Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2017, 06:25 PM   #1

Got a MX and two ME winders today!

Got a chrome MX body today at the last cool camera store in my town. Functions fine except exposure counter seems stuck. Got the MX, a working ME winder (for my ME or ME super) and a possibly working ME II winder as well. All for $100, maybe not the deal of the century but I thought it was fair and at least I can return it if there are unseen problems. One question though, can you manually advance the film with a winder on the ME if the batteries fail or if you just want to use it as a grip?

03-31-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would think that the advance lever would still function even with the ME winder attached at the bottom. If it's the Winder II there's a user manual for it here. Pentax winder MEII

Far as the MX goes, you could have it fully CLA'd for around $80 if you send it off to Eric ( Home-Pentaxs ) which would still keep you 'around' the cost of what you would have paid for a fully serviced MX. It wouldn't be a bad idea specially if you like the mechanical stuff (it only needs batteries for the meter, everything else can operate fully without batteries).
04-01-2017, 01:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
Looks like the MX might be suffering from sticky mirror syndrome. Mirror stays up on the slower shutter speeds. Might order a seal kit and attempt it myself. I guess I could just send it in for a full CLA, seems like the MX probably deserves it.
04-01-2017, 01:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gutter rock Quote
Looks like the MX might be suffering from sticky mirror syndrome. Mirror stays up on the slower shutter speeds. Might order a seal kit and attempt it myself. I guess I could just send it in for a full CLA, seems like the MX probably deserves it.
Having used one for the last month, that seems like an understatement :P

04-01-2017, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the best thing to do. Get it done properly, once. Then shoot the hell out of it for another 40 years or until there is no more film left to shoot. If you are still alive the next time it stops working and repair is no longer possible, buff it up and retire it with honour.
04-01-2017, 06:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
This is the best thing to do. Get it done properly, once. Then shoot the hell out of it for another 40 years or until there is no more film left to shoot. If you are still alive the next time it stops working and repair is no longer possible, buff it up and retire it with honour.
If I got to that point I would attempt to self repair it... then break down in tears when I fail, and give it a viking funeral.
04-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ha! Nice. I will send it in. You all talked me into it.

04-02-2017, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
If I got to that point I would attempt to self repair it... then break down in tears when I fail, and give it a viking funeral.
Be sure to drink to its death with an Asahi beer.
04-06-2017, 03:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
Found more issues with the MX. Film counter doesn't work, meter seems fine after a cleaning of battery compartment. One problem is self timer doesn't work, lever feels loose. An even bigger problem is something is wrong with aperture settings. When I put a lens on it, I see through the viewfinder whatever aperture I set the lens on. It isn't showing me wide open. Almost like depth of field is constantly engaged. Emailed Eric and he said repairs will run around $100. Not sure whether to sink this money into it or just get my money back. This one seems to have lived a pretty hard life.
04-06-2017, 03:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Given all this, and the close proximity of the seller, I would be very tempted to take it to them and indicate all the problems you found. If they are decent, honest and ethical, they should offer you your money back (or at least part of it, if you decide you want to keep the winders). I would be tempted to remark that if they want to have it on sale without qualification, they need to ensure it works; otherwise they need to sell it cheap as a parts-only body.
04-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #11

Original Poster
The owner is really nice and I have done a lot of business with him. I guess I am the "Pentax guy" there. I was short on time for work so couldn't check it out thoroughly, he told me that I could bring it back so no worries there. I am keeping the winders which I was able to get both working great. I figure those are worth about $20 each so basically I have about $60 into the MX at this point. If Eric's repairs come in around $100 that puts me at $160. Hmmmm.
04-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If Eric's repairs come in around $100 that puts me at $160. Hmmmm.
From what I'm told, Eric's repairs will have it in your hands practically as good as new. The investment could well be worth it. I have $100 sunk in mine and so far it has given me no problems, but I intend to go on using it until either I am extinct or film is, so a do-over CLA seems appropriate, and I will probably send it off as soon as I finish this current film.
04-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #13

Original Poster
I am going to send it to Eric. The body looks decent so $160 total give or take seems like a plan for a camera like that to last another 30 years. Plus it completes my X collection! I already have a KX and LX!