Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2017, 06:56 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Folks,

An unintended consequence of me going with the ultra simple k1000 is that my girlfriend is actually interested in trying out photography with it! She's turned off by digital firstly, and secondly, the simplicity of the k1000 is a huge appeal. I can teach her the basics of exposure, shutter speed and ISO with this camera easily. So I'm actually really glad I went with this model since there's nothing to distract or confuse a student photographer!

05-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #47
Veteran Member

And that is the appeal of the K1000. That is why it has been the most highly recommended camera for students by instructors. Many people are confused that the K1000 is so highlyrecommended because it is the best camera ever for everyone and anyone. It is recommended so highly for students because they are beginning photographers who benefit from the simplicity of this model. Once a person progresses beyond the level of a beginning photography student and they have a firm grasp on the basics of exposure, other cameras with additional features become more desireable. What do pediatricians recommend for newborn infants eat? Breastmilk. How weird would it be if we all ran around insisting that breastmilk is the best food for all humans, no matter their age or developmental level?
05-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes using the simplest equipment can benefit even an advanced user.
This can help one focus on the most important basic aspects of photography.

Chris
05-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
And that is the appeal of the K1000. That is why it has been the most highly recommended camera for students by instructors. Many people are confused that the K1000 is so highlyrecommended because it is the best camera ever for everyone and anyone. It is recommended so highly for students because they are beginning photographers who benefit from the simplicity of this model. Once a person progresses beyond the level of a beginning photography student and they have a firm grasp on the basics of exposure, other cameras with additional features become more desireable. What do pediatricians recommend for newborn infants eat? Breastmilk. How weird would it be if we all ran around insisting that breastmilk is the best food for all humans, no matter their age or developmental level?
Breast milk and cameras may not have been the best analogy.

05-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Breast milk and cameras may not have been the best analogy.
True, but it makes sense. Now if Pentax reissued an all manual 35mm SLR called the K-BM, Iʻd be very curious what BM stood for.
05-28-2017, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Better breast milk than bowel movement right?
05-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
Better breast milk than bowel movement right?
I think it depends on the age...

But back to the K1000 question, I do think a K1000 is great for anyone new to film and to the exposure triangle. But of course, there are better models with more automation and features once they can fully appreciate the pros and cons of manual vs. automation.