Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Who/Where to Process B&W Film?

I recently decided to get back into film in order to try something different and retro. As background, I had a B&W darkroom until moving in the early 1980's, when I sold it and went to color film and slides. My B&W was primarily country band 8X10 photos. After that was just usual family, hobby and travel snapshots. Went to digital in about 2000. Recently picked up a K1000 and a few lenses; the camera is at Erick's getting an overhaul due to a bad prism (fleabay from KEH, another story). Found I still had a decent lightmeter. I decided to really go back to basics.

To give you an Idea of my era in photography, my first 35mm was a Leica IIIf Red Dial w/50mm Elmar, which were still in production at the time. Before that was a Voightlander 120 folder.

Anyhow dug out an old Nikon 6006, got a battery and a bunch of Ilford 400 and shot a couple of rolls. Took them to Walgreens several weeks ago. Just got a call that they don't process B&W; duh! Checked with CVS and it seems like they handle B&W via a central site. Wondering if anyone has experience with them or with Walmart who also seems to do B&W?

I don't care about negatives or prints as I can digitally deal with the latter. Not interested in fine art, just mostly snapshots to be shared online and handed around. Don't want to process and scan negatives myself.

Just looking for advice on who to use for this simple stuff. Ideas appreciated.

Church Key

05-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #2

You can send them out for processing such as Welcome to the ILFORD Lab Direct website - ILFORD Lab Direct Home Page there are others as well, or google for a local independent film shop. Good luck. Most can scan to a CD.
05-30-2017, 10:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Emulsive has a crowd-sourced map: The EMULSIVE Global Film Lab Map | Articles | EMULSIVE

I use a couple of local labs: Citizens Photo and Blue Moon. Both do mail order and scans (CD or cloud-based file transfer).
05-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd add that perhaps just like your darkroom work you didn't always make your prints on a neutral grey, glossy RC paper, right? You might have done a warm-tone fiberbase paper or something too.

If so, you might want to be interested in the digital file they give you. You might want to apply a tone to your images now and then similar to your printing.

05-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Easier buying tank, dark bag, ... don't need dark room, allows bulk loading if you get bulk loader.
06-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I use Indie Photo Lab here in Philly. They develop, scan, print, etc. just about anything. I get them to develop, scan, and then upload to dropbox, so it's ultra convenient.

Indie Photo Lab
06-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would suggest checking out Dwayne's Photo: Black and white film processing/developing and printing - Dwayne's Photo Service - Parsons, Kansas

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 10:13 PM ----------

Also, there's this site that lists different photo labs that develop film: Photo Labs and Darkrooms ? I shoot film.

06-04-2017, 06:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used Ilford Labs quite a lot in the last couple of years. I like their service. The scanning resolution is quite low - 13 mp.

This year I discovered Mein Film Lab. They are located in Germany. They offer higher scanning resolution and more flexibility. The prices are also higher.

The Darkroom is another lab I used (located in the USA) , but only for colour film. They scan up to 30 mp, but only in jpg.
06-04-2017, 08:39 AM   #9
Forum Member

Isnt Ilford labs and the Darkroom the same lab? They both have San Clemente addresses, and other simularities, order forms, mailers etc. I send everyting to the Darkroom, and choose the Medium sized scan.
06-04-2017, 09:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ilford Labs are located in the UK. Ilford lab direct
Harman technology Ltd
Ilford way
Mobberley
Cheshire
WA16 7JL, UK
06-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
Forum Member

They also have a US Lab, click the us/canada tab at the top of the website...That one is a San Clemente CA address.
https://www.ilfordlab-us.com
See this discussion over on Apug.org
http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/ilford-lab-direct-branching-out-...canada.106295/

Last edited by kneemeister; 06-04-2017 at 10:58 AM.
06-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I forgot that I split my processing between two Walgreens. One returned the roll as their lab kicked it back. The second got prints and negs back after 3 weeks. The issue is I wanted digital files. The prints came out very flat, with crappy contrast. The returned roll is at CVS. I'll see how it comes out. Meanwhile, I'll try my K1000 and some custom labs as I really want decent digital files.

Church Key
06-13-2017, 12:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You can try ilford XP2 in local mini lab @400 or 200 the prints will be toned and scans 3colour but quick and convient.

The negs superlative unless lab scratches.
08-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I settled on The Darkroom in LA. Have had them process a couple of rolls of Iliford HP5 Plus 400 and they came out fine. Sent the last roll on 8/9 and got the results today (8/16). They upload the pics and also mail back a CD and the negs. A roll of 36 with a medium scan costs $21 including shipping both ways. I am very pleased with the results. Tried to post a pic, but this site has a 1MB max and these are about 5MB. Too lazy to fiddle with it.

Church Key
08-17-2017, 01:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Church Key Quote
A roll of 36 with a medium scan costs $21 including shipping both ways.

Church Key
That sounds quite expensive to me. If you are in it for the long run, it might be better to buy a changing bag, tank and a scanner.