Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2017, 09:29 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First film in over a decade

Well, I finally did it. I shot the first film that I've shot since 2002 when I went digital. I actually shot it back in September I think but I have been so busy buying gear that I didn't have the budget to purchase the chemicals to develop the film I have shot. I've actually still got three more rolls of 35mm to develop and one roll of 220.

So these are some shots from a roll of Fujifilm Superia 400 color film that I shot in an MX that I bought but found in testing was not in the condition it was advertised to be in so I ended up returning it. I developed it in D76 for 15 minutes with a 6 minute fix in TF4. I threw it on a cheap light table and shot it wit my 5D3 and a reversed Tokina 28-70 zoom lens. I brought it into LR6 for inversion and some quick adjustments, then Photoshop for auto contrast. I realize that they are not very sharp because of my hasty post processing but I'm super excited about my first ever self-developed film.

05-03-2017, 11:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool. Nicely done!
05-04-2017, 02:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Not bad for a lash-up job and a dodgy camera!

Everyone remembers their first film.

Interesting also to see the result the colour film gave with B&W developer - how/where did you choose the developing time?
05-04-2017, 05:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
For the developing time I just poked around online until I started to see consistent information that made sense to me. I think they turned out pretty good so I think I'll stick with what I did this time. I obviously need to work on a better scanning process though.

05-04-2017, 06:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

*nods*

Of note, I am now viewing this post on a different platform from earlier this morning and the links seem to have broken; I can't see the pictures anymore.
05-04-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
they are not very sharp because of my hasty post processing
The second shot has a very appealing soft-focus quality.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I can't see the pictures anymore
I can see 'em fine.
05-04-2017, 07:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

Hate to spoil the party. Not likely to get me (or anyone else) excited about going back to film. Hopefully the actual images on film are better than these. I used to develop my own B&W film last century before converting to digital.

05-04-2017, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixelhdr Quote
Hate to spoil the party. Not likely to get me (or anyone else) excited about going back to film. Hopefully the actual images on film are better than these. I used to develop my own B&W film last century before converting to digital.
Awww. Nobody cares.
05-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Hate to spoil the party. Not likely to get me (or anyone else) excited about going back to film
Then what are you doing wandering around in the film SLR thread, raining on OP's parade? Get thee back to digital!
05-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
Forum Member

It is on the front page of this site. Anyone can see. Why do you feel so offended. It is an objective assessment. Not personal. If you cannot take it negative comment, tell this to site management.
05-04-2017, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bravo! I love seeing film coming back and people playing with it. Even though my trusty old ME Super still lives, I picked up an LX off eBay and have shot a couple rolls of B&W and loving it. For the moment I've done a hi-bred approach like you. I took the negatives and used my bellows unit to shoot them with my K3II. They came out pretty well. I still do traditional printing in the darkroom, but the hi-bred approach is kinda neat. Keep having fun with it - great stuff!
05-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

It is on the front page of this site. Anyone can see. Why do you feel so offended. It is an objective assessment. Not personal. If you cannot take it negative comment, tell this to site management.
Lose the 'tude, dude.
05-04-2017, 01:39 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You are entitled to your opinion, but trolling someone's technique exploration is low...very, very low.

Steve
05-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian

It may well be on the front page of this site, but perhaps if you'd taken more care, you would have noted that clicking that link had brought you to a subforum ABOUT FILM CAMERAS. That being the case, raining on the OP's parade the way you did was doubly inappropriate. If I were in your shoes, I would apologise for my double gaffe and think very carefully in future about what I was rubbishing and where. Doubling down the way you are doing is likely to get you ignored or even banned.
05-04-2017, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting choice for your first roll in years, i.e. color film cross-processed as BW.

Chris