Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2020, 07:57 AM   #16

Thank you, I tried the final solution you described and my K1000 meter is now working!
QuoteOriginally posted by rkraneis Quote
Thanks to this thread and other threads of information on the Internet, my Pentax K 1000 light meter is now working.

I had a used Pentax K1000 I was giving away to a 3rd grade photographer but the light meter did not work.

Background info:

1) Fresh 357 battery.
2) Battery chamber pristine.

Light meter worked "only" for the B shutter speed setting on 100 ASA. But light meter did not respond to other aperture settings or shutter speeds.

Methods to Repair:

1) Tried another fresh battery. No luck.
2) Tried rotating the ASA film speed dial back and forth as recommended on various sites, no luck.
3) Tried "flicking" the aperture follow lever on camera. Take off the lens, look for a lever. Push the lever to its limit, let go. Did that many times. No luck.

I knew I would not be able to re-solder a corroded light meter wire. Not in my skill set. (Bad at it in 7th grade.)

Final Fix:

Sat on my back porch on a sunny Chicago morning listening to the birds. Working on my Pentax K 1000.

Then I thought, why not "slowly" move aperture follower lever on body of camera INSTEAD of flicking the lever with its spring tension. Push the aperture follow lever to its full limit, do NOT let go, and slowly let the aperture follow lever return to its resting position.

So for about 30 times I worked the aperture follow lever (hope that's its name) back and forth slowly through it's range of about one inch.

HURRAY. I put the lens back on the camera body and tried adjusting shutter speeds and aperture settings. The light meter jumped properly. HURRAY.

I was tempted to "do it some more" thinking it might help "even better". Then I stopped with that thinking. When an old camera starts working again, just be happy. Re-doing my aperture follow lever "slow technique" might have ruined things.

Thanks to this thread and other threads for helping me get my Pentax K 1000 working again. I'm gifting it to a 3rd grader and I think she will be delighted with a working Pentax K1000.

Richard