Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&W film...

What's your favorite B&W film to use for portraits and/or street?

05-10-2017, 08:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by conniption Quote
You need to use 400ISO for street in U.K. we live in dark ages!
05-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
You need to use 400ISO for street in U.K. we live in dark ages!
Much like Vancouver most of the year
05-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Either Tri-X or TMax 400. I've never used Ilford, but that's also good stuff. Whatever their 400 ISO products are, I'm sure they're good. Main thing? Just get out there and shoot!

05-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Home developing or mailing it in? Pushing? Pulling? What's your chemistry if you do it at home?

I've used enough Tmax 400 to be comfortable with it and it's supposed to be able to be pushed 1 stop without an alteration of chemistry in stock D76.

Lomography's Earl Grey 100 and Lady Grey 400 give no worse results when I develop it myself (the bar is pretty low because of that, LOL), if you should stumble across it cheap.

Fomapan 200 seems to be OK if you want something a bit slower and cheaper, though I've only tried it in caffenol so far (with acceptable results for a first try).

I have a roll of TriX 400 but I haven't shot it yet. David Hancock on YouTube has a video entirely devoted to this film and his experiences with it, plus a few others. Check that out for more info.
05-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Lomography's Earl Grey 100 and Lady Grey 400 give no worse results when I develop it myself (the bar is pretty low because of that, LOL), if you should stumble across it cheap.
Last time I used them (2-3 years ago?), Earl Grey was Fomapan 100 & Lady Grey was T-Max 400.
05-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I like Fuji Neopan Acros 100, but I found that (in my experience) you have to be careful with exposure. It can get pretty contrasty if overexposed, which might not be that great for portraits. I want to try Agfa APX for portraits, it has that softer look that might be great specifically for portraits.

05-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Home developing or mailing it in? Pushing? Pulling? What's your chemistry if you do it at home?

I've used enough Tmax 400 to be comfortable with it and it's supposed to be able to be pushed 1 stop without an alteration of chemistry in stock D76.

Fomapan 200 seems to be OK if you want something a bit slower and cheaper, though I've only tried it in caffenol so far (with acceptable results for a first try).

I have a roll of TriX 400 but I haven't shot it yet. David Hancock on YouTube has a video entirely devoted to this film and his experiences with it, plus a few others. Check that out for more info.
Mailing it in. I'll give TMax a go. From what I've seen I like the grain. It's been a long time since I've shot film and I thought there might be something new and exciting on the shelves
05-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I like Ilford HP5+. I like the grain and contrast. Good for street shooting. It looks good at box speed and pushed up to +2 EV. Haven't gone any higher than that. I like it better than Delta 400. Haven't tried any of the Kodak 400 speed films; haven't felt the need to since I like HP5+ so much. I have tried Japan Camera Hunter StreetPan (JCH StreetPan). It's very contrasty. Also spendy, so I don't see myself using it much.

I'm currently experimenting with 100 speed films. I'm liking Delta 100 so far. I think it would be a good portrait BW film, but I haven't used it for that purpose yet. Next would be Kodak TMax 100, then Ilford FP4+. I have Fuji Acros loaded now and should finish the roll this week.

I use a local lab, Citizens Photo in Portland, Oregon.
05-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by conniption Quote
I have different favorite B&W films depending on many variables about the portrait or street photography. If I have flat light, then I'll go with a higher contrast film like Delta or TMax. If I have harsh, high contrast highlights and shadows, then I'll choose a lower contrast film with a greater dynamic range such as Tri-X or HP5+.

I also wouldn't use the same film for portraits and street work. With portraits, I prefer shallow depth-of-field and very little grain, so that means something slower like FP4+ or Plus-X. For the streets where I may need greater depth-of-field or faster shutter speeds, I'll sacrifice grain for a higher ISO.

Had to only use one for both? I'd opt for the Ilford XP2+ Super. Buttery smooth for portraits; extremely forgiving exposure latitude for highlights and shadows; have shot between ISO 100-1600 on the same roll (almost like Auto ISO) with acceptable results; scans beautifully; better to have a lower contrast neg that you can always increase contrast as the reverse is usually problematic.
05-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I use TMax400 and TriX400 135film. TMax400 and Ilford Fp4 120 film
05-10-2017, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Tri-X will give you great punchy 'classical' BW results, but I've come to like the cheap Ilford-made Kentmere 400 for both portraits and street. A couple of examples, developed in Rodinal 1+24 for 7 minutes:

05-10-2017, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #13

I like hp5.... Well haven't tried nothing else so far.
Have Double X loaded in the Spotmatic, will see
05-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have always liked the look of Tri-X. It's the pink negatives I can do without...

Chris
05-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have always liked the look of Tri-X. It's the pink negatives I can do without...

Chris
I have a similar issue with Tmax 400. I find a water pre-rinse gets rid of most of that; avid post-fix rinse gets rid of the rest.

I accidentally dumped the Ilford Rapid Fix tonight instead of saving it - stupid me, but I was tired. However, it was pink (even though the pre-rinse was not, when Iwas done with it) so perhaps I was better off not to trust it?

I love Ilford - so easy to mix up, I can spend my time getting a big beaker of water to 20 degrees by thermometer and then mix all the chemistry at the right temperature, rather than having to reheat the premixed D76 and Rapid Fix in a water bath.