Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

Pentax MG - Porthole Glass on viewfinder is loose + loose piece blocking view. Help?

Good morning!

I recently acquired a Pentax MG from a relative that seems to have been kept in relatively good condition. I spent yesterday going over the camera and making sure everything seemed to be working properly, then loaded a roll of film in to take some test shots. I got about 10 exposures in and everything was working great, then I put the camera in my bag to go and have dinner. When I took it back out later I suddenly noticed an obstruction when looking through the viewfinder.

Eventually this thing seemed to come lose completely, and it's not moving around directly in front of the viewing glass of the eyepiece. Addittionally, when I apply light pressure of the viewfinder window itself, it wiggles slightly, like it's not secured.

From looking at the similar Pentax ME Service Manual, the little metal piece looks to be part # N7 - Eyepiece Protector.

I'm just curious if anyone has an idea of how difficult/expensive this would be to repair? Other than the loose glass and this piece moving around partially blocking the view, the viewfinder itself seems to be functioning normally. Any information would be appreciated!

---------- Post added 04-28-17 at 08:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Benbrackett Quote
Good morning!

I recently acquired a Pentax MG from a relative that seems to have been kept in relatively good condition. I spent yesterday going over the camera and making sure everything seemed to be working properly, then loaded a roll of film in to take some test shots. I got about 10 exposures in and everything was working great, then I put the camera in my bag to go and have dinner. When I took it back out later I suddenly noticed an obstruction when looking through the viewfinder.

Eventually this thing seemed to come lose completely, and it's not moving around directly in front of the viewing glass of the eyepiece. Addittionally, when I apply light pressure of the viewfinder window itself, it wiggles slightly, like it's not secured.

From looking at the similar Pentax ME Service Manual, the little metal piece looks to be part # N7 - Eyepiece Protector.

I'm just curious if anyone has an idea of how difficult/expensive this would be to repair? Other than the loose glass and this piece moving around partially blocking the view, the viewfinder itself seems to be functioning normally. Any information would be appreciated!
For some reason it doesn't seem like the picture is showing up in the post, link here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

04-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax MG is plentiful on ebay. You can buy another for a fraction of the cost of repair.
04-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #3

So there are at least two of them out there in the wild! I have one with the same problem. Camera seems to work fine other than this. Since I have plenty of other Pentax cameras to use, I put my back on the shelf about two years ago and there it sets. Know this isn't much help, but this seems to be a problem that doesn't show up very often??