Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Super Program going bonkers

I'm experiencing a weird problem with a Super Program. With an A lens and on auto mode and the film back closed, the meter is stuck on 1/1000 sec. When I open the back, the meter gives a proper reading. Then, with the back open, using a bent paper clip to press on the frame counter reset lever, the meters reads 1/1000 again. Any idea why a mechanical operation would affect the electronics in such a way? Would a CLA fix the issue (cleaning out gunk that's interfering with the meter) or is a circuit board replacement in order?

04-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe that the shutter gets set to 1/1000 until 1 on counter is reached to assist speed in loading film. If it still shows after several winds and you are past Number 1 then "Houston you have a problem"
04-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Isn't this just the 1/1000th shown until the film is advanced to the first frame?

Edit: whoops, too late...
04-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Isn't this just the 1/1000th shown until the film is advanced to the first frame?

Edit: whoops, too late...
Whoa! You're right. I never realized the Super Program did that. I'm so used to my MX that doesn't do anything unless you tell it to. Whew. Glad I don't have to take it in to the shop. Thanks!

04-05-2017, 05:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
I never realized the Super Program did that. I'm so used to my MX that doesn't do anything unless you tell it to.
They wanted to ensure that the Super Program didn't try to shoot thirty second exposures in auto mode when winding on because the lens cap was on, but it's disconcerting the first time you see it, even when you know what's going to happen.

The good thing about the MX is that it will do anything you tell it to do (and that it's capable of). That is sometimes also the bad thing (e.g. allowing the shutter to fire when you are way above maximum flash sync speed, which I sometimes wish I could force my DSLRs to do, if only to illustrate what happens).
04-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you set the dial to the 125 setting, you can take photos with that before the counter reaches 1.