Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah I agree, the K2 is good, but the K2DMD is a step up and rivals the LX.
Having had both, I actually prefer the K2DMD to the LX...

The K2, not so much. For me the lack of aperture readout in the viewfinder is a big minus, but the deal breaker is the lack of a split prism.

05-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
The K2, not so much. For me the lack of aperture readout in the viewfinder is a big minus, but the deal breaker is the lack of a split prism.
Depends on your K2. I've had two, and both have had split prisms.
05-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Depends on your K2. I've had two, and both have had split prisms.
You're right - I'd forgotten about that. I even had a black split prism K2 a number of years ago.

That said, the K2DMD has everything "right" as standard issue: black, judas window, and split prism. The only thing better, in my mind, would be a 45 degree angled split prism, but those don't exist for the K bodies as far as I know (or was there a K1000 variant with a 45 degree split? I can't recall.)
05-12-2017, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're right - I'd forgotten about that. I even had a black split prism K2 a number of years ago.

That said, the K2DMD has everything "right" as standard issue: black, judas window, and split prism. The only thing better, in my mind, would be a 45 degree angled split prism, but those don't exist for the K bodies as far as I know (or was there a K1000 variant with a 45 degree split? I can't recall.)
Yep as well as the aperture reading in the Judas window turns red when you are using exposure compensation. I once shot most of a roll of film with a K2 and did not notice the exposure compensation was not at "1".

Phil.

05-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I once shot most of a roll of film with a K2 and did not notice the exposure compensation was not at "1".
You were just pushing (or pulling) the exposure before it was cool.
05-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I once shot most of a roll of film with a K2 and did not notice the exposure compensation was not at "1".
Definitely have done that.

(I'll admit to never having used a K2DMD. How is the judas window compared to the KX, as I found that one useless with glasses due to its position.)
05-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
(I'll admit to never having used a K2DMD. How is the judas window compared to the KX, as I found that one useless with glasses due to its position.)
Basically the same as the KX, but has the "red" exposure factor indicator as well. I use an eye-cup all the time, so it would be similar to wearing glasses, you have to look up to see the Judas window,.

Phil.

05-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use my K2 mostly on Automatic and I'm quite happy doing that. If I want more control I generally use the KX.

Interestingly, I think the silver K2 is the best looking Pentax released after the SV. It's sort of muscular. I've bought and sold several and swapped one for a KX and I always get sucked into buying it again. I think the design is seductive.
05-13-2017, 12:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I have a 45 degree split prism in my Ricoh XR-M and I find that I often have to turn the camera 45º to get the precis focusing I need. I understand the thinking but I'd rather have the prism with "normal" orientation.
05-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of all the manual focus 35mm Pentax bodies that I have used, the K2 was/is my favorite. I can no longer handhold cameras and shoot, but when I could the K2 was my main 35mm. I preferred focusing with the standard K2 screen much more than the split prism KX I had. I also liked the handling of the K2 more than any other manual focus K-mount body I tried. I used pretty much every different manual focus Pentax except the LX and K2 DMD, and I always liked my beat up black K2 the best.