator
3) Color Efex Pro 3.0 Complete - Film Developing Cross Processor

None of which I actually use, since FILM IS DEAD!!"

The WD20 and WD40 references above are an inside joke. I referred to his new C***n 40D as a D40 (Apparently a N***n) the other day. He got his panties in a wad over that.

So there you have it folks, a report from the Badlands of New Mexico.

Under duress I will admit to owning a K100D Super but it is NOT in my signature as you will notice.

Last edited by wlank; 08-10-2008 at 04:48 PM.
08-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
Banned

No.

unless Im out for street shooting in particular (90% of the time) where I only carry my MX, 28mm, and a pocketful of HP5 Plus and Tri-X. I normally can be seen with my MX or my newely aquired ME-F along with my K110D. I normally have a 50mm on the film body and a zoom (70-210) on the digital. all manual focus of course. I try to stay away from carrying a bag as much as possible. I like to move fast and get many pictures (like my photographic idol.)

for the record though I enjoy film far more than digital.
08-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I will top Chris...

I shoot film only and I do not own a digital camera. I have no interest in digital, as digital cameras (or should I say computerized image machines) do not produce photographs.

Glen

08-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Shoot both and love both. Just found out the beauty of shooting film again very recently, now w/ two film camera bodies but only one digital SLR (plus a small Optio S which is my daughter's toy). I think I still love digital better 'cause it's a better way to take kids photos, to me at least
08-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A great topic.
I definatly have lots of digital stuff including the latest and greatest from Pentax, but I would say that for the past three months, maybe a tad more, I am shooting film 80% of the time...The times when I shoot Digital are mostly when I am shooting wildlife...

But for other things, it is tough to beat film.
K1000 with BW400CN

08-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have 3 MZ bodies, along with some cheap (but good!) manual primes...
These are used for portraits (99% of my pics).

For the 1% left (landscapes and learning flash, mainly), I use a Fuji S9500 (useful for movies, too)...

The notion of film being expensive is, at least in my case, wrong... Considering the cost of a pentax DSLR with a 360 flash, it would take me over 3 years at my current rate to go below the cost of my MZ-6/MZ-7/AF400FTZ (got the set for about 75$), and 2 rolls a month (and 90% of keepers in this lot).

By which time, I know I would just crave for the then new pentax, and feel compelled to upgrade...

So, no, film is not necessarily dead for me!
08-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot mostly film, and have a Canon P&S digital.
I rotate the bodies and lenses I have, but more and more the Nikon FE and the Pentax Spotamtic and ME Super have a place.

I used to have a tiny 3MP pentax but it died last Xmas.

PS. I rememebered one more use for the digicam, to copy negatives in the symputer since I do not have a scanner, put them on top of the monitor and take a maxcro picture of them

Last edited by titrisol; 08-12-2008 at 05:50 AM.
08-11-2008, 04:39 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great comments!

We have some good replies here. Neat to see the different perspectives on photography. Also some great pictures from jgredline.
08-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes, and no.

I shoot only film and do not own a digital P&S. That makes us four here in this thread that are still hardcore film users ...Kind of depressing...

Last time I went shopping for film I asked my local photo store how many that still buy B/W film there, he answered that he could count them on one hand, and that is in a town of 60 000 people. No wonder it's hard to get film with that few people buying it.

The reason I still use only film, don't know. Haven't yet seen a FF pentax?
I also like the thought of me pressing a button that mechanically moves something in the camera, does that make me strange?

/jim
08-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I embraced digital when 2mp was expensive. However, it was not until the purchase of my K10D that the number of frames in digital surpassed my film shots in any given month. I am a film shooter at heart, but I truly do love both for different and complimentary reasons.

Honestly, I will say that some of what I have done with digital has informed the film side. The reverse is obviously also true. The cross pollination has taught me a lot, and I compressed my learning curve in some things using digital. All of it has translated and been used for film. My most recent foray was into studio setup, lighting, and work. The digital allowed me to get dialed in and checked out in much less time and with much less expense. I mostly use film in the studio now.

I will never stop using film. More that that, I have at least 12 film bodies in my core collection and another probably ten or so duplicates. I'm in the process of selling some of the latter. However, the collection starts at 1957 and I shoot them all, including some very rare ones. I will never give that up.

Nice pics Javi... which pier is that?

woof!