Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2017, 01:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Parts for Super A

Hi there,

I am an upset owner of a Super A I got from 'The Bay', the seller did not or forgot to send me the battery cover and body grip, I can only stick a coin at the battery compartment to make a short to test the camera, it seems work ok but I am not sure about that. Is that normal the shutter speed will fixed at 1/1000 without lens ? when I attach a lens such as the Tamron 28-105/f4 I can adjust the shutter speed, since I can't make a permanent battery contact the test is not reliable sometimes work sometimes doesn't. I also find the shutter lock is not locking, I can turn the dial with little force to unlock it without pushing the button is that normal ? the last thing for me to do is to purchase the battery cover and body grip, where can I find those ?

05-09-2017, 02:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Is that normal the shutter speed will fixed at 1/1000 without lens ?
When you have the frame counter below 0 (because you opened the film door), the shutter is set to 1/1000 until you get to 1 on the frame counter.

I also find the shutter lock is not locking, I can turn the dial with little force to unlock it without pushing the button is that normal ?
It's an electronic shutter, meaning no battery = no shutter actuation.

the last thing for me to do is to purchase the battery cover and body grip, where can I find those ?
ebay probably

Last edited by aurele; 05-09-2017 at 02:33 AM.
05-09-2017, 02:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
But the shutter lock is mechanical, I find the dial only lock in Auto and M mode, must push the button to release, all other position are free to turn with little force is that normal ?

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
It's an electronic shutter, meaning no battery = no shutter actuation.
05-09-2017, 02:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
But the shutter lock is mechanical, I find the dial only lock in Auto and M mode, must push the button to release, all other position are free to turn with little force is that normal ?
On mine the Lock mechanism only work in L and auto. So i guess yes.

05-09-2017, 03:35 AM   #5

You can order a battery cover from the link below. Pentax part # 24500-A405. This is interchangeable with the ME Super battery cover Pentax part# 23903-A405. Their product #69802
Pentax Camera Repair Parts | Mike's Camera

Part # can be found in the service manuals available on Pentax-manuals.com. The grip is not listed.

The dial does not turn on my Program Plus when locked. I suppose if I forced it it would, probably breaking the lock mechanism.
05-09-2017, 04:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The grip had to be removed when the Winder ME II was used (probably also with the other compatible winders).

If the original owner was always using a winder (I did so with party shooting), it probably got lost; or, after years of usage, he could not find it anymore.

Edit: I saw that on German eBay, many Super As are offered where the grip is missing. Maybe it was possible to buy it without the grip as well.
05-09-2017, 06:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My KX &quot;sacrifice&quot; it's battery cover to the Super A, but must first remove the spacer in order to fit in, the Nikon FM2 one also fit without the spacer but stick out quite a bit, I believe other film SLR has the same type of cover too. <br />
<br />
The grip is a big reason for the purchase, the camera is bit too small to hand hold steady even with my small hands, the package came with the winder, so that's a good excuse the seller lost the body grip ! but I never enjoy using winder with film camera, it is noisy and can't rewind with this camera.

Thanks for the link for the cover, I'll wait for the seller's response before consider to order.
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can order a battery cover from the link below. Pentax part # 24500-A405. This is interchangeable with the ME Super battery cover Pentax part# 23903-A405. Their product #69802<br />
<a href="http://mikescamera.com/pentax-camera-repair-parts.html" target="_blank">Pentax Camera Repair Parts | Mike's Camera</a><br />
<br />
Part # can be found in the service manuals available on Pentax-manuals.com. The grip is not listed.<br />
<br />
The dial does not turn on my Program Plus when locked. I suppose if I forced it it would, probably breaking the lock mechanism.

05-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a battery cover that should fit your Super A. It fits my Super Program which is the same camera. It's kind of ugly, as a battery corroded it a bit but I cleaned up the contact and it is working. PM me your address and you can have it. I don't have any spare grip panels though.
05-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh thanks for that, I'll know if I need it soon !

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I have a battery cover that should fit your Super A. It fits my Super Program which is the same camera. It's kind of ugly, as a battery corroded it a bit but I cleaned up the contact and it is working. PM me your address and you can have it. I don't have any spare grip panels though.
01-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #10

Hi everyone! Im also looking for a battery cover for my Program A. Is there anyone who has one over? I find nothing on Ebay, unfortunately. I would be very happy to be able to use my sadly deceased father's camera again. Thanks.