Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
? film washed out ?

Hi folks,
A few may remember me asking about old film and what happens..Anyway, a friend gave me a roll of Kodak Gold 200 ISO
that had expired in 2004...Anyway, I got the film back and many are just awful..Of the 24, only about 3 maybe 4 are ok at best..
Here are some random samples...What are your thoughts?

Is it the old film, or did I screw up?

08-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Were the negs themselves "thin"?

Did you use a 1hr service, i ask because their channels are setup for very basic printing and usually for "current" film, also although standards are there, they're not always done correctly.

Just some other things to consider but mostly starting at the C41 stage, prints #4 and #5 seem good, either the printer doesn't know how to correct for the images/scenes or you were underexposed when metering?
08-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh for reference, here is a picture my Son took on the same trip with a different roll of film..

08-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

My understanding is that you will get color shifts in film, usually 1-2 years after it's expiration date. I still have all of mine in the refrigerator to ensure longevity after it expires, just as a reference.

Regards,
Marc

08-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Were the negs themselves "thin"?

Did you use a 1hr service, i ask because their channels are setup for very basic printing and usually for "current" film, also although standards are there, they're not always done correctly.

Just some other things to consider but mostly starting at the C41 stage, prints #4 and #5 seem good, either the printer doesn't know how to correct for the images/scenes or you were underexposed when metering?
I did take it to a one hour lab and do not know what they did or did not do. That #4 and #5 image are some that came out ok, but most did not.
08-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
My understanding is that you will get color shifts in film, usually 1-2 years after it's expiration date. I still have all of mine in the refrigerator to ensure longevity after it expires, just as a reference.

Regards,
Marc
Thanks Marc, I have about twenty or so rolls in the fridge myself even though it is all current. This was one of those deals, where I shot this old film more out of curiosity. I did ask him if it was in the fridge and he said, ''Fridge?'' So that answered my question
08-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Thanks Marc, I have about twenty or so rolls in the fridge myself even though it is all current. This was one of those deals, where I shot this old film more out of curiosity. I did ask him if it was in the fridge and he said, ''Fridge?'' So that answered my question
Nice... that's funny...
08-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that looks about right for expired color film, specially when the scanning software tries to compensate.
I think that if you scan the negs yourself you'll see color shifts in at least 1 direction for interesting effects

08-15-2008, 06:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You can also try to fatten up thin negatives - in ps, dup the image and blend in multiply, adjust the opacity to suit, you may want to also apply levels or curves after the blend. This deepens the colors as well as overall thickens things up.

I discovered also what titrisol says is true - using expired 120 film and the epson software, there were color shifts... but using vuescan the scans come out true. With minilab scans, as I've related before, my experience is that the noritsus CVS/Duane Reed use the scans tend to come out thin - sort of like your samples - even with fresh film, while the MotoPhoto Agfa machine produces perhaps over saturated scans. If I'm lazy I just adjust for that in ps.
08-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
They may have been refrigerated for a while, but at some point that film was left in a nice warm environment for long enough to age/heat damage it.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 08-15-2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling
08-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Are the negs "thin" overall if so, it's the lab, if not it's still the lab

If you have a simple scanner for your PC scan it yourself and see what you get from the underexposed negs. I don't think it's the film "consumer" rated films even in severe conditions still can print out a lot better than what you posted and i highly doubt it's you as i've seen a lot of your work since i've been lurking here and yes my screen is calibrated properly.
08-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Sorry for hijacking Javi... but just a little thanks for posting LA Zoo pictures.

My wife and I used to do computer consulting for them. Connected those ticket offices in the front with the database servers about three hundred yards away for one thing... did a huge amount of networking and database work for them. That gig lasted about 4 years. We came to really love that place.

woof!
08-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Woof, no problem.
Yes, I love the place. We have been members there for many, many years. I go there often and often times with out a camera...The people there are great and friendly. This past week we went on an evening tour open to members only and we got to see wild bats...I think I got some good pictures, will know when I get the film back. The only thing I wish I could see there that I have never seen are the Condors...from what I hear, there are only seen twice a year by humans, so I don't know.