Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ZX-L film advance problem

I'm having a problem with my ZX-L. Sometimes it does not advance the film all the way, so I get some frame overlap/double exposure at the edges of the frames. Other times it will advance too far, leaving a big black space. It only does it for a few frames- most of the time it advances the film the proper amount.

Of the two rolls i just shot this week, the first roll it advanced too far on one frame then not enough on another towards the beginning of the roll, and then the rest of the roll was fine. The second roll was just fine. It doesn't seem to matter which part of the roll I'm on (beginning, middle, or end).

Any ideas? Is my ZX-L shot?

08-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No ideas, as I am not familiar with this model. However, I am inclined to think that perhaps the film is slipping on the tabs that grab the film?
08-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Chris, who is this Eric that you speak of? Does he repair cameras, and if so, do you have any contact info?
08-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eric Hendrickson - Pentax Camera Service

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
Chris, who is this Eric that you speak of? Does he repair cameras, and if so, do you have any contact info?
Eric worked for various iterations of Pentax (Honeywell, Asahi and Pentax USA) for 20 years as a flash, then camera repair technician, and eventually manager of the Chicago service center. For another 12 or so years until 2004 he owned Premier Camera Service, an independent camera repair facility specializing in Pentax equipment.

Many here believe (I include myself) Eric is the best Pentax repair expert in North America (could be anywhere, but I've only tried USA repairs).

Here is a link to his website and email aaddress / Contact info. Home - Pentax Camera Service

I would review all the pages linked on the right to understand what he does for the $55 or $60 you will spend.

BTW - if you send him your camera and you don''t accept the bid, he sends it back to you at his expense with no charge for the estimate - you are only out the cost of shipping your camera to him for evaluation.

Mark Hama in Georgia http://www.markhama.com/ was another high-quality resource, but he is better for Yashica and Leica, and he has gotten pretty slow lately, in my opinion.

08-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, Monochrome
08-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
No ideas, as I am not familiar with this model. However, I am inclined to think that perhaps the film is slipping on the tabs that grab the film?
You are right in-line with the problem Jg, I have also found some students loading the film improperly causing the slip the OP is describing. My advice read the manual with the camera and make sure your film is being loaded correctly. If one does not have the manual it can be downloaded (please do not pay some fool on E-way for a manual you can download for free) its right here Pentax Imaging - Manuals & Literature.

Wendy