Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2017, 05:07 AM   #1

MX Meter

Can someone please confirm how the MX exposure meter should react, the manual says that pulling out the winder lever and half depressing the shutter release button tuens on the meter.

So I take it that the winder lever needs to be out AND the shutter depressed before I see any lights, is that correct ?

But I am getting lights on when the shutter is depressed regardless of the position of the winder lever, however the lights only stay on after I let go of the shutter release if the winder leaver is out, if the winder lever is in, the lights go out as soon as I let go of the shutter release.

Is this correct or not ? How is it supposed to work ?

05-20-2017, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The MX meter will be on whenever the shutter button is pressed halfway. Releasing the button will turn it off. If you pull the film advance lever to the 20 degree position you can turn the meter on with the shutter button and it will stay on when you release the half press of shutter button.

Sounds like your MX is behaving exactly as it should.
05-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ah right that's good ! Many thanks for confirming that, I was not quite sure as the manual was a big vague.

Is that the case for most Pentax SLR's or do they differ ?
05-20-2017, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's worth noting the MX's other mode - the shutter release has an on-off/lock switch, which turns everything off absolutely.

Each has its own peculiarities. One of them (I think either the KX or the KM was the offender) had to have the film advance lever flipped out to function at all, which was not good for left-eye users (my Ricoh XR-1 has the same arrangement). The Spotmatic F and K1000 are "on" whenever the lens cap is off (so basically they need a critical amount of light to activate the meter). The remaining manual Spotmatics are "on" whenever the DOF preview/meter switch on the left side of the lens housing is engaged (I don't know what the ES series do).

The ME, being almost completely electronic, has a definite "off"/lock position, and I believe the meter is also out of circuit whenever Bulb or X-sync positions are selected. After the M series, the cameras were almost entirely electronic (except for the faster-than-X-sync speeds on the LX) and AFAIK all have definite off switches.

05-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks yes, the lock is stopping the shutter release and meter coming on so I assume thats correct ! I will be paying more attention now to the others to see what they do !