Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Some Thoughts on My New (to me) ME Super

Hi, film folks,

I received my ME Super a couple of months ago, but have not been able to use until recently. I picked up a winder, had Eric CLA the camera, and was also waiting on an adapter to be delivered. Thus, I finally snapped my first shot with it a couple of days ago.

At first, I disliked the camera's push button shutter speed selector. It is quite different from that of my ZX-M and from other vintage cameras I have used and owned. After taking some more shots, I think I am used to the little buttons. I still prefer a wheel selector, but my fingers seem to be adapting.

In all others areas, the ME Super body is excellent. The viewfinder is like looking though a window--just superb. The camera also handles very well. Interestingly, I find it better to meter using the camera's shutter release rather than the shutter release on the ME Winder II. The release on the winder requires only a very light touch--which I really appreciate--and thus I find it safer to meter with the more forgiving release on the camera. The winder button also produces a slight motor noise when lightly depressed.

Any similar experiences or other points of view?

Glen

08-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteQuote:
In all others areas, the ME Super body is excellent. The viewfinder is like looking though a window--just superb. The camera also handles very well. Interestingly, I find it better to meter using the camera's shutter release rather than the shutter release on the ME Winder II. The release on the winder requires only a very light touch--which I really appreciate--and thus I find it safer to meter with the more forgiving release on the camera. The winder button also produces a slight motor noise when lightly depressed.
I dont yet own winder ME II for my ME-F so I cant comment but I do own the winder MX I normally keep the shutter locked on the MX and only use the winder.(when its attatched) even if the winder is off it will still meter and light up the LED's. my winder MX makes no noise when half-depressed.

if you like the ME supers viewfinder all I can say is try the MX's. as for the push button shutter selection... I actually prefer that to the wheel because I can change speeds much faster. its easier with the MX since it displays shutter speed in the viewfinder but with my K1000 its a pain in the ass and I generally have to take my eye away and look at the wheel. the wheel looks cooler though if thats worth anything. the only thing about my ME-F that I dont like is lack of DOF preview my MX has it and I find myself missing it with the ME-F. I find I can do without the aperture display window of the MX so no loss there, but I really wish my MX had EV compensation. I think thats my favourite aspect of my ME-F (next to the focus confirmation) and something that I think a 'pro' camera such as the MX should have. my ME-F's body feels great just as robust and rugged as the MX and fits in my hand better due to the larger size. overall I really like my ME-F and share your enthusiasm for the ME super. great cameras.
08-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting comments, seamuis. I wonder if my ME Winder II has some type of flaw. Externally, it is in outstanding condition. It seems to be advancing correctly. Does anyone else have an ME Winder II that makes a sound when its shutter release is half-depressed?
08-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I have figured it out. I tried pressing the button again, and I gather I had been pressing the button a bit too firmly, and thus engaging the motor slightly in doing so. I say this because I see that I am able to touch the button lightly without hearing the motor engage (with the meter working correctly, too).

Glen

PS: I am getting more accustomed to the push buttons. After taking about 25 or 26 shots, I am beginning to think: how could anyone part with this camera? I have occasionally wondered about the previous owners of my camera equipment, and am always puzzled as to how one would want to give up such nice gear. I guess digital just has to be better. What a laugh.

Last edited by zx-m; 08-13-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
08-31-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
I have occasionally wondered about the previous owners of my camera equipment, and am always puzzled as to how one would want to give up such nice gear. I guess digital just has to be better. What a laugh.
A little while back I picked up a KX and ME Super and some lenses from a guy on Craigslist. Both bodies are well worn and the KX will be sent in for a CLA. I have run film through both and I love both for different reasons. The ME Super is smooth and everything works fine, it's meter is working right on. The flash isn't working on the KX's hot shoe and the mirror's foam is deteriorating but it is still taking nice pics. I love it's all mechanical constuction and it's meter is still doing a good job also. On both bodies the 31 Limited rocks! I also have a Super Program.
Now, my youngest kid (28, not a kid anymore but you know what I mean:-)) shoots for the USAF and they use Nikons so he's a real Nikon kinda guy. I have had the darndest time trying to convert him from the dark side:-).
Well he mentioned he would love to get into film and he's a manual shooting freak, so what's a Dad to do? Thankfully the KX needs work:-), I would have given it to him but I love that body, I have a TTL flash for the Super Program so I didn't want to give it up either and he didn't want a lot of automation, so I've shipped the ME Super off to him with 5 Pentax lenses, the K-28/3.5, M-50/2, K-55/1.8, M-135/3.5, and a K-200/4. That should get him going into the Pentax way:-).
That said, if I come across another ME Super deal and have the money handy, I'll buy it. What a lovely camera and it takes some great photos. The buttons to change the shutter speed on it and the Super Program were weird at first but with practice I find them easier to use than the dial on the KX, it's just a matter of adapting to the equpment. The huge advantage of the KX, to me, is the MLU and I love the match needle metering. Classic. It's a great advanced basic camera, if you know what I mean.
But the viewfinder on that ME Super, wow, what a viewfinder. No way I would have sold that camera ZX-M but I gave it up for my kid because I know he will appreciate it and I can't wait to see images he produces with it. He has a great eye and is the kind of photographer I wish I could be. He comes up with some truly great shots and I've learned a bunch from him. If he thinks one of my photos is crap, he has no problem telling me it's crap:-).
An example from the ME Super with the M-28/3.5
09-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate your interesting comments. The photograph is very nice. I gather it was taken in the backcountry of Idaho?

PS: I just picked up the screwmount version of the lens used in the above photo--I got a Super Takumar 28/3.5. I look forward to seeing some results.
09-02-2008, 03:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I got the ME because I only intended to shoot aperture-priority with it. If I want to monkey with the shutter speed, I have other cameras I can do that with. Still, either flavor of the ME is a very nice camera. I'd take mine out and use it more often if it didn't mean hauling K-mount lenses around with me. I suppose I could buy another adapter and solve that problem, though.

09-02-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes zx-m, that's the Coeur d'Alene River in Idaho. I also have the Tak 28/3.5, great lens:-).
09-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have heard that the Idaho panhandle is beautiful. Actually, I gather that Idaho offers many scenic wonders.

What type of film did you use for the photo? The green range is quite nice.
09-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Along the same lines as Mike, I too love that I can simply play with the aperture and not think about the shutter speed. I find that the internal meter is quite accurate. I love that it is small, but the view finder....Goodness, it is like real life....
09-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zx-m, it was just basic Fuji 200 speed film I bought at the grocery store to test the cameras:-).
Oh, I see you are in Virginia:-), I was born and raised in Staunton and came out here when I got out of the service (long story). After I got divorced I thought of moving back to Virginia but I knew I would forever miss the river systems out here.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 09-03-2008 at 04:46 PM.
09-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Interesting comments, seamuis. I wonder if my ME Winder II has some type of flaw. Externally, it is in outstanding condition. It seems to be advancing correctly. Does anyone else have an ME Winder II that makes a sound when its shutter release is half-depressed?
I have one, but don't really use it as I don't find a need for it. If I want high-speed shooting I'll use the K10D.

Still, I'll try to remember to test it this evening and I'll let you know if it makes a noise or not (feel free to PM me to remind me if I don't do it ).

As I'm not using the winder, if anyone here wants it, please PM me an offer.

I have recently started using the ME Super's big brother, the SuperProgram, and am impressed with the first roll of film I've shot through it. I like the solid thunk of the mirror slap, and shooting with it has been a simple pleasure, making me relish each shot. I used Kodak BW400BN, and am thinking I should get a yellow or orange filter and some real B&W film for it.

Last edited by Miserere; 09-05-2008 at 08:50 AM.
09-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Mis, how good to see you here in our small but great film forum.
09-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Mis, how good to see you here in our small but great film forum.
I got my first roll of film in years developed over the weekend, so now I qualify for admittance here

I'll start a thread on "the other forum" with some of the pics from that roll. Maybe this evening...
09-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I got my first roll of film in years developed over the weekend, so now I qualify for admittance here

I'll start a thread on "the other forum" with some of the pics from that roll. Maybe this evening...
I will be looking for them. I love your photography!!!!