Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Ah, the days of the Aperture Ring !
You speak as if that is gone or even close to being gone. ;p

That doesn't seem to be as nearly an alien concept to some people as opposed to a stand alone light meter. (which in some situations does better than ttl) ;p

04-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
You speak as if that is gone or even close to being gone. ;p

That doesn't seem to be as nearly an alien concept to some people as opposed to a stand alone light meter. (which in some situations does better than ttl) ;p
You'd get along well with the Angry Photographer on YouTube. He's got no time at all for people who are contemptuous of light meters, whether they be the latest whizbang spot-and-dome beauty or a humble selenium Sekonic that requires no batteries (of which I have a nice working example). If all else fails and I left the Sekonic at home, David Quiles' Light Meter app for Android gets my S1a close enough.
04-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #18
Pentaxian

That doesn't seem to be as nearly an alien concept to some people as opposed to a stand alone light meter
I think I've mentioned before about getting funny looks when using one of my Weston meters and a K20D - I've been asked if the meter in the camera is broken (and I have been known to tell people that only half of the battery is working, so the meter is inoperative). The ones who stay to listen soon stroll away when I try to explain about the use of the Zone System in relation to digital mages. And as for metering off a grey card .. .. ..
04-19-2017, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I think I've mentioned before about getting funny looks when using one of my Weston meters and a K20D - I've been asked if the meter in the camera is broken (and I have been known to tell people that only half of the battery is working, so the meter is inoperative). The ones who stay to listen soon stroll away when I try to explain about the use of the Zone System in relation to digital mages. And as for metering off a grey card .. .. ..
Many years ago I had a turn with the Sightseeing Screwmount, an SV that toured around the membership for a couple years. I went to a railroad museum loaded with Tri-X and my Sekonic L-98 Micro Leader. Lot's of people looked but didn't comment - but there are people who just don't have any propriety. My 'favorite' comments were:
  • Are you an art student? You're kind of old, aren't you?
  • What kind of cheap camera doesn't come with a meter?
  • I didn't know they still made film (of course).
  • You mean YOU have to focus? (by a teenager).
The most obnoxious was, sotto voce, "If he'd just use a real camera we wouldn't have to stand here and wait."

04-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #20
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The most obnoxious was, sotto voce, "If he'd just use a real camera we wouldn't have to stand here and wait."

04-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What kind of cheap camera doesn't come with a meter?
Yes the joys of shooting film!

I also have fun with people when I'm out using my Pentax Spotmeter V. Sometimes I wonder if they think I'm a cop doing speed checks on passing cars! No one has ever commented though...........

Phil.
04-20-2017, 03:45 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Sometimes I wonder if they think I'm a cop doing speed checks on passing cars!
Given that I've heard of traffic police being beaten up and their radar units smashed, I would be careful if I were you.

04-20-2017, 04:32 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I went to a railroad museum
At least you were in attractive, enjoyable surroundings.
04-20-2017, 05:22 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You appear to have quite adequately made up for lost time.

That Voigtlander is sort of cute - where does one find them?

B&H carries them new, in silver or black, $225.
04-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Many years ago I had a turn with the Sightseeing Screwmount, an SV that toured around the membership for a couple years. I went to a railroad museum loaded with Tri-X and my Sekonic L-98 Micro Leader. Lot's of people looked but didn't comment - but there are people who just don't have any propriety. My 'favorite' comments were:

Are you an art student? You're kind of old, aren't you?
:P While I am a 36 year old student, because of my age and I guess my 'early greying' if you will, most people wouldn't even assume student, or have something entirely different in their mind. Like being on the sidewalk, at night, full on aluminum Bogen 3021 tripod, camera mounted clear as day, shutter release attached, and getting ready to take some shots of long exposure traffic coming down the highway (the sidewalk being on the overpass that's grated off). So not discrete in the least, it's very apparent I'm taking pictures. Also bear in mind I'm deaf (moderate to severe one side, severe to profound the other), so I'm not hearing the woman at the light coming off the highway yelling at me until she's honking her horn. "What are you doing!?" ... I'm taking pictures, "WHY!? Why are you Taking Pictures!?" ... I felt like saying "... because I can... ", but rather just saying "I'm a student" for whatever reason shuts them up.

What kind of cheap camera doesn't come with a meter?
One an experienced user might like...

I didn't know they still made film (of course).
Haven't gotten that one yet, since round here it seems obvious that it *exists* (but in their minds in an extremely limited capacity which may be true locally I guess), but I have had the retorts such as "Wouldn't digital give you a better quality?", they say that even when I'm out shooting with my Olympus E-M5, despite the tilt up LCD screen on the back, people on the street keep thinking it's a film body. The Peruvian walnut grip probably doesn't help.

You mean YOU have to focus? (by a teenager).
Never had that, but I could see it happening. I have mentioned with some lens I have to manually focus but that I prefer such and such lens over some of the native ones on my digitals. The usual responses if they are into photography as well is "I can't handle manual focus, nothing comes out right". Which is pretty obvious when you consider 99.99% of the DSLR cameras made now days have focusing screens intended primarily for AF usage. None of that split/micro prism goodness, and usually a pentamirror unless you're lucky enough to get a model with an actual prism.

Never had that one either, but usually when I can, I like to shoot from the waist, so most of the time people don't notice. I usually prefer that people keep on walking, not stopping and asking me for the millionth time if they're going to get in the way. It's like walk as normal, I'll time myself around you.
04-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #26
Pentaxian

None of that split/micro prism goodness, and usually a pentamirror unless you're lucky enough to get a model with an actual prism.
This is why the best beginner DSLR is often an older, secondhand flagship model.
04-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
This is why the best beginner DSLR is often an older, secondhand flagship model.
My first Pentax DSLR (and the Canon 300D I had previously) had the luxury of being able to remove the focusing screen which could be swapped for one with a split/micro-prism.

On the digital side I don't really worry about it anymore since I only shoot mirrorless now. But it is the reason I sought out an older flagship SLR of sort when I got rid of all my AF pentax lens, and the MZ-6 was poorly suited for manual focus with just it's matte screen, and got an MX with the standard 02 screen.
04-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #28
Pentaxian

My first Pentax DSLR (and the Canon 300D I had previously) had the luxury of being able to remove the focusing screen which could be swapped for one with a split/micro-prism.
Which one, out of interest?

I have had a look in the mirror box of my *istDS and the screen assembly looks suspiciously like that of my MX. So similar that I am tempted to try a little experiment...
04-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I usually prefer that people keep on walking, not stopping and asking me for the millionth time if they're going to get in the way. It's like walk as normal, I'll time myself around you
See your point, but you're lucky they stop and ask - frequently around here they don't notice photographers, or come and peer in the lens (Ha ! Ha !), or even walk into you when you have been still for a minute or so. Worst experience was many years ago, on a coastal footpath in the West of England. I was with a friend, each of us was photographing flowers to the edge of the path. One would crouch and shoot (those were the days !) while the other maintained a watchful guard position protecting their back. My friend was intent on shooting a plant well off the path, I was on guard, leaving at least 3/4 of the path for others.
Suddenly this charmless nurk pushed past me, well off the path, and deliberately put his foot on top of the flower my friend was photographing, having to barge in to her to do so. He then accused us of blocking a public right of way. My friend quickly grabbed my arm and held me still, so that the selfish individual did not find himself having to remove my tripod from his left nostril. It took several cups of coffee for us both to calm down.
04-20-2017, 01:23 PM - 3 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

I won a bid for this SV at a local goodwill.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo