Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

ME Super erratic shutter speed

I've actually got 3 ME supers. I've had my original one for over 10 years and its fine. I bought a non functioning one for spares when I lost the metal cap on the cocking lever. Then about 6 weeks ago I spotted an almost mint black ME Super on a London market stall. I do like my Pentax in black (my MX is black) so I bought it for a very reasonable 20 uk pounds. I tested it before I bought it and it seemed fine but when I put film in it, a problem was observed.

On the first shot, the shutter is very slow... about 1/2 second. The next shot seems a bit faster and subsequent shots seem to be just right. If I wait about 15 minutes and start shooting again, the cycle starts again.

I don't feel its a mechanical problem. I think there may be problems with the electronics (it has had new batteries). Searching these forums and others, it does seem reasonably common but no one seems to have a definitive cure. I might strip down my non working ME super with a view to figuring out how easy it would be to swap the electronics over but I would be glad of any advice or to hear the opinions of others?

06-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
On the first shot, the shutter is very slow... about 1/2 second. The next shot seems a bit faster and subsequent shots seem to be just right. If I wait about 15 minutes and start shooting again, the cycle starts again.
Is shutter slow or is it the mirror? The shutter won't open until the mirror is up. You should be able to watch both with the back open and no lens mounted. I suggest using 1/15s or slower so that you can easily see the movements of both curtains. If your shutter is "lazy" (one or both curtains running slow...>1/100s top-to-bottom) or jams, the usual suspects would be physical damage to the blades and/or an attempt to lubricate the track/blades. The shutter timing is electronic (quartz) and when it fails, shutter simply dies and will not fire at all.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-22-2017 at 01:32 PM.
06-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I might strip down my non working ME super with a view to figuring out how easy it would be to swap the electronics over but I would be glad of any advice or to hear the opinions of others?
If all you want is a black body with good works, it is probably easiest to simply swap the top and bottom plates along with the back and whatever other externals onto one of your good bodies rather than try and solder in replacement electronics.

Steve
06-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Steve, you have made me realise that I need to do a bit more testing. I shoot mostly in aperture priority mode so I need to check out the behaviour in manual and 1/125 modes. As for swapping the black bits over to the silver ME Super.... the top and bottom plates should be quite easy but I'm sure I've read that the bezel is trickier to remove.

06-23-2017, 12:11 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I had almost the same problem with my ME super. Shutter would only release with some delay after a short time not firing it. In the end it was another variant of the known sticky shutter syndrome. I didn't attempt to fix it myself (there are threads with links here on the forums, search for ME and sticky shutter). I had it repaired at a local Shop for 70 EUR, which it was worth to me (black model, too).
Good luck with yours!
06-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've done some more testing and the problem does occur when set to 1/125 which is purely mechanical mode so that does seem to eliminate the electronics..... which is a good thing. Given the distance from me to Eric and the fact that I've got about 6 other working film bodies, I'll probably strip it down myself for a CLA and hope that I can get it working again.

Thanks to all for their input.