Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Should I buy a k1000?

Hi, Team,

I'm new to the Pentax family. I just built a Pentax 6x7 outfit and I've caught the film bug. At first I thought I was going to fly right over 35mm from digital to medium format. But I see a Pentax k1000 (including 50mm f/2) with a Canonet QL17 on Craigslist for a total of $75.

Providing that the lenses and cameras are free from major issues, this should be a no-brainer, right?

I already have a Canon Rebel film camera that is newer. I haven't looked at it in awhile, and I've never used it. It probably was made in the 90's. I'm sure its an OK camera, but it doesn't inspire me. The k1000 has the mojo - and the QL17 does to a certain extent as well.

So should I buy these?

My lens environment includes a range of Canon APS-C and full-frame options. I also have a good kit for my 67. Will I want to try and use any of these lenses across bodies? I suspect not.

Besides, right now I think I may just use the k1000 with the 50mm f/2, or possibly buy the 50mm f/1.4 and 28mm f/2.8. I'd really like to use it for a compact street and travel camera. I don't think I will do any serious portraiture, landscapes, or wildlife photography with the k1000. My other cameras cover those areas very well.

I know this is a well-loved 35mm camera. Is there any downside to going this route? Thanks for your thoughts!

05-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never used or held a 6x7, so I don't know what it has or doesn't have, but here's what you're missing out on with the K1000:

Self timer
Mirror lock up
Depth of field preview
Off switch (the light meter is running whenever the lenscap is off; too much of this can drain your batteries in a hurry).

It's your call whether any of this matters TO YOU. I am merely putting it out there.

What you get with a working example in good condition is a rugged and reliable camera that runs all shutter speeds without batteries if necessary, has fewer things to go wrong, and is difficult to kill with everyday rough-and-tumble. If you're the sort who's unfazed by manual operation (and even by off-camera metering), that's not to be sneezed at.

"Compact" depends on the size of your hands and the strength of your fingers; I find the K bodies (and the similarly-sized Spotmatics) too big and heavy for prolonged street snapping given the rather brick-like ergonomics, and gravitated to the ME and MX for that as a better match for my hands (they are just as brickish, but the small size lets me get my hands around them in a more pleasing manner). Then again, next to a 6x7, the K series are indeed pretty compact!!
05-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You may like the K1000. When I taught photography I often suggested it as a good starter SLR; many teachers did. The reasons are it's simplicity and toughness. If you are just using hyperfocal settings for street or travel the absence of depth of field preview may not be critical. The mirror lockup is more problematic but if you are shooting handheld it's not relevant. You can't go wrong at that price if the seals are good. Test for light leaks on your first shoot. Have fun! Haven't shot with the K1000 in a while but still love my ME and PZ-1p.
05-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If meters are working on both yeah, why not. A lot of fun for 75 bucks...

Chris

05-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I vote yes. Just because the K1000 is a very simple camera used by many beginners does not mean it's a second rate camera.

I love using mine, I control every aspect of the photograph, and because it's manual, I am slower to compose the shot, I consider the aperture and shutter much more.
05-10-2017, 03:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I vote yes. Just because the K1000 is a very simple camera used by many beginners does not mean it's a second rate camera.

I love using mine, I control every aspect of the photograph, and because it's manual, I am slower to compose the shot, I consider the aperture and shutter much more.
They left out all the things that might go wrong that you don't need.
I'm just as happy with S1a or SV as my K1000 rarely has a battery.
You don't need a silver cell an alkaline or zinc is ok even with E6!

The meter turns itself off in a dark gbag or ERC without a lens cap as one of the three photo resistors switches battery out of circuit when light is below meter range, lasts for years with that proviso, but I remove for caution!

I preset exposure (/16sun) focus and shoot from hip.
05-10-2017, 04:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
The meter turns itself off in a dark gbag or ERC without a lens cap as one of the three photo resistors switches battery out of circuit when light is below meter range
Didn't know that. Interesting. Thanks for passing it on. (I suspect the Spotmatic F is much the same?)

05-10-2017, 04:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you wanted a self timer and depth of field preview, you could always go for a KM, which is effectively a K1000 with a self timer and a depth of field preview!
05-10-2017, 06:14 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Femto1969 Quote
Should I buy a k1000?
YES

The K1000 is one of my favorite cameras, and my 1st SLR - purchased new in 1977.
I regularly shoot with my K1000 and K1000-SE (both serviced by Eric).
I have collected a few K1000s now and some K1000 clones, too.
05-10-2017, 07:55 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hey, Folks, thanks for all the information!

A few things:

The seller already got rid of the Canonet so the current offer is $50 for the Pentax k1000 including the 50mm f/2. He showed me some pictures of the lens that indicated dust, but no fungus in the lens. I'm driving out tonight, and thanks to DCShooter I will be checking the light seals and the meter to make sure everything looks OK. I just watched a video about replacing the light seals. It looks like a relatively simple job (but I am hoping at least the seals on the mirror look workable)

The great news is I don't need any of those features people listed. I just need aperture and shutter speed controls. For more advanced photography I will be using my Pentax 67 or my DSLR. I think I will use the k1000 for a very bare bones street and travel camera. Something to take camping to get great shots of people having fun. I won't need Mirror Up or other bells an whistles for that. I just need something to put 35mm film into and shoot from the hip, as another person said.

This is a totally different discussion, so I will try to find it on this forum: but once I get this body I will probably want to upgrade the lens to the 1.4 and get a 28mm. If anyone knows of any great resources on this forum or otherwise, off the top of their head, to learn about 35mm k-mount lenses. let me have em.

Thanks again!
05-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Didn't know that. Interesting. Thanks for passing it on. (I suspect the Spotmatic F is much the same?)
I have heard that sympathy ie that K1000 uses the same circuit as the later non stop down M42 bodies. But ve not seen a circuit diagram for late M42 bodies.

A multi meter set to micro amps with battery cap removed could be used to confirm...

Good excuse to buy a body but I've resisted so far.

---------- Post added 05-10-17 at 04:01 PM ----------

A few things:

The seller already got rid of the Canonet so the current offer is $50 for the Pentax k1000 including the 50mm f/2. He showed me some pictures of the lens that indicated dust, but no fungus in the lens. I'm driving out tonight, and thanks to DCShooter I will be checking the light seals and the meter to make sure everything looks OK. I just watched a video about replacing the light seals. It looks like a relatively simple job (but I am hoping at least the seals on the mirror look workable)

The great news is I don't need any of those features people listed. I just need aperture and shutter speed controls. For more advanced photography I will be using my Pentax 67 or my DSLR. I think I will use the k1000 for a very bare bones street and travel camera. Something to take camping to get great shots of people having fun. I won't need Mirror Up or other bells an whistles for that. I just need something to put 35mm film into and shoot from the hip, as another person said.

This is a totally different discussion, so I will try to find it on this forum: but once I get this body I will probably want to upgrade the lens to the 1.4 and get a 28mm. If anyone knows of any great resources on this forum or otherwise, off the top of their head, to learn about 35mm k-mount lenses. let me have em.

Thanks again!
User Equipment Reviews - Site Information | PentaxForums.com Go up or down from here...

---------- Post added 05-10-17 at 04:04 PM ----------

A few things:

Thanks again!
The Leica Barnack shutter unlikely to fail on ingesting rubber bits unlike vertical metal, but you might get light leaks or marks on film.
05-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Well now that the gem is gone -- the Canonet, that is -- I recommend you pass on this outfit. For a few bucks more you can buy a KX, which is probably Pentax's best K-series camera. All mechanical except for the meter, self-timer, depth-of-field preview, mirror lock up, and match-needle metering. It is the compleat mechanical workhorse. The only other Pentax that matches its features is the LX, which sells for a LOT more than the KX, and which is battery dependent to boot.

Last edited by cooltouch; 05-10-2017 at 09:37 AM.
05-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
It is the compleat mechanical workhorse.
OP already said he's got his medium format body and DSLR for the heavy lifting; this is just going to be his throw-some-film-in-and-shoot-handheld fun camera.
05-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There's also the MX, which is somewhat lighter.
05-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K1000 is a solid, no nonsense camera that will continue to work long after other more complex electronic-featured models will start to glitch. Whenever I was traveling and needed a rugged camera that I didn't want to worry about, I brought a K1000.

With that said, once I upgraded to medium format, I lost a lot of interest in 35mm photography. So unless you're finding the 67 too heavy, bulky, and slow for your style of shooting, or you're interested in starting a Pentax collection, I think any 35mm negative may feel too small. With medium format, I like the option of significant cropping and the option of working with a negative that can easily enlarge to 16x20" or larger. 35mm looks fine to me up to 11x14" and scans for use on the web. And it is certainly easier to find 35mm film and labs vs. 120/220.