Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #1

Pentax k1000 : having trouble with spool!!

My spool doesn't seem to be "latching" onto film correctly. Whenever I try to load it film and then advance, my film seems to slip and get loose. It twists around the spool sort of lopsided. Any tips??

05-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Have you tried it this way...

While fresh roll is properly seated
extend the leader so it is a little longer than you need (that is when you pull the film straight across until it slightly extends past the door hinge
align the spool slot until it is facing at you and push the leader tip in and you should have an arc of film
don't let the film mesh with sprocket yet
give it a crank and let the film find the right tension around takeup spool and as the arc of film start to film up against the sprocket
guide it a little as the takeup get a full turn and a half and the arc of film is taught
now close the back
you should feel the tension evenly pay along
the rewinding knob may be spinning too

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mysteryonionpatch/34621206162/in/dateposted/

If it goes wrong you'll see the arc of film not catch with sprocket and skip...a sign the advance gear is not full in gear.

hope this makes sense.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 05-20-2017 at 02:57 PM.
05-21-2017, 04:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There is very little friction in any of my spools!

I'd note it varies with film type Foma is thin and more difficult thereby, not tried any PET.

Last edited by Xmas; 05-21-2017 at 08:16 AM.
05-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
The spool should have low friction and the sprocket does all the paying out of film the spool need only turn to wrap it up.
The spool should have a slight gritty friction to it if you move it slowly and if not, the part is too worn.