Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #1

Difference between Pentax KX and MX???

Does anyone know the difference between the Pentax KX and MX?

So far, all I've found is the size and match-needle vs. led light.

Thanks!!

07-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
KX has mirror lockup control.
MX has much larger viewfinder magnification, interchangeable screens and film back.
07-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KX has a depth of field checker
07-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Motor Drive was a special order modification for the KX, so most of them aren't capable of using one. On the MX it was a standard feature and you had a choice of winder (2fps) or motor drive (5fps) that will work with any MX. I find the interchangeable screen to be the nicest feature - I really like to use a grid screen.

07-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
KX has a depth of field checker
So does the MX,
push the self timer lever toward the lens mount.
I think all the M bodies did this,

MX also has mirror lock up if you gently "tap" the shutter release. Not documented, but a well known feature or quirk.
07-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
I think all the M bodies did this,
No. They do not.
07-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All you need to know is on this site Pentax Camera Bodies

07-29-2017, 09:56 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Viernes Quote
Does anyone know the difference between the Pentax KX and MX?
There is more to comparison than a table of features. Implementation details count as do little things such as form factor and suitability to task. I passed on buying an MX new back-in-the-day and have little inclination to own one now. The body in general is a little small for my hands and I found the shutter speed dial difficult to use with camera at eye.

I do own a KX, which I purchased about eight years ago. I have never considered it to be a larger MX despite the similarity in feature set. I like the KX viewfinder style a lot more.*

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
MX also has mirror lock up if you gently "tap" the shutter release. Not documented, but a well known feature or quirk.
Some would consider that behavior a bug or a buggy feature, at best (does not work consistently).

Steve

* Truth be told, I consider the Nikon FM2 to better than either the KX or MX except that it does not support K-mount.
07-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

They are both great cameras. The KX has a much nicer feel to the shutter speed dial. You can actually turn it with one finger while looking through the viewfinder. The KX has mirror lock up as an intentional feature, not an unadvertised magic trick that you must do to get it to work. The KX also has a much nicer meter readout (subjective). The MXs only advantage (subjective) over the KX is that it is smaller.
07-29-2017, 11:12 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've found the MX's viewfinder to qt times be uncomfortably big. The KX also gives you more to hold on to.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-30-2017, 04:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own and like a lot both cameras . I think that the life cycle of KX was too short , due to tendence to miniaturization in ASahi at that time , perhaps forced by the succes of Olympus OM system. In my opinion one of the most important differences is the photocell , since one of the most important features of the MX at that time was its new GPD cell ( Gallium photo diode ) , that according to Pentax , was 1000 times faster than the CdS cells , and completely insensitive to infrared rays , and therefore with better measurement accuracy every time than SPD
07-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've found the MX's viewfinder to qt times be uncomfortably big. The KX also gives you more to hold on to.

The MX apparent viewing distance is less. This forces you to move your eye about to see all areas of the image.
The KX screen appears slightly further away and is easier to see in a single glance.

The MX exposure LEDs sometimes seem to disappear in bright light and are an advantage only in near-darkness.
The KX analog match-needle and scale exposure display is more intuitive and far easier to see in moderate to bright light.

My major gripe with the MX finder is that semicircular shutter speed display intrudes deep into the screen,
obscuring part of the viewing area, thus making composing more difficult.

Size matters in this case. IMO the MX suffers over-miniaturization. For ergonomics the KX wins hands down.

Chris
07-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jopenmx Quote
In my opinion one of the most important differences is the photocell , since one of the most important features of the MX at that time was its new GPD cell ( Gallium photo diode ) , that according to Pentax , was 1000 times faster than the CdS cells , and completely insensitive to infrared rays , and therefore with better measurement accuracy every time than SPD
Yes, the GPD (MX) vs. SPD (KX) could be a selling point, though hardly a deal breaker. Response speed is less important with a manual metered camera and the accuracy aspect is academic given that the inherent precision of the exposure system on the MX is +/- 0.5 stops and on the KX, +/- 0.25 stops, best case.* If the SPD on my KX (SPD) has an infrared Achilles heel relative to my Super Program (GPD), it is not evident on direct comparison.

Steve

* Based on the lack of stepless shutter on both cameras, the MX display (1 stop increments for the LEDs), and the documented limitation of the aperture follower (both cameras) to numerical stops only (e.g. 1/2 stop with most stops on most Pentax lenses).
07-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another difference that should be noted is winder/ motor drive support.
I use my wife's former Pentax MX when I require motorized advance.

My Winder MX advances film at close to 3 fps, far faster than most power winders.
A 5 fps Motor Drive MX was offered as well, but it is rare and has NiCd battery issues.

The standard KX body does not support motorized advance.
A special KX Motor Drive model was offered. It is quite rare.
The so-called "motor drive" barely manages an anemic 2 fps.

Chris
07-30-2017, 12:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MX has a slightly better metering range of 1-19EV (KX 1-18EV).

However the KX has a way better ASA range of 8-6400 (MX 25-1600)

I would pick the KX over the MX as it's bigger and the matching needles are easier to use.

Phil.