Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Has anyone determined if the MZ-S has the brass or plastic gear yet?

Read post #17 in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/346785-looking-buy-mz-s-common-issues.html

Chris

06-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Chris - thanks. That's a bummer. I just got an MZ-S in April for my birthday, direct from Japan and not inexpensive. I do like it a lot, I guess I'll use it happily until something goes wrong, if it does. According to the data imprinting, the camera already has done 270 rolls.
06-21-2017, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
camera already has done 270 rolls.
I wonder what the shutter was rated at as maximum use, that that is a potential 9720 shutter actuation, not many really. I know that they are talking mirror gear and film transport, but still not many really.
06-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I just remembered, the first MZ-L that I got off Ebay failed halfway thru the test roll of film, I have had that and two MZ-7's fail so far.

07-23-2017, 10:15 PM   #20
Forum Member

Interesting. Do you know where to find a replacement metal mirror/shutter gear? Availability seems to have dried up.
07-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's the thread that specifies the source of the replacement brass gear:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/39450-mz5n-mirror-blocked-service-manual.html

I do not know if it is still available.

Chris
07-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by climbmountainway Quote
Interesting. Do you know where to find a replacement metal mirror/shutter gear? Availability seems to have dried up.
I have a few that I ordered last year. I tried my hand at fixing a MZ-5n and failed. So as of last year they remained available.

07-27-2017, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #23

I successfully did the brass gear swap on my MZ-3 several years ago. It's rather fiddly if you avoid the major teardown required to remove the motor.
10-17-2017, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I decided to take a chance on a ZX-L from KEH. So far so good - no problems. The bottom plate shows 2002, but also shows Asahi Optical Co. so it may or may not have the brass gear.

After having, and selling, an MZ-7, a ZX-5n, and a couple of MZ-S's I missed having a modern / late model autofocus film camera. If the gear problem wasn't so prevalent I probably would have gone for a ZX-5n again.

Fingers crossed on the ZX-L. It handles well (like all of this generation of Pentax) and the ZX-L is loaded up with all the features I need. To my ear, the ZX-L has the best shutter/winder sound of the bunch too. Maybe something about that 1/4000 shutter.
03-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I decided to take a chance on a ZX-L from KEH. So far so good - no problems. The bottom plate shows 2002, but also shows Asahi Optical Co. so it may or may not have the brass gear.

After having, and selling, an MZ-7, a ZX-5n, and a couple of MZ-S's I missed having a modern / late model autofocus film camera. If the gear problem wasn't so prevalent I probably would have gone for a ZX-5n again.

Fingers crossed on the ZX-L. It handles well (like all of this generation of Pentax) and the ZX-L is loaded up with all the features I need. To my ear, the ZX-L has the best shutter/winder sound of the bunch too. Maybe something about that 1/4000 shutter.
I really like my ZX-L as well. I got the battery grip for it too, and it handles well and has excellent features. I hope it continues to hold up. I'm hanging on to my broken ZX-5N as well, some day I'll screw my courage to the sticking place, order a replacement gear, and dive in.
03-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #26
Forum Member

Need Help Diagnosing a ZX-7

I have a ZX-7 that I bought some time ago with a lens I wanted. I decided it was time to see if the camera is working as it looks to be in great shape, so I put in some batteries. The panel lit up, as did the date back. The meter works, as does the autofocus and the flash pops up if the light is not sufficient. I can see fine through the lens to focus, etc. and I put some film in the camera which advanced to the first exposure. With the shutter button half way down, I can adjust the aperature and everything looks fine. When I press the shutter button all the way to take a picture, however, I hear a motor sound for a second or two and nothing more happens. No shutter click or film advance. Is this the dreaded mirror gear failure? Thanks for the help. Rob
03-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sandstone Quote
I have a ZX-7 that I bought some time ago with a lens I wanted. I decided it was time to see if the camera is working as it looks to be in great shape, so I put in some batteries. The panel lit up, as did the date back. The meter works, as does the autofocus and the flash pops up if the light is not sufficient. I can see fine through the lens to focus, etc. and I put some film in the camera which advanced to the first exposure. With the shutter button half way down, I can adjust the aperature and everything looks fine. When I press the shutter button all the way to take a picture, however, I hear a motor sound for a second or two and nothing more happens. No shutter click or film advance. Is this the dreaded mirror gear failure? Thanks for the help. Rob
That's how my MZ5N sounded before it died.
03-12-2018, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I've since taken a gamble and added an MZ-5n and and MZ-3 to the stable. So far all three cameras are still working well.

But I have ordered some replacement gears from that custom machine shop, just in case I need them one day. Too bad parts from Pentax aren't available.
12-28-2022, 01:45 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
The Pentax replacement part was motor with brass gear.
Unfortunately this item is no longer available from Pentax.
Some used cameras out there may have been upgraded.
Short of a full teardown there's really no way of knowing.

The brass gear can still be ordered (though not from Pentax), and usually the motor itself is fine, so these cameras can still be repaired. Do you know if Eric would do the job if the gear was supplied to him?

---------- Post added 06-12-2017 at 08:21 PM ----------

Interesting info from user violini (who has replaced a number of broken gears in MZ series cameras) - taken from this thread on the MZ-5n:

If true, then the MZ-6, which was introduced in 2001, may well have some bodies with an OEM brass gear.

---------- Post added 06-12-2017 at 08:26 PM ----------

Yes, I did, thanks. I was already aware of this, though.

I thought I bump this thread for the benefit of future Pentaxians looking for a reliable AF SLR because this thread is what lead me to this finding as well as it is the first hit on Google.

Long story short, MZ-cameras with factory brass gears can only come from either MZ-6 or MZ-S as far as I know. For MZ-6's, hunt for one with a high serial number starting with 5 or 6 and labelled "Pentax Corporation" instead of "Asahi Opt. Co. Ltd". It will very likely have a brass gear. See attached photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by Murdoko; 12-28-2022 at 02:02 PM.
12-28-2022, 07:39 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murdoko Quote
I thought I bump this thread for the benefit of future Pentaxians looking for a reliable AF SLR because this thread is what lead me to this finding as well as it is the first hit on Google.

Long story short, MZ-cameras with factory brass gears can only come from either MZ-6 or MZ-S as far as I know. For MZ-6's, hunt for one with a high serial number starting with 5 or 6 and labelled "Pentax Corporation" instead of "Asahi Opt. Co. Ltd". It will very likely have a brass gear. See attached photos.
I've found factory brass gears in an MZ-3 (Pentax Assembled in Philippines, 5748202) and a ZX-5n (Asahi Assembled in Philippines, 9479969). But yeah, you're best bet is something labeled Pentax Corp. and assembled in the Philippines.