Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have a K2 and an Ricoh XR-2s, of the two cameras with basiclly the same features, the K2 is built like a brick, but the XR-2s is far more enjoyable and easy to use. This weekend on my trip around Lakes Erie and Ontario, I have my Fresh from Eric KX and the XR-2s. The K2 that was in the box with the KX stayed home.
Also the Ricoh has a much beter positioned judas windows than the KX

05-28-2017, 12:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I have two K2s and one K2 DMD. The DMD works well and is one of my favourite Pentax bodies, though I haven't owned it for very long.

The other two K2s suffer from gummed-up insides syndrome and need a thorough CLA to fix, so my impression is that this problem is very common with K2s. The DMD works very smoothly, including the ISO ring, which makes me think it has had a CLA in the not too distant past.

Someone on the forum had the electronics in a K2 fail completely recently but that's the only time I've read of it happening, so I can't really draw any conclusions about how common it is.

Overall, if you can check it's working or you're willing to pay for the expensive CLA, then a K2 is a camera I'd certainly recommend.
05-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kneemeister Quote
I have a K2 and an Ricoh XR-2s, of the two cameras with basiclly the same features, the K2 is built like a brick, but the XR-2s is far more enjoyable and easy to use. This weekend on my trip around Lakes Erie and Ontario, I have my Fresh from Eric KX and the XR-2s. The K2 that was in the box with the KX stayed home.
Also the Ricoh has a much beter positioned judas windows than the KX
After bragging up the XR-2s last night it died today while Taking pictures of two Salties, passing on the St. Lawarance River just below the 1000 Islands. i stoped at walmart tonight and got two new 357 batteries, and the mirror is still locked up. That is the problem with Ricohs when they work they are slightly better than there equilivant Pentax. But just try to find anyone to fix them if they quit. Hopefully when I get home I can clean the contacts and it will start working again. Lucky for me I brought along my "new" Chinon CP-5 that arrived on Wednesday just in case so I still had a black and white film body. The KX is loaded with Ektar. Seems like everytime I go on a trip, my KSX-P, CP-7M and now the CP-5 save the day.
05-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Someone on the forum had the electronics in a K2 fail completely recently but that's the only time I've read of it happening, so I can't really draw any conclusions about how common it is.
Quite probably me. I've been meaning to send it in to Eric to see if it's just a loose wire or something.

As for my experience with the K2 in general: my Lightroom tags show that it's my most used film camera, and I bought a second one — so that should give an answer.

05-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started with Pentax via Sears and Ricoh (same) models. I liked the features
very much, but they didn't hold up as well as Pentax bodies I have used since.
Eric once mentioned they don't seem to be as well-made. Lucky for Pentax film
camera users we have Eric Hendrickson. His service is one reason I use Pentax.

Chris
05-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #21
Forum Member

Yeah I tried to take apart a XR-7 once, The electronics were very fragle. Like you, I started with a KS Super and went on to a KR-30sp, never owned a Pentax until the Ricoh got salt water damaged and I replaced it with a P30t. The Chinons apear even cheaper on the outside, but they just work. The more I use my CP-5 and KSX-P, the more I like them, they sorta fit between the Super Program and XR-P in features., and actually pass them in the ability to do program mode with any K lens and work with cheap AA batteries. And with my bad eye I find the viewfinder info on the left instead of the right just easier to read. For Manual mode I will still stick with the MX and KX.
I feel that Pentax went overboard in the transition from the ES II to the K2, I just really enjoy using my ES II, The K2 is just too qwirky.