Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1958 Asahi Pentax "K"

Have any of you had much experience with a 1958 "K"? I just bought one. Looks to be in good shape, the only problem I can find is that it's capping at 500 and 1000. I have no intention of letting it sit on a shelf unused. I assume Eric works on these?

06-26-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by conniption Quote
Have any of you had much experience with a 1958 "K"? I just bought one. Looks to be in good shape, the only problem I can find is that it's capping at 500 and 1000. I have no intention of letting it sit on a shelf unused. I assume Eric works on these?
Yes, I have one that Eric CLA'd for me. Lots of fun to use. Speeds can be a simple adjustment and lube or something more involved and expensive. Email him pentaxrepairs@aol.com, I think.
06-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, I have one that Eric CLA'd for me. Lots of fun to use. Speeds can be a simple adjustment and lube or something more involved and expensive. Email him pentaxrepairs@aol.com, I think.
Monochrome, was it a simple CLA for yours?
06-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine ended up needing parts replaced while Eric had it. I had another working K so I sent it to him to cannibalize the needed bits. Now I have a near perfect, CLAd K and a beautiful parts camera that I can't get $5 on ebay so I decided to keep it just in case I need parts again (doubtful).

06-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Monochrome, was it a simple CLA for yours?
Yes, but Eric quotes the cost of repair including parts in advance. If you decline he sends your camera back at his expense. I had planned for $100 and it was less - don't remember exactly how much.
06-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, but Eric quotes the cost of repair including parts in advance. If you decline he sends your camera back at his expense. I had planned for $100 and it was less - don't remember exactly how much.
Well worth it I would say. I'm amazed how well this thing is put together
06-27-2017, 01:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck with the repair. Those ladies are small gems that deserves to be used. Do post some pics of it and from it

06-27-2017, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Good luck with the repair. Those ladies are small gems that deserves to be used. Do post some pics of it and from it
When I went to pick it up I was expecting to see a big lumbering beast of a thing. Instead what I saw was a beautifully small, refined piece of design. Revolutionary when you look at what was the norm just a couple of years before. So much good, simplified industrial design came out of that era.
06-27-2017, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I went to pick it up I was expecting to see a big lumbering beast of a thing. Instead what I saw was a beautifully small, refined piece of design. Revolutionary when you look at what was the norm just a couple of years before. So much good, simplified industrial design came out of that era.
I use 50's-era Pentax cameras to (also) honor all the hand work that went into assembling them
06-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I saw that one pop up on craigslist - glad it went to a fellow Pentaxian on the forum. The K is a svelte little thing, isn't it? I had one years ago as well.
06-27-2017, 03:25 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I brought my black K out today. Using film is slow, you think longer, look for the image, measure light and adjust aperture and shutter. Shoot and hope it turns out nice.

Photo of todays kit can been seen in the gearp0rn thread.
06-27-2017, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
I saw that one pop up on craigslist - glad it went to a fellow Pentaxian on the forum. The K is a svelte little thing, isn't it? I had one years ago as well.
The seller was a really nice woman, she regretted posting it so cheaply. I gave her more than she was asking for it when I saw how nice it was. You're in the Vancouver area?
06-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The seller was a really nice woman, she regretted posting it so cheaply. I gave her more than she was asking for it when I saw how nice it was. You're in the Vancouver area?
Yep - out in the valley.

At that price, I knew it wouldn't last long, and I knew there wasn't much point in trying for it.

You should send it to Eric for a CLA if you want to use it.

---------- Post added 06-27-2017 at 09:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
I brought my black K out today. Using film is slow, you think longer, look for the image, measure light and adjust aperture and shutter. Shoot and hope it turns out nice.

Photo of todays kit can been seen in the gearp0rn thread.
Yes, I saw that - lovely.

If that K had been black, I would have tried for it!
06-27-2017, 10:29 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Yep - out in the valley.

At that price, I knew it wouldn't last long, and I knew there wasn't much point in trying for it.

You should send it to Eric for a CLA if you want to use it.

---------- Post added 06-27-2017 at 09:06 PM ----------

Yes, I saw that - lovely.

If that K had been black, I would have tried for it!
It's headed to Eric as soon as I get my KX back from him.
I had to move fast to get that K, every Pentaxien in the lower mainland was on her like a pack of wolves...
06-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's headed to Eric as soon as I get my KX back from him.
I had to move fast to get that K, every Pentaxien in the lower mainland was on her like a pack of wolves...
Almost like the story about granny, the wolf, and the girl with the red riding hood.

Unsure where you fit in?