Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Artifacts seen on film, scan and print

Hi All,
I have a new to me P30T and have just got my first roll of Superia 200 back from the lab.
Several shots exhibit an odd artifact, it's on the negative, not debris on the surface. The two shots below show the faults.
Is this a camera fault?
If so is there anything I can do to rectify it or will it always be unreliable?
Thanks for your inputs as always

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SP-3000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SP-3000  Photo 
05-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #2

Looks like hairs to me.
05-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Inspect your negatives with a loupe on a light table or magnifier with back light. Do you see the lint as white marks? What that means is that at the time of exposure, those pieces of lint or dust was in the camera, on the front facing side of the film, creating a shadow and preventing that part of the emulsion from exposure.

Check your mirror box and camera back for any debris or loose matter and carefully use a brush and/or rubber bulb blower to remove it. Also check the felt light trap edge of your film canister to make sure it isn't disintegrating or in some cases, the light sealing on the camera interior back edges.
05-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
spinno,
I fear you are right, but I also wondered if it was possible to damage the film in transporting through the camera?

Alex645,
Yes the negatives show white marks. I had loaded a new 24 exp film before I noticed this so I can't inspect the camera right now. I did when I got and it looked clean except for the rubber wind on spool which looked to have a little lint but I did not consider it at the time. The second shot is frame 16, so middle of the roll meaning there is a source being transported from the canister side I guess. The P30T has a film window and the foam looked and felt fine to touch. The back door is practically devoid of any seal material, just a little where the line changed direction from memory. I suppose this next film could be just like the first.

The question then is, shall I chuck the film?, it only cost £1 from the appropriately named 'Poundland' compared to the £10 for process, print and scan. I Might lose two or three to this condition, so not big deal in the scheme of things. I am only on shot 2 of the roll as well.
Thoughts???

05-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #5

If the film was being damaged by the camera this would show as a pair of parallel lines and would most likely be visible on all frames.
05-18-2017, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

If the camera is clean, check the film canisters. It may be the fuzzy light-seal material around where the film comes out of the canister that is degrading.
05-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rewind your current film taking care to leave the end of the film outside the canister. then you can clean the camera out. When you reload the film use a fast shutter speed; small aperture and keep the lens cap on. Leave yourself a shot or too leeway and you will be able to save the film.

05-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you are talking about the dirt/dust/particles then there is no way to get around it and is inherent in all frames of film. I am afraid that is not likely that there are any labs that conduct £10 for process, print and scan that runs a completely clean room so post processing will be your remedy.
05-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
Forum Member

There are sometimes soft felt or felt-like strips along edges inside the camera where film might rub against metal otherwise. These eventually get old & work, and when that happens the can "shed" hairs like that. (I've seen it in my 1965 Canon Pellix QL before.)
Having someone replace those AND thoroughly clean the camera might be in order. If those start to shed, they can get into anything that is in the same compartment as the film transport.
Sometimes some of the light-seals around the door for loading the film, and some pieces that support the curtains can also do this from age.. same thing, have a GOOD repair person replace them with fresh materials, and clean the insides of the camera thoroughly.
05-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies. I will remove the film tomorrow and have a good look at the seals and attempt to clean it, if I can see anything. The body was too cheap to want to have it professionally cleaned, I'll see how I get on and take a shot of it with the back open.
While I quite like the manual focus with a split screen and the process of using film, it really makes me appreciate digital even more, especially my K-50.
When I got the camera I thought it had no seals at all, but googled some P30T images with the back open and saw those were the same. I will investigate some more.....
05-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It could be dust/hair/dirt on the scanner too
05-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whoever thought dust on the sensor would be better than dust on film? It is usually in the same place on the sensor!

Generally, I go by the concept, if the dust marks are black, they occurred when the image was taken (blocks light on the film, reverses to black in developing process). However, with the scanner, it is possible it could also be picking up dust then, but I think the dust would not be so defined. As Alex suggest, inspect the film with a loupe before scanning. I bet it will be seen there. If so, trace it back into the camera. Are you using reloaded film canisters? As photoptimist suggests, it may be light trap lint.

Regards,
05-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Light trap lint would have been long since washed away during the process of developing. However, new particles are introduced in the process and handling (rolling, cutting, scanning, sleeving, etc.) and those will now be greatly magnified. The higher resolution the scan - or pixel zoomed in, the more obvious they become. Lab scanners have no ICE (dust and scratch removal) and some scanners are not as effective as others. For true drum scans, the frame of film is thoroughly cleaned and oil mounted which is part of the cost. Even in making your own darkroom prints you always have to spot the final print. You can look at it like the flaw in the diamond, it makes it natural instead of man-made . . .
05-19-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
Forum Member

light trap lint

They only had to be there when an image was created on the film. No amount of washing would expose the unexposed part of film that the lint covered when the shot was taken, unfortunately. I've many times wished it would!

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Light trap lint would have been long since washed away during the process of developing.
05-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
The film only cost £1 from the appropriately named 'Poundland
This could be a contributory factor - film sold at this low price is unlikely to have undergone the same rigorous quality checks that companies such as I or K use - may try a more expensive roll next time, just to make sure ?