Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 02:36 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry John Quote
Well his reply was to the point lol...better look somewhere closer to home?
Why not send to Japan?

The company is called NSB Tekunos.

Address is
265-1 .kakuyama.ogawa-machi.hiki-gun.saitama
355-0316
Attn: Mr Toshiyuki Nishimura
Tel: +81-493-59-8616 (Voicemail is in Japanese though, I cannot understand a word)

Read more at: The real truth on the MZ-S mirror motor gear? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

10-01-2019, 02:54 AM   #47
Pentaxian

I thought the MZ-S was the only MZ camera that didn't have the plastic gear.
10-01-2019, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I thought the MZ-S was the only MZ camera that didn't have the plastic gear.
It had been speculated that all the MZ-S came with a metal gear due to the low failure rate. But as we can see from this thread it appears that only later production bodies have brass gears. This may also be true of some of the other MZ models. We probably won't know because unless the gear fails there is little reason to open up the case.
10-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It had been speculated that all the MZ-S came with a metal gear due to the low failure rate. But as we can see from this thread it appears that only later production bodies have brass gears. This may also be true of some of the other MZ models. We probably won't know because unless the gear fails there is little reason to open up the case.
It could also be that they switched out for metal gears fairly early. Wasn't the MZ-S the "pro" camera at the time? I would think Pentax would be more likely to fix a known issue in the high-end model than in the main consumer line.

10-01-2019, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've often thought about getting an MZ-S but the combination of the high price and the doubt about the gear has always put me off. I'd have to be pretty sure it had a brass gear before shelling quite a few readies for this model.
11-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Checking the two MZ-Ss I have by using the DOF preview trick, if that is the actual gear you can see, both of mine are brass. This seems to be a really good way to determine what your gear is, if it is in fact the right gear that is visible.

One of the cameras starts with a 4 serial number, and the other starts with 5. Both say Asahi Optical Co.
11-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Checking the two MZ-Ss I have by using the DOF preview trick, if that is the actual gear you can see, both of mine are brass. This seems to be a really good way to determine what your gear is, if it is in fact the right gear that is visible.

One of the cameras starts with a 4 serial number, and the other starts with 5. Both say Asahi Optical Co.
What’s the DOF preview trick?
I just bought an MZ-S with a 5-series SN off a fellow forum member.
11-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote

What is the full serial number of yours out of curiosity? I'm dubious as to whether peeking into that tiny space is definitive, but I'm also dubious that there would be a clean break between production runs from 5xx to 4xx necessarily.

Mine is badged "Asahi..." and serial #4845818. The gear seen through that small opening doesn't seem to be plastic in my case, but as noted before, we're not certain that's the correct location. We're also not certain precisely when a switch may have occurred. (Yes the serial number break from 4 to 5 may be an excellent indicator as mentioned, but Pentax has inexhaustible history of minor production changes made mid-run, as many manufacturers do, without any notice/mention/corollary.)

At any rate, it is nice to know, if nothing else, that even though we've seen a couple failures reported here, from what I can tell that's really about it thus far. Certainly a better track record than the other MZ variants. (Even with the later MZ-3, which has identical production years as the MZ-S, it' doesn't take much searching to find a report of failure on the web which is in contrast to the MZ-S). The MZ-S is an incredibly reliable camera overall, especially given its complexity.

---------- Post added 11-27-19 at 01:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jschoonj Quote
What’s the DOF preview trick?
I just bought an MZ-S with a 5-series SN off a fellow forum member.
Look back at page 2.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 11-27-2019 at 03:46 PM.
11-28-2019, 02:30 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
What is the full serial number of yours out of curiosity? I'm dubious as to whether peeking into that tiny space is definitive, but I'm also dubious that there would be a clean break between production runs from 5xx to 4xx necessarily.

Mine is badged "Asahi..." and serial #4845818. The gear seen through that small opening doesn't seem to be plastic in my case, but as noted before, we're not certain that's the correct location. We're also not certain precisely when a switch may have occurred. (Yes the serial number break from 4 to 5 may be an excellent indicator as mentioned, but Pentax has inexhaustible history of minor production changes made mid-run, as many manufacturers do, without any notice/mention/corollary.)

At any rate, it is nice to know, if nothing else, that even though we've seen a couple failures reported here, from what I can tell that's really about it thus far. Certainly a better track record than the other MZ variants. (Even with the later MZ-3, which has identical production years as the MZ-S, it' doesn't take much searching to find a report of failure on the web which is in contrast to the MZ-S). The MZ-S is an incredibly reliable camera overall, especially given its complexity.

---------- Post added 11-27-19 at 01:45 PM ----------

Look back at page 2.
Seems like mine has a brass gear.
Asahi Optical Co, MIJ
SN 5104323

Name:  mz-sbrass.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  86.5 KB
11-28-2019, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jschoonj Quote
Seems like mine has a brass gear.
Asahi Optical Co, MIJ
SN 5104323
That's what mine looks like. Either a) that's not the correct location, b) mine was replaced by a previous owner, or c) the serial number cut-off isn't exactly correct based on my unit's number (4845818).
Who knows. (Someone does.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
BBB100-1  Photo 
11-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #56

That's what mine looks like. Either a) that's not the correct location, b) mine was replaced by a previous owner, or c) the serial number cut-off isn't exactly correct based on my unit's number (4845818).

I imagine only RICOH could provide official info at this point. Since they wouldn’t have any incentive to do so it’s highly unlikely we’ll ever know.

11-29-2019, 12:48 AM   #57

That's a different gear. See where the motor is located in the photos in this post (MZ5n):
MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

The motor is between the lens release button and bottom plate - closer to the button. If you remove the bottom plate you can see the motor but not the gear which is obscured by a larger gear.

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-29-2019 at 01:21 AM.
11-29-2019, 02:06 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a different gear. See where the motor is located in the photos in this post (MZ5n):
MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

The motor is between the lens release button and bottom plate - closer to the button. If you remove the bottom plate you can see the motor but not the gear which is obscured by a larger gear.
Yes, exactly, that was my first suspicion. That's why I posted (mine is a 4xx serial). I've gone over those MZ threads a number of times (I have an MZ-3 and purchased the replacement gears from the Euro source quite some time/years back). We've seen a few tear-downs of various MZ bodies, but I've yet to see one of the MZ-S. It'd not be surprising if portions were similar and utilizing the same parts, but it's clearly a very different machine from the others.

---------- Post added 11-29-19 at 01:08 AM ----------

edit - the replacement gear is for the drive shaft directly attached (IIRC) to the motor in the other MZ failures (where that gear splits). I seem to remember the MZ-S failure being of a different piece, but I could be mistaken.
11-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #59

a
edit - the replacement gear is for the drive shaft directly attached (IIRC) to the motor in the other MZ failures (where that gear splits). I seem to remember the MZ-S failure being of a different piece, but I could be mistaken.
There were photos of motors taken from several MZ-S with plastic gears posted in another thread. Same motor, same gear.
11-29-2019, 11:34 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a

There were photos of motors taken from several MZ-S with plastic gears posted in another thread. Same motor, same gear.
Do you have a link to that thread? I'd be interested to check that out.

---------- Post added 11-29-19 at 11:17 AM ----------

Nevermind. I believe I found it, with Violini's original expertiese once more as before
: My old-New MZ-S After Returning From Repair - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Then that's as I had thought. The "DoF preview trick" noted earlier in this thread may not give view to the correct gear in question.
To determine if the questionable gear is plastic or brass, the bottom plate must be removed as view in Vilolini's post #53 here:
My old-New MZ-S After Returning From Repair - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

However, though I think you're right, based on the angle of the 3rd photo at that #53 post from the original thread, I'm not sure we can be completely certain that the gear seen through the peek-a-boo method here is not the one in question. It's in the ballpark at in any case. Would be wonderful if someone had (Violini) had a donor/parts MZ-S to open up and take a few more photographs to confirm, if for no other reason than (were this actually the correct piece) anyone would be able to confirm the gear's material on their particular unit without having to do a partial tear-down. (Though maybe I just will at some point anyhow.)