Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Thoughts on Pentax Super Program Kit

Hi, Team,

I recently bought a Pentax k1000 including the 50mm f/2 for $50. I love it! I love its simplicity, although I do see how I would benefit from DoF preview, a shutter lock, etc.

I just saw listed on CL a Pentax Super Program including the 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.8, and 100 - 300mm f/5.6. The seller agreed on a price of $65 for everything. He's told me theres no fungus, scratches or any major issues with the system.

Is this as much of a no-brainer as it appears to be? If I love the Program more than the k1000 I'll either sell the k1000 or give it to my girlfriend.

Let me know what you think - i'm really after that glass.

06-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Femto1969 Quote
Is this as much of a no-brainer as it appears to be?
Yes, this is a decent deal if the lenses are in good+ condition. If it is working, the camera will likely need new foam seals and mirror bumper. A Pentax-A 50/1.7 is worth between $40 and $65 depending on condition and whether the aperture ring is fully functional.* A Pentax-A 28/2.8 is worth between $25 and $35 (ditto for Pentax-M). A Super Program body value is variable. I paid $45 for mine in Ex+ condition (needing seals).

Steve

* The Pentax-A 50/1.7 is of plastic construction and the aperture ring has has well-known fault where part of the detent mechanism fails. The result is a ring that cannot be easily moved. Most (all) either suffer from this problem or will fail in the future.
06-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #3

I have both of those cameras -- You will find that the Super Program is lighter, and smaller than the K1000. I thought I'd use the DoF preview a lot, but I didn't. Nice to have, though. Never did use the shutter lock. I did like the TTL flash metering, if you get the right flash that will sync with it. The lenses alone are worth that -- if all is well that appears to be a good price.

My brother-in-law hiked to Mt. Everest base camp in the 90s and only his K1000 was able to take pictures - the auto-everything machines just packed it in!

I say go for it - and the glass will be useable on the K1000 anyway.
06-07-2017, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
My thoughts exactly. The seller apparently is a camera repair guy and told me that he ran a few rolls in in a year ago and there did not appear to be any light leaks. The photos of the lenses appear pristine as well. Turns out he also provides darkroom lessons and lives close by so I think I just found a new buddy!

06-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Femto1969 Quote
Hi, Team,

I recently bought a Pentax k1000 including the 50mm f/2 for $50. I love it! I love its simplicity, although I do see how I would benefit from DoF preview, a shutter lock, etc.

I just saw listed on CL a Pentax Super Program including the 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.8, and 100 - 300mm f/5.6. The seller agreed on a price of $65 for everything. He's told me theres no fungus, scratches or any major issues with the system.

Is this as much of a no-brainer as it appears to be? If I love the Program more than the k1000 I'll either sell the k1000 or give it to my girlfriend.

Let me know what you think - i'm really after that glass.
On CL? I just saw a similar (same?) bundle on eBay. Starting bid at $35.
06-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
On CL? I just saw a similar (same?) bundle on eBay. Starting bid at $35.
I bet it's the same one - he told me it's listed on Ebay too.
06-08-2017, 01:53 AM   #7

If it is the same one note that the zoom lens is a Hoya lens, not Pentax. It has a silver aperture ring/mount which usually means Canon or Olympus mount. The 28mm lens is M, not A series.

06-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If it is the same one note that the zoom lens is a Hoya lens, not Pentax. It has a silver aperture ring/mount which usually means Canon or Olympus mount. The 28mm lens is M, not A series.
Hmm, good catch. I still haven't closed on the deal. I'll have to inquire about that.