Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buying a KX film slr tomorrow...

I'm excited (I think) to be buying a KX film slr tomorrow. Found one basically free with the purchase of a few K series lenses and I'm thinking why not give film a try.
I'm wondering what I should be looking for to decide if the camera's worth the trouble. Any tips? I'm assuming at least I'll have to replace the light seals. The owner says it's in decent shape but he hasn't used it in a long time...

04-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the camera was stored cocked, the exposure of the top shutter speeds may be uneven. Shoot some pictures of the sky and see if one side is darker than the other. Sometimes it is bad enough to see by taking the lens off, opening the back holding the camera at arms length looking through the opening while firing the shutter and looking at an evenly lit subject. 1/1000 sec. will be the worst with 1/500 next worst.
Also, if there are batteries in the camera, clean the inside of the battery cap. If there is corrosion, use a drop lime scale cleaner and neutralize the acid with baking soda. (Or you can try just scraping).
04-30-2017, 10:15 PM   #3

Be sure that you can see the aperture number in the top of the viewfinder with any K, M, F or even FA lens. One of the beauties of it was a full-information viewfinder. And try changing shutter speeds with just the shooting finger...it used to be easy to move up or down the range.
04-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is that the KX with the K55/1.8, K135/3.5 and the K28/3.5 on the Vancouver Craigslist? Nice to see it go to a forum member. It's a good value - just about scooped it myself...

04-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Is that the KX with the K55/1.8, K135/3.5 and the K28/3.5 on the Vancouver Craigslist? Nice to see it go to a forum member. It's a good value - just about scooped it myself...
Yes! Even though I already have the 28. Maybe I'll sell it...
04-30-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by conniption Quote
Yes! Even though I already have the 28. Maybe I'll sell it...
If it's in good shape you'll have no difficulty selling it. It's a stellar lens, though I am partial to the F28/2.8 myself.
04-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
If the camera was stored cocked, the exposure of the top shutter speeds may be uneven. Shoot some pictures of the sky and see if one side is darker than the other. Sometimes it is bad enough to see by taking the lens off, opening the back holding the camera at arms length looking through the opening while firing the shutter and looking at an evenly lit subject. 1/1000 sec. will be the worst with 1/500 next worst.
Also, if there are batteries in the camera, clean the inside of the battery cap. If there is corrosion, use a drop lime scale cleaner and neutralize the acid with baking soda. (Or you can try just scraping).
Is there a remedy for the exposure problem?

04-30-2017, 11:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A simple service from a good independent camera shop will see you right. However, old cameras were tough, and will often still be running well even now. A first roll of film should include shots up to 1/1000s, as others have said - make sure these aren't darker on one side. Use a digital camera or a good handheld meter to make sure that the KX's meter is accurate and that the ISO ring changes the meter readings accurately.
If any of the mechanics are working but a bit off, and it comes with those nice lenses, then I'd say it would be worth a service to give you happy snapping for many years to come. The 28mm will probably sell for the price of a good service, so you're unlikely to come out of the deal too badly!
05-01-2017, 12:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes, if I have capping at the high speeds, I have opened the bottom plate and injected minute amounts of Shellite (Like lighter fluid) solvent into moving joints. You don't want anything running down the curtain spindles onto the curtains, so keep the camera upright until the stuff evaporates. This can loosen things up enough to work. Once, when I had high speed capping, I locked the mirror up and it disappeared. Conclusion, the mirror was too slow to trip the shutter properly. Found out what was causing the mirror to hang and freed it up. Result, capping gone.
05-01-2017, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I always assume that any camera I buy from the film era will need a CLA so I figure that into the cost. A CLA with light seal and bumper replacement is about $100 by the time you figure in the shipping. The KX is one of those cameras that is so robust that regardless of what's wrong with it (unless it has been abused), a CLA should have it working like new. I bought a mint SV that the shutter wouldn't fire and had a CLA done by Eric and now it's like a new camera.

My point is, look for obvious physical damage. If there is none, even if the camera isn't functioning mechanically, it's likely worth getting if the price is right.
05-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions
Easy to do yourself but don't clean the mirror!
05-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'd say, go for it! I bought a clean KX off eBay, I think it was, about five years ago. Who knows how long it sat. Usually, I find that clean cameras are the ones that have sat on shelves or in closets their entire lives, which can be good and bad, depending largely on the camera. Fortunately, the KX, is such a robust camera that it doesn't seem to be affected by neglect. Mine has worked perfectly since the first roll of film I put through it. Even the slow shutter speeds are accurate, which tend to get lazy from disuse. I guess the fast speeds are close too since mine doesn't exhibit capping or underexposure at these speeds.

One thing I'd recommend you do -- grab a couple of LR44's or equivalent (the 1.5v button cell batteries) to take with you to make sure the meter works. It probably does. The KX is a real tank.

Last edited by cooltouch; 05-02-2017 at 12:59 PM.
05-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KX was my first and still favorite Pentax. I now have three, all serviced by Eric Hendrickson.
Fortunately for anyone interested in buying one there seems to be a good supply available on eBay.
I would not buy one with non-working meter, as the meter movement is probably unattainable now.

Chris
05-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm excited (I think) to be buying a KX film slr tomorrow.
. . . The owner says it's in decent shape but he hasn't used it in a long time...
It's tomorrow already, how is it?
05-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I would not buy one with non-working meter, as the meter movement is probably unattainable now.

Chris
I got a KX motor drive body a while back with a non-working meter.Eric was able to repair/replace it.Not sure how many spare KX meters he might have though.

Last edited by 17dew; 05-03-2017 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added word