Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #1

Pentax P3 With a loose Film Advance Lever

Hey all!
I just inherited a Pentax P3 from my uncle, but alas the film advance lever won't advance anything and because of that the shutter won't fire!
I'm not sure exactly what to do in this situation as I can't figure out how to get the top cover off to see if there's a gear slipped or something. Other than that the camera looks like it's in excellent near perfect condition. Any advice?

07-21-2017, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I envy people who try and fix older cameras, but it's a labor of love. Same thing happened to my P30T. There are manuals drifting around of course, if you want to do it yourself. But I'm afraid they aren't worth fixing as one can pick up a nice used one, often with a 50mm lens for less than $50 on the used market.
07-21-2017, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The gears slipped on my P30T, which is a close cousin of the P3, a while back and it's a fairly easy repair - the trick now is to find someone tolerably near you who can do it. This depends on where you live.

Repair and general service is probably better for an inherited camera than DIY, as they can also ensure that the shutter speeds are calibrated to spec and the meter is reading appropriately, as well as replacing the light seals, giving everything a good clean, and generally getting the camera back as close to factory spec as possible.

The P3 is a great little camera for someone getting into (or back into) film, as it is compact, easy to load and all the controls are self-evident. And if you have Pentax-A lenses for it (chances are it came with one), you can let the camera handle exposure for you and concentrate on focus and composition if you so choose. Definitely one worth fixing.

---------- Post added 21-07-17 at 08:29 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
I envy people who try and fix older cameras, but it's a labor of love. Same thing happened to my P30T. There are manuals drifting around of course, if you want to do it yourself. But I'm afraid they aren't worth fixing as one can pick up a nice used one, often with a 50mm lens for less than $50 on the used market.
Given that this one is passed down from a family member, I can well imagine that OP might prefer to put the effort into repair over replacement.
07-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
I should have probably mentioned I have fixed a K1000 and a Kx myself earlier this year but the method to get the top plate off is apparently different the newer the camera you go lol. Just can't seem to find any guide on how to disassemble them or anything. The service manual has pictures of it already disassembled and that's not very helpful lol.

07-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
Good news everyone!
Got the lever to crank by over cranking it a bit and now its advancing fine.
That being said however it only fires every now and again and it looks like the curtain is getting stuck. Not sure what to do at this point lol
07-22-2017, 12:13 AM   #6

That's the easiest way to break a camera, now you know. lol.