Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #1

Pentax Super ME focus screen - is it toast?

I had a film SLR given to me by a friend, she claims to have ruined the focus screen.

The camera is a Pentax Super ME. It's light seal has turned into the disintegrative sticky tar crud and a speck got flicked up onto the focusing screen. Her arguably ridiculous solution was to pick it off with her finger. She candidly admitted she also used spit to smudge things around (believe me, I know).

Did some googling and AFAIK the screen being replaced would require careful disassembly, a parts camera with a good screen and likely some calibration I probably can't do. With that, the other option would probably be some sort of cleaning but I'm assuming the screen is toast. there is a camera repair shop nearby that I could go bug but I'm curious if this is even worth salvaging. The focusing circle is fine, but the smudges around it are pretty bad but shouldn't have any effect on the photos. Assuming it becomes a cool shelf decoration.

Anyways, cheers in advance.

05-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Most fouled screens can be successfully cleaned as part of a normal CLA (Clean, Lube, Adjust) service, though if scratched, those will marks will persist. As for whether the camera is worth salvaging, your repair shop should be able to assess its condition. Your ME Super was a full-featured camera in its day and is well-regarded by users on this site.

Steve
05-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Cheers and thanks for the reply! That gives me some hope. Aside from the violated focus screen and old foam seals, this may be the best condition SLR film camera I've ever had come into my possession. Now I have hope that it is fixable and will likely pay the price to have it fixed
05-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd try a bit of 95% isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab and see if the alcohol will remove the smudge. I'd avoid stronger solvents because they are more likely to dissolve the focusing screen.

05-16-2017, 01:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I'd try a bit of 95% isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab and see if the alcohol will remove the smudge. I'd avoid stronger solvents because they are more likely to dissolve the focusing screen.
I'd do that to but be gentle and plan on several hours working in from periphery of damage. Screen is like butterfly wing!
May need zippo fluid which is more risky.

Refoam yourself:...

Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions
05-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
I'd do that to but be gentle and plan on several hours working in from periphery of damage. Screen is like butterfly wing!
May need zippo fluid which is more risky.
Both are risky and isopropyl will likely not cut the goo. My camera tech uses a solution of water and dishwashing liquid with a final rinse in distilled water. Katz Eye recommended something similar while their site was still active (retrieved courtesy the "Wayback Machine" at archive.org):

About cleaning solutions:
cleaning - KatzEye Optics: Which Cleaning Fluids are Safe?
How to clean a filthy screen:
cleaning - KatzEye Optics: My Screen is Really Dirty

Steve

* RIP Katz Eye...gone and much lamented...
05-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I'd send it to Eric and get a professional Pentax repair.

05-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Both are risky and isopropyl will likely not cut the goo. My camera tech uses a solution of water and dishwashing liquid with a final rinse in distilled water. Katz Eye recommended something similar while their site was still active (retrieved courtesy the "Wayback Machine" at archive.org):

About cleaning solutions:
cleaning - KatzEye Optics: Which Cleaning Fluids are Safe?
How to clean a filthy screen:
cleaning - KatzEye Optics: My Screen is Really Dirty

Steve

* RIP Katz Eye...gone and much lamented...
It is easy when you remove it from camera I've left a scrap OM1 screen in methyated spirits overnight and after rinse under cold faucet was like new apart from physical abrasions.
If mirror light seal foam is sticky remove immediately!