Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Interesting choice for your first roll in years, i.e. color film cross-processed as BW.

Chris
That was my thinking too. Not my first choice, but it's an interesting look.

05-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
As for bashing the artist's chosen medium, I served 21 years in the military as an aircraft mechanic on the flightline. I have pretty thick skin. I won't lose one wink of sleep over a complete stranger's opinion of what I'm doing. For those who understand my excitement and are encouraging me, Thank you. I do appreciate the encouragement.

For those who are confused about my choice to cross process, it's like this, Wal Mart doesn't sell black and white film and in our small town, if they don't sell it, you have to drive 100 miles round trip to get it. My plan was to buy a couple of rolls of film to test my new 35mm purchase and have them developed to ensure that everything was working well. When I took the film in to get it processed and found out that they give you back a disk and dispose of the negatives, I decided that I would rather learn to process it myself. I really have no desire at this point to get involved in color processing and read that color film can be processed with a B&W developer and since this was just a test roll anyway, I decided what the heck?

I have a few more rolls of color film that I will be developing in D76 including another roll of this Fuji Superia and a roll of expired Portra 160 220 that was given to me with a bunch of other 35mm and 120/220 film. There are other rolls of color film in that batch and all of it is expired. It was frozen when I got it so I'm hoping that means it was well kept. Either way, once I'm confident in my abilities to produce decent or better images using the film process, I'll start buying the correct B&W film and taking greater care to make the final images more than just fuzzy test shots.
05-05-2017, 03:43 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
When I took the film in to get it processed and found out that they give you back a disk and dispose of the negatives
It would be interesting to do a check of the law. Technically the negatives are your property (you paid for the film after all), and disposing of them should be illegal. You ought to be able to demand them back, "store policy" notwithstanding. Most large companies do not respond well to bad publicity and lawsuits.

It would make an interesting predecent in law, especially when it came time for them to both justify the practice and to demonstrate that negatives with e.g. pics of people's children on them were not just getting tossed out to potentially end up in the wrong hands.
05-05-2017, 05:20 AM   #19
Forum Member

Learning can be hard, objective criticisms are necessary part of learning. I would not mind being banned if I had intended that to be personal. Commenting on technique is fair game. Not expressing an honest opinion is at a minimum not helpful and lying in the worst case. All of the responses addressing me have been personal. If you can't take any criticism, find another hobby.

05-05-2017, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixelhdr Quote
Learning can be hard, objective criticisms are necessary part of learning. I would not mind being banned if I had intended that to be personal. Commenting on technique is fair game. Not expressing an honest opinion is at a minimum not helpful and lying in the worst case. All of the responses addressing me have been personal. If you can't take any criticism, find another hobby.
Seeing's how you got nothing, I'm going to have to put you on ignore. Have a great day.
05-05-2017, 05:52 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixelhdr Quote
If you insist on harsh objective criticism, you might want to try criticizing the work for what it is, a set of quick test shots to see if a camera was working properly or not, developed by someone who has never done it before, cross processed just to see how they would turn out. Your criticism might be better received if you keep it relevant to the work that was done. Otherwise, it's just misguided and unhelpful at best, rude and uncalled for at worst.
05-05-2017, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Seeing's how you got nothing, I'm going to have to put you on ignore. Have a great day.
I'm curious about what was so offensive - I can't see it because this particular poster is a legacy member of my very small Ignore List - but not curious enough to actually look.

I'll stick with, 'this feels like hearing one side of a heated telephone conversation'. It's more interesting that way .

05-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

#2 has a quality of light I don't think you could have achieved with B&W film and you'd probably have to work really hard to emulate it in digital. I like this effort - please keep showing your results.
05-05-2017, 06:45 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm curious about what was so offensive - I can't see it because this particular poster is a legacy member of my very small Ignore List - but not curious enough to actually look.

I'll stick with, 'this feels like hearing one side of a heated telephone conversation'. It's more interesting that way .
Won't be switching to film blah blah blah.
05-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I can't see it because this particular poster is a legacy member of my very small Ignore List
I long for the good old days, when the offensiveness of the people on one's ignore list was still reflected in the post-quotes made by others and you could at least get a glimpse of the fuss they were (still) causing. Now those quotes are suppressed, and you have to de-ignore the offender (however briefly) to see what the fuss was about at all. A retrograde step, IMO.
05-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
Wal Mart doesn't sell black and white film and in our small town, if they don't sell it, you have to drive 100 miles round trip to get it.
Now that you have given home processing a try, you can free yourself from Walmart and order your film online. B&H and Adorama usually have a good selection as does Freestyle. Freestyle is sort of cool in that their house brand films are usually decent quality and reasonably-priced.

Steve
05-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Bulk mono daylight loader changing bag (dark bag) cut down costs.
Like soulful shot of kid show it to first boy friend.
05-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Congrats!

If you haven't tried it, TF-5 fixer is an odorless version of the TF-4 fixer and is worth considering. Just FYI.
05-05-2017, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think it's very objective to come into the Pentax Film SLR forum and tell someone they shouldn't shoot film.
I'm not a big fan of digital but I don't troll the Pentax dSLR forum, telling members they shouldn't shoot digital.

Chris
05-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I don't think it's very objective to come into the Pentax Film SLR forum and tell someone they shouldn't shoot film.
I think the Obnoxious One simply clicked the link from the front page and didn't bother to check which subforum they had landed in (though it doesn't defend them doubling down as they did). I must admit, I've done a double-take a couple of times when seeing the occasional "recent posts" thread title asking what Canon or Sony or whatever lens is best for their OEM body, but a quick over-thread hover of the mouse or a glance at the top header soon reassures me that it's the non-Pentax subforum and all is cool.