Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2017, 04:01 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Last time I used them (2-3 years ago?), Earl Grey was Fomapan 100
Last time I used Earl Grey, I poured boiling water over it. No idea if it would work as a developer, but it made a lovely cup of tea.

05-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Last time I used Earl Grey, I poured boiling water over it. No idea if it would work as a developer, but it made a lovely cup of tea.
Don't think that's quite what's meant by caffenol.
05-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #18

I always preferred Tri-x for the grain structure and Tmax for its smoothness. Looking forward to trying Double X Kodak movie film soon.
05-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I was gonna say...

05-11-2017, 02:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

For lower ISOs my favourites are Ilford FP4+ and Fuji Acros. The latter I use very rarely because it's incredibly expensive now. FP4+ is just wonderful.

For higher ISOs Tri-X is beautiful stuff but can be hellish to load into a developing reel and can be equally hellish to scan because it curls so much. I've basically given up on it.

HP5+ has produced very flat, dull results for me so far but that could maybe be rectified by changes to developing.

For the time being I regard T-Max 400 as the best all-round, easily available 400 ISO B&W film , though I'll admit I haven't tried Delta 400 yet. There are lots of other 400 ISO B&W films out there from smaller producers and it's nice to go through and test them.

If you use Lady Gray beware - it's recently changed from being T-Max 400 to Fomapan 400 so you may have to adjust exposure and development depending on which version you get. The T-Max is made in the USA and is really ISO 400 and Fomapan is made in the Czech republic and is really closer to ISO 250.
05-11-2017, 04:03 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
If you use Lady Gray beware - it's recently changed from being T-Max 400 to Fomapan 400 so you may have to adjust exposure and development depending on which version you get. The T-Max is made in the USA and is really ISO 400 and Fomapan is made in the Czech republic and is really closer to ISO 250.
Thanks for the heads up on that one. Source?
05-11-2017, 05:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The lady grey here either say made in USA or Czech Republic or EU, Kodak or Foma, you can tell from cassette code or it being missing....

---------- Post added 05-11-17 at 01:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The package in U.K. shops has made in USA or EU and Dx code is different or absent!

05-11-2017, 05:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Dx code is different or absent!
Okay, in that case it's definitely not one for my P3 or P30T!!!
05-11-2017, 06:40 AM   #24
Pentaxian

My go-to film is 400TMX in 120 roll. I can shoot it at EI100 for high contrast scenes or EI400 for lower light or more DOF. Of course I can't mix the the two exposure indexes on the same roll. And 100 Acros is another film I use frequently. It soups well in about any developer and pretty much has no reciprocity failure characteristics. And I'm experimenting with Rollei Retro 80S. But its curl is so bad it makes scanning difficult.
05-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have always liked the look of Tri-X. It's the pink negatives I can do without...

Chris
Try a double fixer stage and wash it longer. That is, fix it normally and then fix one minute longer with a second fresher fixer. Usually you have to to that to 100TMX but I haven't had to do that ever with 400TX in my development process. It always comes out clean with regular fixing and a long wash.
05-11-2017, 07:57 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It always comes out clean with regular fixing and a long wash.
I did a roll of Tmax 400 in Ilford chemistry last night. I always do a prewash/warmup in water and dump that till it runs clean. The first time I used Ilford stuff (Ilfosol 3/rapid fix), the fix came out clean but i was pulling it to 200 (for the hell of it; don't ask me why). Last night the fixer I dumped was pink and I shot it at box speed. I did washes until it ran clean and the negatives look fine.

These are merely observations. I cannot explain why the altered ISO should alter the appearance of the fixative...

I should have kept it, as I have a roll of Fomapan 200 with which I could see whether the fixation powers were at all altered (following advice given here, I currently always cut the leader off and use it to determine clearing/fixing time).
05-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
The lady grey here either say made in USA or Czech Republic or EU, Kodak or Foma, you can tell from cassette code or it being missing....

---------- Post added 05-11-17 at 01:45 PM ----------

The package in U.K. shops has made in USA or EU and Dx code is different or absent!
What he said. I noticed just after I bought my last pack. I also noticed that the price had gone up €1 a roll, for what is probably inferior stuff. I've never used Fomapan 400 but it doesn't have a good reputation and I know it's not as fast as it claims to be. I bought 400 speed film because I wanted 400, not 250.

I don't have any of them to hand to check if they have DX coding on them or not.
05-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
... I bought 400 speed film because I wanted 400, not 250.
I have no experience with Ilfosol 3. But the brand and type of film developer will affect your film's speed. Some developers will develop to box speed for the manufacture's published development times. I'd guess that of all the developers you can get your hands on, more will not develop to box speed than that do.
05-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by conniption Quote
Much like Vancouver most of the year
400 ISO is summer film in Vancouver!

I'd go with any Kodak or Ilford 400 ISO film for your needs.

Phil.
05-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
But the brand and type of film developer will affect your film's speed.
I go with the Massive Development Chart for a first try on everything and work from there. I've just adopted a new agitation routine (I've gone from the stirring rod to actual inversions), which probably also affects things, and sometime in the next couple of nights I am going to scan them and find out exactly where things lie. The fact that I haven't had absolutely terrible results seems to indicate that the times it provides are about right.