Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2017, 06:20 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The only logical choice, as while the camera is powered, you have open-aperture metering. When it's not, then you're back in Sunny 16 land but at least with a full set of shutter speeds unequivocally available (something I'm not sure any of the ES models offer).
The ESII provided 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500 and 1/1000s mechanical shutter speeds. From memory, I think the ES did, too, but it's a long time since I had one.

06-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
One Pentax (Pentax only) film camera is what you are allowed to keep and use for the rest of your days.
One single (of any supported or adapted mount) lens is what you are allowed to mount to that camera.

Which will it be? You may only keep one. Make your choice.

**EDIT - this isn't limited to what you currently have, but it is limited to a real-world scenario. E.g. The eventual faults each camera has will eventually occur. This is not a perfect-world hypothetical in which your favorite camera works forever. This is "choose one and live with it in the real world".

Should my choice of one and only film camera develop a fault that meant that I could not use it, I would seriously consider having it fixed.
More likely, I would say bye bye to film cameras and go digital.

06-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Should my choice of one and only film camera develop a fault that meant that I could not use it, I would seriously consider having it fixed.

That's fine - you should have your druthers and in that case just give it to me and I'll have it fixed and tow the line for us both.

---------- Post added 06-09-17 at 09:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
From cameras I own? MZ-S with FA43/1.9

I'm also keeping my 645N with manual focus 75mm because its medium format and doesn't count.
Medium format counts. Pick one.
(and that combo would be in my short-list for certain... one of my most used combos in fact)
06-09-2017, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote

That would not be an option I'd consider. I'd more likely give up photography.

Chris

06-10-2017, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Medium format counts. Pick one.
(and that combo would be in my short-list for certain... one of my most used combos in fact)
645N & A-75mm for sure.
06-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
That would not be an option I'd consider. I'd more likely give up photography.
As long as there is film, or even photo paper, you can always make pinhole cameras once the last film camera is dead.

My long-term plan is having Eric CLA a few camera bodies, and using each of them in rotation.
06-10-2017, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
My long-term plan is having Eric CLA a few camera bodies, and using each of them in rotation.
Get it done before he retires, and remember to exercise the ones that aren't being used (at least once a month, pop batteries in as appropriate, fire them at all shutter speeds, and make sure all the needles twitch and the mirror moves etc. etc.)

06-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like some other members I have several Pentax KX bodies, three now.
Its SPD meter is superb and I like the full exposure information analog display.

However sometimes I prefer the simplicity of the Pentax KM. It has "less to break".
The K1000 is simpler still, but I can't bring myself to use an SLR without DOF preview.
Interestingly I don't bemoan the lack of DOF preview on my viewfinder type cameras.

I agree; for long-term use get one or more Pentax mechanical cameras.
Get them serviced by Eric NOW. He won't be repairing them forever...

Chris
06-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would stick with MX I bought in 1978, with its M50/1.7
I have equal regard for the KX and love all the manual Pentax cameras, but there was only one choice given.
06-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Never having shot film, the last thread of this I said the MX and M40/2.8 pancake for all-round, compact, manual goodness.

This time I think I'll go up and choose the Pentax 67ii with the SMC Pentax 67 55mm F4 for my current love of landscape photos.
06-11-2017, 12:52 AM   #56
Veteran Member

The camera I don't have to think of too much: Pentax MX! Was my first camera, won't part with it forever. As a matter of fact, this post is timely, because as we speak it is in for a CLA. Can't wait to get it back.

As for lenses: boy, that is hard. Would you have given us the option to choose two or three, then I would definitely have chosen 24-50 f/4 (either of the M, A or F version will do for me), 43 LTD and A 70-210.) Swap the LTD for the 50 f/1.4 and that is how I did a lot of journeys (never had the 43 LTD - maybe one day...)
Given that we only can choose one, I'd go for the nifty fifty f/1.4 of f/1.7 (f/1.2 if I am allowed to dream.)
06-11-2017, 01:32 AM   #57

Spotmatic F + 55/1.8.

This was my first ever SLR, bought in 1974 or 75. Bargain priced in combo with the 55, a 35 and a 135. It was cheaply priced due to the just released K-cameras. Despite having too many Pentax cameras, the SPF is still my most frequently used 35mm camera and would be my single keeper if forced to.
And if only one lens allowed the 55mm is my winner.
06-11-2017, 03:42 AM   #58
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
You May Only Keep One
Easy, for me it would be... one of my LX bodies plus my "Special Lady” (Pentax-A 50mm F1.2).
06-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Easy, for me it would be... one of my LX bodies plus my "Special Lady” (Pentax-A 50mm F1.2).
That's a fine choice indeed. I've an LX and M 50/1.2.... Certainly on the short-list. I chose my MX with FA31, but it's a close call.
Tempted by a 50 hugely - I like the wider 35-28-ish range overall, but shooting both-eyes-open on an MX or LX is hard to beat for joy of use.
06-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #60
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
That's a fine choice indeed
Thank you.

but shooting both-eyes-open on an MX or LX is hard to beat for joy of use.
It just suits my style of photography and I know I would be able to work with this combo in most situations.