Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #1

Beginner with ME Super, shutter wont work

Hey everyone, I'm sure this question has been asked on here before so if you can just refer me to a previous answer that will work as well. But here's the deal...

I've never owned a 35mm film camera before, and have no idea of the intricate workings of a camera like this. I just bought a Pentax ME Super from a thrift store for $10. Did my research, bought a 50mm lens, some LR44 batteries, and of course, rolls of film.

After I received all the parts for my camera, I attached the lens, and put in the batteries. There's indicator lights that come on, and move when i look through the viewfinder so I know the batteries are functional and working properly.

The problem I have is that when I cock back the lever to take a picture, I press the button and nothing happens. I had my friend who's good with cameras take a look at it when i first bought it and he said everything looked good as far as the mirror and viewfinder and the levers functioned properly, he said I'd probably just need batteries to fire camera. Now that I have everything, it still isn't working. The button presses all the way down, but nothing clicks, the lever advances the film (i can see the numbers advancing on the roll), but i press the button all the way down and still nothing. I opened it up and tried it, and the shutter curtain doesn't move at all, and I dont wanna touch it.

If you can offer some help that would be awesome. If there's a way I can fix it myself, I'm pretty handy and can probably figure it out without breaking anything. Thanks.

03-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum!

To possibly rule out some other sort of electronic failure, even though the light meter works: the shutter in the ME super should fire at 1/125 mechanically, batteries not required (there's a setting on the dial for that).

My super program (which doesn't fire mechanically at all, as your camera should at 125) doesn't let me advance the film unless the shutter fires. So something may be broken with the shutter cocking mechanism, since you can advance the film without triggering the shutter in between.
03-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ME Super has a weakness with the film/load advance. I can tell you about my experience when I could advance but not lock in the shutter (spring loading), which meant the button had nothing to trip. Try this; advance the lever fully to the end of its travel and hold it there. In my case, putting the camera up to my ear, I eventually heard a click as the "lock" went into position. It seems this lock is prone to sticking, in particular when it has been sitting overnight. Mine now clicks after a second in the beginning, but is instant after that. Try holding the lever at full advance overnight, and see if the lock eventually drifts into place.
I think a less troublesome camera like a KM or KX or more expensive MX is the way to go. The plain ME doesn't seem to be as troublesome with film advance as far as I know.
03-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Welcome to the forum!

To possibly rule out some other sort of electronic failure, even though the light meter works: the shutter in the ME super should fire at 1/125 mechanically, batteries not required (there's a setting on the dial for that).

My super program (which doesn't fire mechanically at all, as your camera should at 125) doesn't let me advance the film unless the shutter fires. So something may be broken with the shutter cocking mechanism, since you can advance the film without triggering the shutter in between.
Mine still does not fire on the 125 setting. Still, the lever advances the film and the button presses down all the way, just doesn't fire anything or trigger anything to happen. Thanks for the advice.

03-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The ME Super has a weakness with the film/load advance. I can tell you about my experience when I could advance but not lock in the shutter (spring loading), which meant the button had nothing to trip. Try this; advance the lever fully to the end of its travel and hold it there. In my case, putting the camera up to my ear, I eventually heard a click as the "lock" went into position. It seems this lock is prone to sticking, in particular when it has been sitting overnight. Mine now clicks after a second in the beginning, but is instant after that. Try holding the lever at full advance overnight, and see if the lock eventually drifts into place.
I think a less troublesome camera like a KM or KX or more expensive MX is the way to go. The plain ME doesn't seem to be as troublesome with film advance as far as I know.
thank you, I will definitely try that and see if I can get it to work.
03-29-2017, 07:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ME Super is prone to such problems. Try a P3.
03-29-2017, 11:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I had a similar problem with an ME Super. Every second or third shot the shutter wouldn't cock. However after shooting a couple of rolls it seemed to right itself. At first it required a slow, considered film advance. But now it seems to be OK. Lack of use can be a a cause. Your problem is a bit more serious in that the shutter isn't resetting at all. Now that you've invested in the lens, batteries and film you really should go out and get yourself another Pentax 35mm.

03-30-2017, 05:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you'd like an ME body,I think a have a few working ones.I may have a couple of ME Supers also,not sure how reliable they are though.PM me your address and I'll send you one,if you'd like.
03-30-2017, 05:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Have you looked at the back with the door open when you advance the lever? Does the film spool spin? ME Super is a nice little camera, might be worth shipping it to Eric to get an idea of what's wrong. I wouldn't get a P3/30...you have to use DX coded film cassettes and can't override the ISO on them. KX is pretty much a full-featured, full-manual camera. I have one of those and a KM. Both are simple and just plain work.
03-30-2017, 05:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What they said about the P30 above. The lack of manual ISO setting was a deal breaker for me (though they do make DX coded stickers), but you can find those P3* really really really inexpensively.
03-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Actually, the DX coding is easy to get around. There's resources on the web that show what the DX looks like for the iso you want, either scrape off the black coating to expose the silver metallic surface or use electricians tape to cover the silver area needed. Have done it many times, usually pushing 400 film to 1600 iso, takes about 30 secs. Something interesting the P3n can do that my MX or ME Supers can't do is run 3200 iso. Yes, the specs say the P3n is limited to 1600, but just ran a roll of Delta 3200 through mine thinking it would run at 1600, but surprisingly it metered at 3200 iso. Checked it against my K-1, developed the roll for 3200, it came out great.
The P3n/P30 is a tough durable,very underrated camera with some really good features including DOF and Meter Lock. It has four operation modes - Program AE, Aperture-priority, Manual & Programed flash. The location of the remote release is in a better location - low behind the lens and you can use the Cable Switch A, which I find easier to use than a cable release. Also, you can use lens without aperture rings, unfortunately you just can't control the settings directly like a PZ1p or a DSLR, but you can do it.

Don't overlook the P3n/P30, especially at prices you can get them for, they've great for a beginner and for a advanced user
03-31-2017, 06:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Try warm airing cupboard overnight if that clears the fault you need it serviced.
04-12-2017, 04:57 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
I recently got an me super with i think the same problem it would wind on but not cock,

essentially i tried dry firing several times and it didnt cock so I got a little ipa alcohol and put a small amount in the film chamber where the film winds on and let it soak down to the mechanism. I continued to dry fire and it started to cock after maybe 100 times it seemed to be working everytime. So I went out and shot a roll of film I had one lost frame due to winding and not cocking. It's pretty good now.
04-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #14

I just got an MG (an even more basic ME). It would only fire every 4-5 winder cranks. I hooked up my ME motor drive winder to it and let it fire the shutter a couple hundred times. Seems to have corrected a similar sounding problem for me.
12-07-2021, 08:22 AM   #15

I realize this is a very old thread, but since a lot of these great little cameras are still around and I'm getting the feeling, this is a very common problem with them, I thought I'd bring this back a bit.

So basically, I had my ME Super professionally serviced a few years ago and this problem still happens --> sometimes doesn't fire, but can always advance.

When exercising the shutter, it sometimes gets freed-up and works perfectly for a long while, but if you leave it sit overnight, it stops firing again and it can get tricky trying to get it firing again at all.

So then, someone adviced me that the cause is actually shutter button contacts and cleaning them will resolve the issue:

"You need to unscrew the retaining ring around the shutter button. Beware of the spring. Lift out the button, and you will see the contacts you need to clean."

My question is:

Can someone confirm whether this really works - and perhaps tell me in more detail just how to unscrew the ring around the shutter button (do I need special tools for that?)

If this solution works (I hope so!) it might be of help to a lot of MES owners so I wanted to post this.

EDIT: By the way, the non-firing issue happens in both the mechanical (1/125) mode as well as with batteries.

Last edited by film-love; 12-07-2021 at 08:28 AM.