Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2017, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #1

The real truth on the MZ-S mirror motor gear?

I almost ordered one of these from Japan recently. I decided to go with the PZ-1P instead because I fear the mirror motor gear syndrome. I was set on the MZ-S until I saw the reviews on this site. The first two user review entries mention their MZ-S gear failing or being made of plastic. I can't believe that Pentax would have went with plastic on a pro body like that. Does anyone know for sure?

03-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I read on here somewhere that Pentax switched the motor gear on the MZ-S to metal, due to issues with the other MZ-series and the plastic gear.
03-30-2017, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

I haven't used my MZ-S in years, but I never had any problems with it. It still is one of my all time favourite cameras. Just a joy to use.
03-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps @K_David will drop in. He is the reviewer that made the plastic gear statement.

Steve

03-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yeah, one reviewer stated the gear was plastic and another reviewer stated his had actually failed. Too bad there isn't a real definitive answer. I can't justify the price of them with the chance of that kind of failure. If this is true then they are WAY overpriced on the market. I kind of want one because I took up photography when they were sold new and used to dream of it over the lowly ZX50 I started on. But I have seen far too many ZX series dead cameras to take the chance.
03-30-2017, 10:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every replacement gear I ever got was brass ( four or five ). My guess is that once Pentax saw the problem they only sold brass.
03-31-2017, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gutter rock Quote
Yeah, one reviewer stated the gear was plastic and another reviewer stated his had actually failed. Too bad there isn't a real definitive answer. I can't justify the price of them with the chance of that kind of failure. If this is true then they are WAY overpriced on the market. I kind of want one because I took up photography when they were sold new and used to dream of it over the lowly ZX50 I started on. But I have seen far too many ZX series dead cameras to take the chance.
Is it safe to assume that your question regarding the "real truth" is rhetorical? You are absolutely correct that the MZ-S is often overpriced.* Short of finding someone who has done a tear down on a broad sampling of MZ-S bodies, you are not likely to get a definitive answer as to whether they were ever made with plastic gears.

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve

03-31-2017, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I read on here somewhere that Pentax switched the motor gear on the MZ-S to metal, due to issues with the other MZ-series and the plastic gear.
That is my memory as well, though finding the post may be difficult and even if found, might be hearsay. That being said, there are numerous places on the Web where it is asserted that the MZ-S used a metal gear on the sequencing motor.

Edit: I found several posts on this site where the claim is made that the MZ-S is unique in the MZ line in having a metal gear. This is not surprising since the MZ-S was a late addition to the MZ-series. The usual claim, both here and on the Web, is that it was fitted with the metal gear due to reported issues with its older siblings.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-31-2017 at 09:08 AM.
03-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Insufficient data

Has anyone here ever sent Eric Hendrickson a Pentax MZ-S body that required this service, or any service for that matter?
If I owned one I'd send it to him for routine maintenance (as I do all cameras I purchase) and inquire about this at that time.
Speculation, innuendo and aspersions aside IMO this model must be too new, too rare or too reliable to draw any conclusions.

Chris
03-31-2017, 06:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
I believe I will wait longer to pick one up until a reliability history maybe becomes more known. They aren't going anywhere and I can't see the prices rising much. Plus I picked up an MX today so that will appease me for a bit!!
03-31-2017, 06:38 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everything I've read indicates that the MZ-S has a metal mirror motor gear. At least I hope so. My ZX-5N recently died (mirror went up, never came down), so to avoid the mirror gear problem I just bought a PZ-1P and an MZ-S, the latter shipped from Japan. I'm shooting a test roll in the MZ-S now.
03-31-2017, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Everything I've read indicates that the MZ-S has a metal mirror motor gear. At least I hope so. My ZX-5N recently died (mirror went up, never came down), so to avoid the mirror gear problem I just bought a PZ-1P and an MZ-S, the latter shipped from Japan. I'm shooting a test roll in the MZ-S now.
I have 2 MZ-S. One I bought cheap because the trim around the EV Comp dial is gone; one near mint in all ways. Anybody wants to try the ugly but working copy for way below market PM.
03-31-2017, 10:09 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IMO this model must be too new, too rare or too reliable to draw any conclusions.
All of the above.

Steve
03-31-2017, 10:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have 2 MZ-S. One I bought cheap because the trim around the EV Comp dial is gone; one near mint in all ways. Anybody wants to try the ugly but working copy for way below market PM.
Pm sent
03-31-2017, 11:02 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Speculation, innuendo and aspersions aside IMO this model must be too new, too rare or too reliable to draw any conclusions.
It isn't known for having a gear problem, as certain other MZ cameras are. I don't think there's any reason to believe it would have such an issue, though I guess it's possible that given it was a pretty late-model film Pentax, they might not have gotten used as heavily as earlier cameras did.

I've got two of them, one I got new, one used, and haven't had a problem; though I maybe have only put 70-100 rolls of film through them.

Edit:

Checking the film leaders, it looks like the two bodies have had 162 and 118 rolls of film through them.

Last edited by leekil; 03-31-2017 at 11:20 PM.