Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2017, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hello old friend MX

Hello

My father passed away and I got my hands on his black MX again. I probably miss him ...

I used it at two trips with my family. I am rusty ... but two shots of the kids came out so amazing that all want that saw them went wow ... U know that family warm sunny feeling of the 80s on print.

I was amazed to read that DSLR users could find educational the experience of shooting film fully mechanical. My father has taught me to focus, use the light meter and shoot when I was at elementary school. I went ... "What are they talking about...?"

Anyhow, I am interested to buy a 35mm lens. I will be using for street photography and during trips. I live in the Mediterranean so it is quite sunny. Sorry but I don't understand the technical specs I read on other threads ... Mounts, etc ... to understand and evaluate.

Do you think that it worths the purchase?

Thank in advance

Last edited by Kupepe; 06-19-2017 at 06:47 AM.
06-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome,
For travel with the MX, consider the small and versatile
SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 40mm
It is of same vintage as the MX.
https://app.box.com/s/daohlep6y6t4z2mw2sy01qj0ye7o15wp
06-19-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Sure it's worth it! If not abused your MX will work well for a long time.
If required there are people who can still repair most common problems.
Film photography, especially 35mm, has been gaining in popularity lately.

A 35mm lens is a good choice; it's my favorite focal length for general photography.
There are Pentax f/3.5. f/2.8 and f/2.0 manual focus lens models.
You might prefer the tiny SMC Pentax-M 40/2.8 lens mentioned.

Welcome to Pentax Forums and good luck in your new Pentax adventure!

Chris
06-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kupepe Quote
My father passed away and I got my hands on his black MX again. I probably miss him ...

I was amazed to read that DSLR users could find educational the experience of shooting film fully mechanical. My father has taught me to focus, use the light meter and shoot when I was at elementary school.
Welcome aboard and it sounds like your father taught you well. It's only appropriate since it was just Father's Day here in the US this past Saturday.

The MX is a particularly eye opening experience especially for those coming from the tiny viewfinder equipped DSLRs due to the biggest magnification full info viewfinder in the smallest fully manual SLR body ever.

You will find out that any Pentax fixed focal length lens - provided it was not mishandled, will not be the limiting factor in capturing images!

Good luck and post images and experiences when you can!

06-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry but I don't understand the technical specs I read on other threads ... Mounts, etc ... to understand and evaluate.
No-one has addressed this particular point, so I'll have a go. Sorry if I'm being too basic for you. The MX camera has a Pentax K-mount - this means that any lens with a K-mount can be used on it, with the caveat that no lens will autofocus - however, it appears that you already have focus and exposure well in hand.

Some more modern lenses have no aperture control, relying on the camera to provide this - again, your MX cannot do this. I have had success getting manual lenses (28/35/40/50) from Ebay at very reasonable prices, which I use on my DSLR. Should you wish to use M42 screw-mount lenses, you will need an adaptor for this, but there are several threads on this site giving advice on this.

Good luck, and have fun.
06-20-2017, 12:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Smallest ok if you don't have big hands.

SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm glad to read that you're enjoying the MX, especially as it belonged to your father. It's a great little camera.

Any 35mm lens with a K-mount will work on the MX as long as it has an aperture ring on it (the most modern one does not). the M series 35mm f/2.8 recommended by the previous reviewer is very good but quite rare. The f/2 version is also extremely good (it's my favourite manual 35mm), also quite rare and generally much more expensive. Unfortunately, 28mm k-mount lenses for film are much more common than the more useful (in my opinion) 35mm focal length.

I think it's a very good focal length to have available, especially for shooting travel and street photography. Whether it's worth it depends on how much use and enjoyment you will get from it, but one benefit of old manual lenses is that they can usually be sold on without making a loss if you decide not to keep them.
06-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm glad to read that you're enjoying the MX, especially as it belonged to your father. It's a great little camera.

Any 35mm lens with a K-mount will work on the MX as long as it has an aperture ring on it (the most modern one does not). the M series 35mm f/2.8 recommended by the previous reviewer is very good but quite rare. The f/2 version is also extremely good (it's my favourite manual 35mm), also quite rare and generally much more expensive. Unfortunately, 28mm k-mount lenses for film are much more common than the more useful (in my opinion) 35mm focal length.

I think it's a very good focal length to have available, especially for shooting travel and street photography. Whether it's worth it depends on how much use and enjoyment you will get from it, but one benefit of old manual lenses is that they can usually be sold on without making a loss if you decide not to keep them.
Confirm rare: a similar /2.8 28mm is lot easier to find. But also needs small hands.

06-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #9

Original Poster
So what would be a logical price for the 35mm ?

06-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So what would be a logical price for the 35mm ?
Since it is used, it will depend on condition and where you buy it. Keh.com lists a couple of manual 35mm lenses from $99 - $190.
06-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There is not a large premium you need to be patient! I got first 28mm and waited long time for 35mm.
06-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Confirm rare: a similar /2.8 28mm is lot easier to find. But also needs small hands.
Eh? I just had a play with my M28/f2.8, no dramas, and I can't say I've ever been accused of having 'small' hands..?
06-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Eh? I just had a play with my M28/f2.8, no dramas, and I can't say I've ever been accused of having 'small' hands..?
Some people don't like small lenses totally subjective I think but people are like that.
06-21-2017, 02:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I don't think there's much of a size difference between the 28/2.8 and the 35/2.8. These days the only 28/2.8 I have is the Pentax A and it's easy to use with big hands.

From memory, I paid around €40 for my 35/2.8 and around €85 for my 35/2, though the latter was attached to an old film camera and the seller (and most bidders) didn't know it's real value, so I got a great deal.
6 Days Ago   #15

Original Poster
I got 2 cases in Germany with 185 euros

I guess I am doing the waiting game.