Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #1

Pentax P30 film loading issues

Hey there,

I'm new to film camera's, and got my dad's old Pentax P30 which he found recently, and I was interested in getting into it for sure.

Now the trouble I'm running into when loading the film, is that it won't catch onto the sprocket teeth properly without me applying pressure, and once it's on the spool teeth, when I try to advance the film so it's ready for use, the spool doesn't rotate whatsoever.

This is very annoying, as I do not exactly know what's wrong with the advancing system, and I'm sure as heck that it's not normal for the film not to properly hold onto the teeth of both the sprocket and the spool..

If anyone has tips regarding my issue, I'd love to hear them.

Attached Images

05-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you're supposed to do with these cameras is draw the leader across till its end is somewhere within that red bar you see on the bottom of the takeup spool. Then close the film back. Then wind on. If you see the film rewind knob rotating anticlockwise as you do so, everything's fine; go ahead and shoot.
05-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
I tried that, but it's not properly locking onto the spool as far as I'm concerned.

---------- Post added 05-19-17 at 03:37 PM ----------

Just did it again, and it's rotating like it should, time to hope for the best!
05-19-2017, 10:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A strange aspect of these easy load cameras is if you try to do something to help it load it will fail.

05-20-2017, 12:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm always suspicious of this type of loading (though I've never had a problem) and make sure that the film is perfectly aligned with the little ridges on the take-up spool before closing the back. I prefer the "magic needles" system of the older Pentaxes as I can see that it's definitely properly engaged before I close the back.

Anyway, once I've taken couple of dark shots to wind the new film on, I always gently test the rewind lever in reverse to make sure the film is properly loaded.
05-20-2017, 05:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two things here that interest me.

1, The wind on roller could do with a clean, run some tape off a lint roller through it see this thread:
Artifacts seen on film, scan and print - PentaxForums.com

2, In the photo, your body has seal material top and bottom . My P30T has none yet still works. Not wishing to hijack your thread but it's an interesting find.

The manual says to ensure the end of the film is within the red zone, I found that you need to make sure the film canister is in and flat with the back - not rotated round a bit otherwise the film wants to come off the teeth of the winder.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
05-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
Welp, no luck. It just stopped spooling and working in general after 18 shots. I have no clue what's wrong.

05-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #8

Original Poster
Checking in further, the film seems to still advance, but the winder doesn't rotate when cocking.
05-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If the cocking seems slack and without resistance you've jumped or stripped the winding gears (I had this happen to a P30T).

Rewind the film, save what you can, and find somewhere to get it serviced. Your profile states you are in the Netherlands so I can't help you on the question of where to send it, I'm afraid.
05-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
I've fooled around rotating the lever clockwise for a good 5 minutes, after a while it started to click during every full turn, it sounded like a very dull thud.

I'll have to rewind the film by hand, which will be somewhat easy considering we have a dark room in the house. I'll post pictures of the winding section when I can!

(I myself have found a few addresses that might do servicing, but is it really worth it for a camera like this one? I assume not.)
05-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rzlnt Quote
I've fooled around rotating the lever clockwise for a good 5 minutes, after a while it started to click during every full turn, it sounded like a very dull thud.

I'll have to rewind the film by hand, which will be somewhat easy considering we have a dark room in the house. I'll post pictures of the winding section when I can!

(I myself have found a few addresses that might do servicing, but is it really worth it for a camera like this one? I assume not.)
Technically not, but this is your dad's old camera. How big a price do you put on sentiment?
05-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Technically not, but this is your dad's old camera. How big a price do you put on sentiment?
It's definitely not like I would bin it, that's one thing. I'll have to check in with some stores to see how much itd cost me, or whether I could possibly do it myself even.
05-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
Turns out the film tore somehow, it tore in the middle of the last frame I took, which was 10 minutes ago to test if it was still winding the film on the spool.

I went into our darkroom to unload the film, and when I noticed I put the tore film in a different container, which is completely black, and I stuffed it in another black case I have laying around. (Also taped it off just to be safe).

Any way I can still take this to someone who can develop it for me?
05-23-2017, 02:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rzlnt Quote
Turns out the film tore somehow, it tore in the middle of the last frame I took, which was 10 minutes ago to test if it was still winding the film on the spool.

I went into our darkroom to unload the film, and when I noticed I put the tore film in a different container, which is completely black, and I stuffed it in another black case I have laying around. (Also taped it off just to be safe).

Any way I can still take this to someone who can develop it for me?
Yes but warn them there is a film tear they may need to process it in an individual tank.

You camera seems to have double light seals and not need foam.

Get the kit for home processing normally free from photo club.

Ilford have just trashed their web site but try this instead.
Developing Black and White Film at Home: 13 Steps (with Pictures)
05-23-2017, 03:09 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Yes but warn them there is a film tear they may need to process it in an individual tank.

You camera seems to have double light seals and not need foam.

Get the kit for home processing normally free from photo club.

Ilford have just trashed their web site but try this instead.
Developing Black and White Film at Home: 13 Steps (with Pictures)
I called the store that still develops with a 1 hour policy, they said they'd have to look at the tear first of all, which is understandable as they have ran into issues before.
Now the strange thing, I have this roll of "test film" laying about, to test the camera and such, and on this roll it rewound without any problems whatsoever, and actually stopped on the 36th shot.
(could this be because the film release button is such a loose thing on the bottom of the camera?)