Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2017, 06:13 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, Colton. I'm not really worried about distortion at the wide end. That can be corrected easily enough. I'm more concerned about corner sharpness than distortion anyway.

06-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #32

I got a PZ-1P for $50 and an SF1N for $20, both in mint condition. I love them both but honestly use the SF1N more because it is simpler yet still has the features I use most in a very logical layout. Not that the PZ-1p is complicated to use, it just seems to distract me a bit more. They will both stay in my arsenal regardless. I will never own another MZ/ZX series due to the gear problem. They are ticking time bombs at this point.
06-21-2017, 02:04 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the SF1 arrived yesterday. It's in nice cosmetic condition and the lens looks like it's new. So I went to load it up with a fresh battery and turned it on and the first thing it did was dry fire in imitation of winding the film up to zero, I suppose. I opened and closed the back and watched as it did this again. Then I noticed that the fabric leader that helps you pull the battery out was hanging out from the compartment, so I open it up and tuck the leader back in and then close up the battery compartment cover. This time, when I went to turn it on, instead of a normal sound an SLR makes, it made a faint whine for about a second, the stopped, then whined for about a second, then stopped, and continued. Oh, and the mirror became stuck in the up position and the shutter won't fire. So I turned it off, then back on. Same thing. I opened up the back to see if I could spot anything and yes, the take-up spool looked like it was trying to rotate when I heard the whine, but wasn't. I tried rotating the spool and that didn't do any good. I then poked around beside the spool and that seemed to reset something such that now it whines only when I turn it on -- for about a second, then stops. Or when I hit the C button or the ML button (when it's on). The display is frozen to displaying ISO 400 and blinking roll indicator only.

I decided to do a search for a service manual for this camera, and as part of the search, I ran across this thread from these forums from some years back. This guy has the exact same problem I have. Unfortunately, he wasn't successful in getting his camera to working. Here's the link:

sf1/sfx reflex lense/mirror is sprung in the up position and wont come down - PentaxForums.com

I think I bought a dud. Too bad, this is a very solid feeling camera. Oh, and btw, the spring isn't broken on my camera. I'm gonna try removing the bottom plate and see if I can find any evidence of a film chip jamming up the works somewhere. Dang!

Last edited by cooltouch; 06-21-2017 at 02:09 AM.
06-21-2017, 02:22 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
So I went to load it up with a fresh battery and turned it on and the first thing it did was dry fire in imitation of winding the film up to zero, I suppose. !
That part is normal. It's meant to do that. Hope you get the other issues sorted.

06-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah that's what stopped me from getting an AF body. My most recent 35mm body is a P50.

Alas for me the answer is none of the above. I have tried several models.
They failed quickly or were too complicated and unergonomic to suit me.

Chris
06-22-2017, 04:44 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Well, the SF1 arrived yesterday. It's in nice cosmetic condition and the lens looks like it's new. So I went to load it up with a fresh battery and turned it on and the first thing it did was dry fire in imitation of winding the film up to zero, I suppose. I opened and closed the back and watched as it did this again. Then I noticed that the fabric leader that helps you pull the battery out was hanging out from the compartment, so I open it up and tuck the leader back in and then close up the battery compartment cover. This time, when I went to turn it on, instead of a normal sound an SLR makes, it made a faint whine for about a second, the stopped, then whined for about a second, then stopped, and continued. Oh, and the mirror became stuck in the up position and the shutter won't fire. So I turned it off, then back on. Same thing. I opened up the back to see if I could spot anything and yes, the take-up spool looked like it was trying to rotate when I heard the whine, but wasn't. I tried rotating the spool and that didn't do any good. I then poked around beside the spool and that seemed to reset something such that now it whines only when I turn it on -- for about a second, then stops. Or when I hit the C button or the ML button (when it's on). The display is frozen to displaying ISO 400 and blinking roll indicator only.

I decided to do a search for a service manual for this camera, and as part of the search, I ran across this thread from these forums from some years back. This guy has the exact same problem I have. Unfortunately, he wasn't successful in getting his camera to working. Here's the link:

sf1/sfx reflex lense/mirror is sprung in the up position and wont come down - PentaxForums.com

I think I bought a dud. Too bad, this is a very solid feeling camera. Oh, and btw, the spring isn't broken on my camera. I'm gonna try removing the bottom plate and see if I can find any evidence of a film chip jamming up the works somewhere. Dang!
Sorry to hear that and good luck fixing the camera. But at least the lens should be worth the money if it is in good condition.
06-22-2017, 05:09 AM   #37
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My SF1 story is almost exactly like yours. It arrived in like new condition even with a priestine box, then it did the same thing as yours: but I got half way thru a roll of film before it happened.....

09-10-2017, 01:51 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I thought I'd resurrect this thread to bring y'all up to the latest on this end. I picked up another SF-1 for cheap, only to discover that it, too, has the exact same problem. Not being a quitter, I decided I'd give it a go once more, and bought an SF-1 with the same 35-70 AF lens as the first one. Yay! Finally I've gotten an SF-1 that works. So, just to take stock of things, I now own three SF-1s (two of which are broken) and two 35-70 AF zooms. I'm gonna sell one of the zooms and I'll see what I can do about the two broken cameras. Maybe just poking around some might fix the problem? It doesn't appear electronic, instead mechanical. So if I can get to the mirror box, I might be able to figure out what's jamming things up.

So anyway, next I'll be loading my SF-1 up with a roll of film and take it out and shoot it. It's a good, solid feeling camera. I look forward to the shooting experience with my new-to-me SF-1.