Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #1

Pentax LX Build Quality

The LX is clearly a well built SLR, but does anyone else think that the plastic dials let it down by looking cheap line and entry level camer and also that the rewind knob looks like it has a bit missing under the actual liftable knob linke a ring should be there ? Or is it just me ?

Is this blasphemy ???

Last edited by Frosty66; 05-03-2017 at 02:49 PM.
05-03-2017, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Entry level camera for what era? The design is nearly 40 years old!

My LX is in great shape with no sign of the dials losing the lettering or falling off. They are obviously not "cheap"
05-03-2017, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I don't think those things at all. In all the decades I've used LX'es this is the first time I've ever heard the words 'entry' or 'cheap' associed with it.

It is important to understand that from the early 60's through the early 90's 'plastic' was considered modern and desirable - a positive attribute - not the converse. I once had a $750 (1962 dollars) handmade bamboo / nickel-silver fly fishing rod that came with an aluminum protective tube and plastic screw-in cap, rather than a brass cap. The plastic cap was a feature - it would not cross-thread like the old, soft brass caps.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-03-2017 at 02:20 PM.
05-03-2017, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only plastic "dial" as such on the LX is the shutter speed dial, unless you count the cap on the film advance lever. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I have never thought the plastic in the shutter dial looked cheap. Not all plastics are equal.

05-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
I was thinking plastic like the later consumer Pentaxes. I know it's not cheap plastic but when you compare the appearance of them to the metal types of the MX I know what I prefer. But it seems like it's just me !

But it's the rewind know looking like something is missing that bugs me the most.
05-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty66 Quote
the rewind knob looks like it has a bit missing under the actual liftable knob linke a ring should be there ? Or is it just me ?
It is just you. The rewind is supposed to be that way and is very similar to other Pentax cameras of the era. FWIW, the standoff is about the same as the Nikon F3. As for the shutter speed dial, I have often thought that the raised lettering looked out of place, but no more so that the similar dial on my K-3.

Steve
05-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
Maybe I'm just not used to it, it's quite different from the other Pentax SLR's.

05-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
wind knob looks like it has a bit missing under the actual liftable knob
I don't think LX looks cheap by any means, but I agree with you the winding knob looks missing a bottom piece. I received a PM asking if my LX for sell missing this part
05-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I don't think LX looks cheap by any means, but I agree with you the winding knob looks missing a bottom piece. I received a PM asking if my LX for sell missing this part
LOL yes thats what I mean ! Overall it doesn't look cheap certainly. I've not used it yet as it needs some fixing up but whether I use it long term and "need" the LX, or just stick with the MX remains to be seen.
05-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

But it's the rewind know looking like something is missing that bugs me the most.
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Interesting observation and one I haven't noticed after all the cameras I have compared the LX to. Can you share pics/details showing this?
05-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In all the years I've had my LX the word cheap never crossed my mind.....wait, I did have to get the seals and mirror bumpers replaced two years ago after 25 years of service so maybe.....
05-03-2017, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
In all the years I've had my LX the word cheap never crossed my mind.....wait, I did have to get the seals and mirror bumpers replaced two years ago after 25 years of service so maybe.....
I seriously doubt that service was cheap . . . .

Regarding the rewind crank appearing as if a trim ring is missing, look at the positioning of the film sped release button and frame, which precludes (I think) addition of a trim ring.

Regarding the shutter speed knob raised letters - I never noticed. They look fine to me - pretty technical and advanced actually versus a simple, printed dial. I guess it is a matter of taste.

IMHO the LX is sublime. I've never really enjoyed the tiny, fiddly MX. The LX is a near perfect film camera. If it had AE Lock it would BE perfect (strange omission if you ask me).
Attached Images

Last edited by monochrome; 05-04-2017 at 08:18 AM.
05-03-2017, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Don't worry Frosty66. It isn't heresy. It doesn't bother me at all that you think the LX looks cheap. If everyone loved the LX there would be none left for me.

Besides, the MX is certainly no slouch so you are still in good company.
05-04-2017, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Besides, the MX is certainly no slouch so you are still in good company.
My LX is a near mint example serviced by Erik, yet I am more comfortable with my MXs for their simplicity.
05-04-2017, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

The LX was a well designed and well made camera, no question.

But I agree with those who can't quite get comfortable with the shutter dial. Those raised numbers and letters remind me too much of the Mamiya ZE-2 (which I suppose may have copied the Pentax). I never thought they looked classy on the Mamiya, and they didn't look any better on the LX.

Prefer the dial style of the MX.