Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Film memo holders

Hi all,

I've been looking for stick-on film memo holders for my older film cameras. Something akin to stick-on pockets that holds the 35mm film box tab to remind one what film is loaded in each camera. My searches have yielded nothing (but I'm lousy at searching). Any suggestions on where I can buy some.

Thanks!!

04-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Why not just use a separate body for each film type ?
04-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Hi all,

I've been looking for stick-on film memo holders for my older film cameras. Something akin to stick-on pockets that holds the 35mm film box tab to remind one what film is loaded in each camera. My searches have yielded nothing (but I'm lousy at searching). Any suggestions on where I can buy some.

Thanks!!
Back in the day I used (a lot of) double-stick tape and attached the box end to the bottom plate.

That being said, did you see this Argentum post on APUG?

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6494

Last edited by monochrome; 04-30-2017 at 11:01 AM.
04-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recall camera stores used to give these away, with their advertising on them.
The defunct Porters catalog was the last place I saw them for sale, years ago.
They turn up on eBay now and then. Sellers may describe using various terms.

Chris

04-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #5

Get some self-adhesive hook and pile (aka Velcro) fasteners. Laminate the film box top. Attach fastener to camera and laminated box top. Fasten the hook and pile. Done.

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Why not just use a separate body for each film type ?
Because you can still forget what film is in the body, especially if they are all the same model.

And there is this:
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/252268-3d-printed-film-memo-holder-for-my-camera/
04-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #6

I fold up a small piece of the box and slip it into the hotshoe.
04-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. If it were not for my mild case of OCD -- the folding and sticking in hot-shoe/accessory shoe would be great, but since these go into a display case when I'm not shooting them, my neurosis will simply not allow that. :-D The provided links were also very helpful and while a 3D printer would be excellent, I've decided to go a different route for now. (While I work to convince the wife a 3D printer will make us millionaires in designing and manufacturing products to the under-served film photographer market.)

In the meantime, the good ole office supply market to the rescue ...

https://smile.amazon.com/StoreSMART-Pocket-Plastic-25-Pack-STB1301F-25/dp/B0...hesive+pockets

Last edited by ripper2860; 04-30-2017 at 01:51 PM.
05-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have several cameras I use on a regular basis that don't have film memo holders, and I don't always get through with rolls of film in these cameras. In other words, they may sit for a while before I'm finished with a roll and often I'll forget what I've loaded. To eliminate this problem, what I do now is just use a small piece of masking tape on the back of the camera and I'll write on the tape what's loaded. Easy peasy. And unless you're showing off the backs of your cameras in your display case(s), the masking tape doesn't show.

05-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I have several cameras I use on a regular basis that don't have film memo holders, and I don't always get through with rolls of film in these cameras. In other words, they may sit for a while before I'm finished with a roll and often I'll forget what I've loaded. To eliminate this problem, what I do now is just use a small piece of masking tape on the back of the camera and I'll write on the tape what's loaded. Easy peasy. And unless you're showing off the backs of your cameras in your display case(s), the masking tape doesn't show.
Dare I say GENIUS!!

So instead of spending what I did I could have bought a roll of Frog low adhesive masking tape and a Sharpie. (Feeling rather stupid right about now.)
05-03-2017, 01:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Well, thanks for your kind words, but actually, I'd have to say you came up with a rather clever solution. Maybe a bit on the large side, but it should certainly work.
05-03-2017, 01:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Back in the day I used (a lot of) double-stick tape and attached the box end to the bottom plate.
Most of my cameras did have memo holders, but for those that didn't I would cut a small square out of the box with the ISO and other information and stick it in the hot shoe. Failing that I'd cut off a piece of the box and tape it securely to the back of the camera.
05-03-2017, 02:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

When I shot film (35 mm and 6x4.5), each body or magazine had a Dymo label with the film details on it. The bodies / magazines used for colour also had a red spot beside the label.