Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

ME Super Dismantling

I understand that to remove the focus screen one has to go in from the top, but can anyone advise the most straightforward way of getting all the electronics out of the way so I can start accesssing the plastic cover and pentaprism etc?

I'm experimenting on a battered one and if I can get into it OK I want to swap out the focus screen with one that is near mist but with a messed up focus ccreen.

Last edited by Frosty66; 05-04-2017 at 01:31 PM.
05-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #2

hello Frosty66,

the ME Super camera is not an easy camera to work, anyhow here i leave you its service manual, it might help...

good luck,
./js

PS: Attachment removed to save space, if anyone needs it please send me a PM.

Last edited by james_saltwood; 05-07-2017 at 02:41 AM.
05-04-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that ! Yes I notice that once the top cover came off, the PCB seems to be stuck to the plastic cover !

Are bodies like the MG, MV1 etc pretty much the same guts as the ME Super ?
05-04-2017, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty66 Quote
Thanks for that ! Yes I notice that once the top cover came off, the PCB seems to be stuck to the plastic cover !

Are bodies like the MG, MV1 etc pretty much the same guts as the ME Super ?
The MG, MV were stripped down from the ME Super. Quite honestly the quality of these cameras show they were built to a price rather than a standard. Stamped metal parts are prone to bending. The function plastic dial, can simply fall off. The MX is another story, much better.

05-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes good points. So I'm getting the impression that if you need to get to anything underneath the PCB's it's realistically time to bit it !

I do have the MX which is my one to keep ! But I keep ending up with other things when stuff comes as bundles of stuff in addition to the single ME Super I'm supposed to have !
05-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
I did it ! I just transplanted the viewscreen from the damaged ME to an MV 1. It's quite fiddly and needs a few wires unsoldered, not many though. The ME is in more pieces than it needed to be as I was figuring out how to do it. The MV1 is slightly easier as it has fewer wired getting in the way, but very similar otherwise.

Seeing the pieces as they come apart I did become very aware of the difference in build quality since the Spotmatic !
05-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did it ! I just transplanted the viewscreen from the damaged ME to an MV 1. It's quite fiddly and needs a few wires unsoldered, not many though. The ME is in more pieces than it needed to be as I was figuring out how to do it. The MV1 is slightly easier as it has fewer wired getting in the way, but very similar otherwise.

Seeing the pieces as they come apart I did become very aware of the difference in build quality since the Spotmatic !
Well good for you taking this on. I have more disasters than successes when I venture into the workings of lenses and cameras. One mistake can do a lot of damage, and lack of experience can make a simple job, a days long ordeal. Parts spring out from nowhere, often found days later if ever.

05-07-2017, 04:54 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Well good for you taking this on. I have more disasters than successes when I venture into the workings of lenses and cameras. One mistake can do a lot of damage, and lack of experience can make a simple job, a days long ordeal. Parts spring out from nowhere, often found days later if ever.
Thanks, I may have been more reluctant if I did not try bit out on the scrap donor first. TBH I probably could have fixed the winding problem on the ME, but it also had a dented back cover. Also it may have ordinarily have been better to use the screen to save another ME Super rather than an MV 1 since the ME super is superios, however the MV 1 was in such good conditional cosmetically it just had to be done. It came as non working with some SP's I bought, all it needed was new batteries, a battery cover clean and replacing a missing motor winder cover (also from the donot ME Super). I am enjoying doing all this although whether it is an "economic" use of my time is another matter. :-)
05-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I am enjoying doing all this although whether it is an "economic" use of my time is another matter. :-)
The key word here is ENJOYING. Ask yourself - could Eric Hendrickson do it better? Yes, of course he could! But sending it off to him would rob you of the fun of trying, and you would never have learned a new skill.
05-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #10

Original Poster
Just I have to say I do enjoy getting these things working, but do hate having to salvage things from another body instead of getting that one going too !
05-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #11

Hi, like many others, I'm trying to teach this old dog new tricks and fix up the occasional old thrift shop camera, for fun. (Until it's not!). I have picked up an ME Super in great cosmetic shape, but the advance did not wind the film or engage the shutter. Taking the bottom place off...there were some springs and the like that were loose.

Trying to put humpty back together again, but I'm not finding photos or schematics that can help. Does anyone here have some advice?

Thanks
05-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's the best I can do for you.