Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Experiences with the Asahi Pentax K2

Ok, I'm dealing with camera GAS at the moment, I'm curious in the K2, I already own a pair of KX's, both amazing cameras. The big question with the K2 aside from a different shutter and ergonomics which is obvious, how reliable is the camera's electronics?

05-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I am very much in the minority here, but the K2 was my favorite of all the manual focus K mount cameras. Mine had an issue with the aperture arm follower (I think a common issue with older K mount cameras that have seen lots of use), but the metering and autoexposure worked perfectly.
I think that the K2 is one of the more reliable electronic K mount bodies (manual focus), as long as the ISO dial is working properly.
05-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I think I am very much in the minority here, but the K2 was my favorite of all the manual focus K mount cameras. Mine had an issue with the aperture arm follower (I think a common issue with older K mount cameras that have seen lots of use), but the metering and autoexposure worked perfectly.
I think that the K2 is one of the more reliable electronic K mount bodies (manual focus), as long as the ISO dial is working properly.
I wish they were easier to find with split focusing screens. My KX and KM both have only microprisms, which I find can be difficult to focus well in lower lighting conditions.
05-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I wish they were easier to find with split focusing screens. My KX and KM both have only microprisms, which I find can be difficult to focus well in lower lighting conditions.
I actually prefer the matte/microprism screen in my K2. I had a few KX with split prism screens and didn't really like them.
I find that split prisms seem to give me more focusing errors.
My Hasselblad has a $300 Beattie Intenscreen with grids and split prism, and my 1955 Rolleiflex has its original ground glass, and usually find the Rolleiflex easier and more accurate to focus.

05-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I actually prefer the matte/microprism screen in my K2. I had a few KX with split prism screens and didn't really like them.
I find that split prisms seem to give me more focusing errors.
My Hasselblad has a $300 Beattie Intenscreen with grids and split prism, and my 1955 Rolleiflex has its original ground glass, and usually find the Rolleiflex easier and more accurate to focus.
Interesting. When shooting well-lit scenes, I find the microprism easy to focus, but I shoot a lot of my kids. Light starts getting dim indoors and in the evenings pretty quickly. More practice I suppose. I need to find a different screen for my 645n since I don't own an AF lens for it.
05-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer a microprism focusing aid, though I sometimes find them difficult to use with wide angle lenses.

Chris
05-26-2017, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I prefer a microprism focusing aid, though I sometimes find them difficult to use with wide angle lenses.

Chris
Agreed... focusing wide-angle lenses on SLRs can be tricky at the best of times. I eventually learned to use a combination of through the finder and scale focus...

05-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #8
Forum Member

I hear you, I'm also suffering from GAS, a K2, KX and 2 Nikon's in the past couple months. My Nikon's have split prisms and I've found I don't like them that much. My K2 is still working flawlessly and I really like it. To tell the truth I was expecting breakdowns of all sorts.
I get the feeling they're like cars, let them sit unused and the gremlins come out. Use them regularly and all's well.
05-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wbsmith200 Quote
The big question with the K2 aside from a different shutter and ergonomics which is obvious, how reliable is the camera's electronics?
I've got six K2/K2DMD bodies, four of which I use. Only one electronic issue so far and that's when I first tested one of my K2DMD's. The "auto" shutter speed was not working and all the shots were blank. Eric fixed the issue during its CLA.

If you like the K2 then you will like the DMD version even better.

Phil.
05-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The K2 is currently my favorite, but I go back and forth between the K2 and the KX. If I can find a black KX with split-prism, it will be my favorite for a while...
05-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the K2 also. A thing to know is you can't change the ISO/ASA when the camera is in exposure compensation. Many people think they have a problem when it is just the exposure compensation.
05-27-2017, 12:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never warmed up to my K2. It's the last Pentax body I'll grab.
That said I am on the lookout for a nice K2DMD.

Chris
05-27-2017, 06:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
The K2 is currently my favorite, but I go back and forth between the K2 and the KX. If I can find a black KX with split-prism, it will be my favorite for a while...
I'd love to find a black KX/KM. Purely cosmetic, but I love the look on my LX.
05-27-2017, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I love my K2. Well balanced and handles nicely. The DOF preview is the primary reason for my acquiring it and it was a better price than the KX.in the used camera market. Took a bit to get used to the ASA setting, but it's likely the least used adjustment on the camera, so it's OK by me. Sent mine off to Eric to resolve an aperture linkage issue and he installed a split-prism finder for me as part of his CLA. This is my go-to manual film camera.

Last edited by ripper2860; 05-27-2017 at 09:02 AM.
05-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I'd love to find a black KX/KM. Purely cosmetic, but I love the look on my LX.

I got a heavily brassed black KX and I love it.