Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #1

Spotmatic SP meter not working

I have fixed the aparently common shutter/meter switch problem on this SP, so now for the meter problem itself. The batters compartment, wiring under the bottom place going to the meter switch and the switch contacts all seem intact but still the meter is not working.

The meter never moves and is always sitting the showing slightly negative.

What are the possibilities left ? I guess I need to pull the top cover off but if all the lower wiring and switch is intact as this one is, is it usually a bad sign that it's unrepairable without a donor body for parts ?

04-13-2017, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty66 Quote
What are the possibilities left ?
Bad capacitor? Corroded wire cores? Broken solder joint? Battery upside down? (positive pole should be on side facing the top of the camera) Bad meter cell?

Steve
04-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah I guess I should get the meter out and make sure the wires are as solid as they look. Is the capacitor and cell something that is replaceable from any new standard parts or only from a donor body ?
04-13-2017, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yeah I guess I should get the meter out and make sure the wires are as solid as they look. Is the capacitor and cell something that is replaceable from any new standard parts or only from a donor body ?
Do you have the service manual?

Pentax Manuals

Note that there are both the Asahi manual and the National Camera manual for the Spotmatic on that page and both are useful (SP and SPII have identical meters).

Steve

04-13-2017, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had two old camera meters die within the space of a month. The quickest fix was an iPhone meter app which is quite good (MyLIghtMeter). I've also invested in a second hand Sekonic. Neither is as convenient as seeing a meter in the viewfinder but probably more consistent.
04-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yes it may come to that for me too if I can't get it working. I have a couple of Weston Master III's which I have no idea how to use but I understand the values used on it are not the same as with latter day cameras?

I have the top off as well now and the wiring looks OK as well as the battery comparement and switch on the front so no obvious problems. I am going to get the multimeter out and just be sure I have no OK looking but dry solder joints. Just worried if I ever do find the cause I won't be able to get the parts anyway.
04-15-2017, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #7

Indeed multimeter out, and go point by point starting at the sensor, no voltage there, back a bit, and so on till you find the culprit, good luck

04-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
I found one wire broken off from it's soldering point on the PCB with the little potentiometer but still resting in place so it looked OK but wasn't, however resoldering that did not get it working by itself. I had previously repaired a proken wire that linked the two sensors, whilst trying to work out what was what from the circuit diagram I realised that this wire shoud also be linked to the -DC which apears to be the chassis (strange they use black for + and red for -), the wires were formed into a loop as if it would be screwed down somewhere but I can't see anywhere it would reach that looked like it had been previously used to hold down the wire to the chassis. The only one it really reached was one holding the viewfinder and CdS cells so I connected it there. Now the meter works !!!! I really thoughht that was a gonner ! Now how accurate the meter is I don't know but after it's back together I will try it out.

It is strange though as I can't see how the meter could ever have worked like that, I am wondering if I had two problems, the original wiring problem and another problem introduced by someone previously dismantling it ?
04-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I hope my meter problen will be fixed similarly, though mine seems quite a bit more complicated..

My meter rests in the right spot in the viewfinder when the battery is connected the proper way round, however only at 1/1000 and 1/500.. It's not in 'test' mode though and won't react to lighting changes.. For the top plate off too and didn't see anything yet. Haven't got a multimeter available at the moment. I finally need to buy one!
04-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah that sounds a bit more involved, sounds like something iffy with the speed selector which according to the circuit diagram is a potentiometer. Good luck !
04-16-2017, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah that sounds a bit more involved, sounds like something iffy with the speed selector which according to the circuit diagram is a potentiometer. Good luck !
Manuals
04-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #12

Original Poster
All seems to be working, shutter and meter, had to open her up again after discovering the meter was intemittant and found another problem but so far so good. Apart from then I noticed the cocked indicator loose, not sure if I did something or if it was always like that but the long screw seems to be broken at the base so my options are drilling out the base and finding a new long screw, that that get smore involved as I'f probably have to retap the thread and then enlarge the upper shaft, second option is fitting some sort of sleeve over the top and bottom to hold it in place, third option is to just dispense with it which won't matter much but I think I will see if I can find something for option 2 first since it is fairly non invasive.