Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Watching Film Camera Auctions is Bordering on Compulsive - It's a Sickness

I just thought this'd be a fun thread to start. I just paid my taxes (I'm an indie contractor so tax day for me doesn't involve a nice little windfall of large or small portions, only financial extraction) and am in absolutely no mood to order pizza tonight, let alone chunk down for a new-to-me film camera at the moment... Yet there I was just 20 minutes ago, browsing through my watch-list, checking Craigslist locally, and seeing who's got what on different Facebook groups. I have a number of cameras *FOR SALE* right now to thin the herd and offer just the slightest bit of re-padding to my wallet's inner lining and would not let myself buy anything. But there I am .... just window shopping.

It comes and goes of course, but the question that sits in my mind, not infrequently and very loudly at this moment is:
What is the matter with me???

04-17-2017, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
you probably caught it here in the forums. there is no remedy, I am sick too
04-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey I am out of my camera and lens shopping spree and into my filter stage. Keep looking at all sorts of expensive filters...
04-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
you probably caught it here in the forums. there is no remedy, I am sick too
No doubt about that nearly a decade hanging out here certainly helped to advance the condition at an unparalleled rate!

---------- Post added 04-17-17 at 04:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
No doubt about that nearly a decade hanging out here certainly helped to advance the condition at an unparalleled rate!
I'm sure you'll come back around the circle.

04-17-2017, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I just thought this'd be a fun thread to start. I just paid my taxes (I'm an indie contractor so tax day for me doesn't involve a nice little windfall of large or small portions, only financial extraction) and am in absolutely no mood to order pizza tonight, let alone chunk down for a new-to-me film camera at the moment... Yet there I was just 20 minutes ago, browsing through my watch-list, checking Craigslist locally, and seeing who's got what on different Facebook groups. I have a number of cameras *FOR SALE* right now to thin the herd and offer just the slightest bit of re-padding to my wallet's inner lining and would not let myself buy anything. But there I am .... just window shopping.

It comes and goes of course, but the question that sits in my mind, not infrequently and very loudly at this moment is:
What is the matter with me???
Always hoping that an exceptional find will pop up un-noticed by others for a song?
My latest find was a stack of miscellaneous lens hoods.
Only reason it was notable... it had the original hood for my Pentax K 50mm f1.2 which often retails for a pretty hefty price on the bay... but mixed in with a bunch of chaff....
only 1 bid... mine...
04-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You're not alone. I have purchased no less than 14 Pentax 35mm SLRs and an unknown number of lenses in the past 6 months. I just grabbed a Mamiya RB67 Pro S kit in the past few weeks too. When I'm not buying cameras, it's other gadgets. I just put a bid in on a 112 year old Hamilton pocket watch about 20 minutes ago. I have a soft spot for almost everything mechanical. I dare not discuss my gun collection.
04-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just love some of the older cameras that were good quality metal. Just holding them is a pleasure. Not all cameras have this aesthetic appeal, and I avoid those that were obviously built to a price. Later models infested with automation and plastic have no appeal to me. So, just as you do, I find it hard to resist some little jewel even though I have several copies already. Sometimes slight differences is all it takes, and now I struggle to keep tidy order for a collection of 130 plus, involving folders, range-finder, view-finder, box, and SLR.
Here is an example of a Kodak Retinette from 1958. Ten years later Kodak was producing cheap and nasty before production was halted at that time.

04-17-2017, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I anxiously check out my automatic eBay new listing emails every day. I've even bought a few because how could I pass them up with no reserve and little to no bidding? It's like looking at a bunch of puppy dogs at the pound - I must rescue these old cameras and give them a loving home.

Anyone know of a 12 step program for this? If so, don't tell me. What would be the fun in that? I figure when I try to sell a kid to finance it, I'll check myself in. Until then....
04-17-2017, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many (way too many) film cameras ago I realized..... I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY IT to the fullest!

Thanks,
04-17-2017, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going through gentle selling off phase right now, but I still look. Things that have helped me reduce down buying urges:
  • Decide what I DON'T want to own (M, A, FA, DA)
  • Delete all saved follow lists
  • Delete all email notifications
  • Quit Craig's List
  • Make a 'Use It or Lose It' agreement with myself
  • Make a spreadsheet of everything I own - and what it cost
  • Make a spreadsheet of everything that no longer fits - and what it's worth

Who am I kidding?
04-17-2017, 07:45 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Make a spreadsheet of everything I own - and what it cost
I'm afraid to do that, very afraid!

Phil.
04-17-2017, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

This entire thread is making me feel better. I'm not quite at this level... Yet.
04-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I'm afraid to do that, very afraid!

Phil.
I'm with you fellers.

---------- Post added 04-17-17 at 07:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
This entire thread is making me feel better. I'm not quite at this level... Yet.
It begins in the most innocuous of ways.... slowly down the path and into the woods, slowly strolling, whistling all the way,
looking at the pretty trees and birds and flowers....
until suddenly, you realize you can't see the clearing any more
and every direction looks the same. :-O
04-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I understand. I found a nice, used Pentax 70 2.4 that satisfied LBA that I had been battling for some time. No telling how long before it shows up again
04-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Some of my best finds were from CL listings in other states who would promise to send the gear after they receive payment first. It's a good thing people who have these fine gear are trustworthy . . .