Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #1

Asahi Flex buying tips

I have decided that I "need" an Asahiflex for my collection. There are alot out there of varying price-- any recommendations on what to look out for before buying? Shutter speeds, mirror lockup issues, etc?

06-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey.

Did you read the thread Asahiflex, collecting a gem?

These old ladies will need service, and I only know of Eric Hendrickson who still does these. Known issues are incorrect shutter speed, broken, or stiff shutter curtains, desilvered mirror, rust.

Stuck mirrors are often due to issues with the shutter curtains or mechanism.

Spare parts are hard, if not impossible to find. Eric does make new curtains and he'll fix shutter speeds if possible.

Lenses might suffer fungus, haze or dust as well as really oily aperture blades. stiff focusing and broken aperture mechanism. but in general I cannot say that the lenses all have problems, the ones I've come across has in general been ok with a few exceptions.
06-24-2017, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're buying on an auction site, some sellers (one in Aus. in particular) have an inflated sense of their value. They'll tempt you with a glowing headline, list at a ridiculous BIN price, then reveal numerous faults in the description. Beware the beauty queens listed as Display Only at an inflated price. Typically they are parts donor shells. You're far better served to pay a reasonable price for a working copy with rub marks, and then have a CLA from Eric.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-24-2017 at 02:15 PM.
06-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I totally agree!

06-24-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Asahiflex Service

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hey.

Did you read the thread Asahiflex, collecting a gem?

These old ladies will need service, and I only know of Eric Hendrickson who still does these. Known issues are incorrect shutter speed, broken, or stiff shutter curtains, desilvered mirror, rust.

Stuck mirrors are often due to issues with the shutter curtains or mechanism.

Spare parts are hard, if not impossible to find. Eric does make new curtains and he'll fix shutter speeds if possible.

Lenses might suffer fungus, haze or dust as well as really oily aperture blades. stiff focusing and broken aperture mechanism. but in general I cannot say that the lenses all have problems, the ones I've come across has in general been ok with a few exceptions.
Hi,

F16 Cameraservice.com.au will service any Asahiflex for you, here in Brisbane, Australia.

Regards.